FWB65 Question - what are they like to shoot?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BarrelRider

FWB65 Question - what are they like to shoot?

Post by BarrelRider »

What does the FWB65 feel like to shoot?

Does the sledge simply move back with no recoil or apparent sight movement and come to rest in a rear position, like with the FWB300S?

If the sledge moves partway back and then rebounds forward back into battery on its own during the firing cycle with 8.2gr/0.53 gram match pellets, is that normal behavior? (Chrono about 395 fps)

Steyr LP50 feels much like a mild firearm with no reciprocating mass, and the semiauto capability is fun.

FWB65s seem like neat machines (and a bit quieter than PCPs).

Thanks!
David M

Re: FWB65 Question - what are they like to shoot?

Post by David M »

I find it difficult to understand the love for FWB 65's.
Yes they were a good airpistol in their day (1965) but were over taken by the Mod 100 in 1988.
The PCP pistol has been around since the Morini in 1992 and PCP leaves manual pump pistols for dead.
Parts are nearly impossible to find, let alone someone to fix them.
They have not been seen on the competition scene since the early 90's.
rkamy

Post by rkamy »

The thing shoots with no felt recoil and thus no sight movement. There is absolutely no problem at all when it comes to parts and service.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

The FWB 65 pistols are based on the same “ride the rails” sledge recoilless system as the FWB 300 series.

If your particular pistol is the older version with a single main spring, velocities should be around 450 fps with a light (7 grain) pellet, the newer versions with double springs will shoot over 500 fps.

Did you adjust the pistol to recoil/recoilless mode before shooting the pistol? If the pistol is tilted a bit downwards during the firing cycle, the pistol will rebound back into battery.

Has the pistol been replaced with new seals? Check the buffer, breech, and piston seals. A worn seal(s) or part(s) may also cause the the sledge to rebound forward.

The FWB 65 series are built like a tank and are the crème de la crème of spring piston pistols, a true delight to shoot and has the heirloom quality to be passed down to your son/daughter and grand kids!
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

David M wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 amI find it difficult to understand the love for FWB 65's. Parts are nearly impossible to find, let alone someone to fix them.
The FWB 65 series are true classics in the olympic shooting world. They have won more medals than any other air pistol in their day. How can anyone not love them? FWB still has spare parts for the pistol and a competent "air smith" should be able to fix them. Heck, I changed the seals on my FWB 80 by myself only with the exploded parts diagram, but it took me three days to figure out how to reassemble the darn pistol....
Rover

Post by Rover »

After getting "whupped" at Camp Perry, I bought a 65 from Champion's Choice on commercial row there. I needed lots more practice and a 65 was really the only game in town. I later bought a 90 and shot my first 100 using it.

I have been recommending them and SSPs to shooters wanting to get into the game cheaply, not to mention they are just "grab and go."

Admittedly, they are not as "tweakable" as the new toys or as easy to dry fire, but they ARE accurate, recoilless, and pleasant to shoot.

If you raise the muzzle after a shot, the "works" will stay to the rear, but drop forward if you put the muzzle down.
mister G

Post by mister G »

As the OPs have said, it's old technology and, if you're looking for an inexpensive competition pistol, this might satisfy your needs. I had one back in the 60s and was able to improve the trigger without destroying the mechanism. RWS regular pellets, even Daisy, work fine.

My next AP was the Domino 604 and it was competitive. Finally, I bought the Steyr and never looked back. Took it to the Nationals in Scottsdale and did "OK".
spektr

Post by spektr »

I started shooting Air at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim on an FWB 65, They are very honest pistols. You need to be slow and methodical with them. They like to be loaded slowly, pulling the charging handle back fast isn't a good thing for them. The triggers were pretty darn good, but FWB has triggers down to an art form. The upright grip angle isn't my favorite, but its quite 45 like and most people like the feel and balance. It shoots slow, so it has a short barrel but that doesn't hurt its ability to score. I would shoot one again, but maybe not as much as a PCP pistol since it is a bit of work to cock each shot. A wonderful change of pace gun, it has a lot in common with my 777 Daisy. Its a tack driver from the old school and completely able to keep up today in the hands of a good shooter
mister G

Post by mister G »

Several FWB 65 shooters I competed have done a home-grown trigger jobs on their triggers with success . Don't be afraid to go inside and carefully smooth the cast mating parts. IMO lubricating doesn't do the job that smoothing will.
I agree that the 777 was much better.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

If you like riding a horse to the shops for milk, love lace up shoes and prefer buttons rather than a zip on your trouser fly you will adore it.
sparky

Post by sparky »

I shot one back in high school, almost 30 years ago. The receiver simply slides back; no perceived recoil. It doesn't rebound forward. IIRC, when you recocked them, it would slide forward and reset. I recall the triggers being very good. Overall, still a very competent gun, just lacking the degree of adjustability found in modern competition air pistols.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

no perceived recoil.
You have to be kidding right ?

Maybe it’s a hemisphere problem but down here in the south they go “ choonk ka Choonk” and any resemblance to “no perceived recoil” is non existent.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I think people read the "recoilless" hype & believe it... It's a very clever system, because (give of take some slight friction), the free sliding action means the recoil isn't imparted to the shooter until after the pellet is long gone. There is definitely a small jolt when the action hits the stop at the end of its travel. The initial stage of "recoil" that occurs immediately after firing is very light & relatively prolonged as the barrel & action slides to the rear. It's more of a very gently shove than any normal recoil.

Maybe if the oil on the sliding bits has gone, all the recoil gets eaten up by friction, but both the 65's I've shot and the 150 (rifle with same action design) had a very perceivable recoil. It's just very different from what one would expect, especially with the piston & spring flying around inside.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

OP beware If you purchase one as you also may that they are very primitive and imo are only marginally better than a slingshot.
sparky

Post by sparky »

deadeyedick wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 pm
no perceived recoil.
You have to be kidding right ?

Maybe it’s a hemisphere problem but down here in the south they go “ choonk ka Choonk” and any resemblance to “no perceived recoil” is non existent.
Okay, maybe "no perceived recoil" was a bit of an overstatement, but sliding never bothered me and the movement of the sights off target wasn't much...less movement than my Steyr LP1P.
stephen_maly

Post by stephen_maly »

The 65 requires really good follow-through to obtain good scores. The trigger on the one I had was in the wrong position for me (short fingers) but it had a very smooth let-off. As was mentioned earlier; noticeable recoil does not come into play until the pellet has exited the barrel (if the main spring(s) is/are powerful enough). Even with worn seals the gun will not slide "back into battery" on its own (unless you lower the front end; simple physics). They are good guns but they lack the adjust-ability of the newer pistols, and they are noticeably top-heavy (unlike the newer pistols).
BarrelRider

Post by BarrelRider »

Thanks, All, for your responses.

As you may have guessed, I recently got an FWB65 as a change of pace from my LP50 (which I really like).

The sledge is releasing and moving partway back, then rebounding forward faster than the eye can see during the firing cycle. (I can put a thumb up a little ways behind the sledge, and feel the sledge bump it). I thought that wasn’t normal, and various comments above confirm, thank you.

So, I’ll send it in for a checkup.

Thanks also for the history and perspectives.
Aerovolo

Post by Aerovolo »

Hi everyone, where can I send my FWB 65 for a service?
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Check our host's website for his recommendation-

http://www.pilkguns.com/
_nc513_

Post by _nc513_ »

I remember the trigger on mine randomly somehow getting stuck so that when retrying an aborted shot, there would be no pre-travel at all. That could be dangerous, even. Any ideas as to what might've been wrong with the pistol?