Hammerli misfeeding

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Paul

Hammerli misfeeding

Post by Paul »

Sorry in advance for the long post.
I got to try out my new Hammerli SP20 .32 for the first time yesterday.
I am having some feeding problems and am hoping for advice.
I am using factory 98gr Lapua, clean gun, greased buffer.
First round loads fine, never a problem. After the first round, it looks like sometimes the rounds don't get picked up properly, or get jammed on the feed ramp. I had a couple of stovepipes, but mostly it was a round stuck on the feed ramp.
I disassembled the gun, tried adjusting the buffer from normal position to one turn tighter, and also one turn looser. I found the buffer adjustment screw sort of hard to turn, but could verify that the adjustment made a difference in the amount of give when I manually pushed the slide back as far as it would go.
I tried removing the washer between the grip and the gun, which seemed to make things a bit better. The magazines were harder to click in with the washer removed, but I was occasionally able to fire a 5 shot string.
Both magazines appeared to behave the same way.
I did notice a bit of black blowback on the rounds that misfed, and the outsides of the spent cases. Does this mean that the chamber was not as clean as I thought, or is this normal with these rounds that appear to have a waxy coating?
Since the grip has the magazine catch, I guess this spacing is important. Should I try different shim washers?
I am a bit surprised that I am having feeding problems with a gun of this calibre (and cost), and would be relieved to know that the problem is with me.
I will be reloading my own rounds as soon as the dies I ordered come in, but hope to be able to use factory ammunition.
When it works, the gun is very easy to point and shoots incredibly well.
Any help would be appreciated.
paul.ruppert-at-utoronto.ca.42255.0
w. young

Re: Hammerli misfeeding

Post by w. young »

Larry Carter will give you the most accurate and reliable information to your question.
Phone:  (207) 772-0998

wallyis-at-budweiser.com.42265.42255
Nev Cross

Re: Hammerli misfeeding

Post by Nev Cross »

I have had an SP20 for 4 years and the only trouble has been with factory loads. I always load my own and it gives no trouble, feeds every time, no malfunctions. A year ago I bought 5 boxes of PMC factory rounds from a club member and had nothing but trouble with them, the same as you described, stovepipes, jams etc., the problem is that the PMC loads are too soft, they won't cycle the action properley, hence the jams. Do the lapua rounds feel " soft"? if so, that is the problem. I'm sure that once you load your own the jams will stop.
I use 98gn projectiles with 1.7 gns of Winchester 231 powder, the SP20 works fine with this.
nevcross-at-bigpond.com.42286.42255