Feinwerkbau P8X review: how to improve it?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ramon OP

Feinwerkbau P8X review: how to improve it?

Post by Ramon OP »

Hi all,

I've just published a review of the Feinwerkbau P8X air pistol that I thought may be interesting to you: https://www.olympicpistol.com/feinwerkb ... ol-review/

It is an amazingly smooth gun. I think I've done a thorough review, and included a lot of pictures and a couple videos (lockdown obliges: kids in the background).

This is my first pistol review and I would like to know what you are missing from the review as pistol shooters in order to improve it and to format the next ones (Pardini SP New, Toz 35, & Steyr Evo 10).

Thanks for your constructive and helpful feedback :)
Ramon
deadeyedick

Re: Feinwerkbau P8X review: how to improve it?

Post by deadeyedick »

Best AP I have owned.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I put more emphasis on grip rather than the gun itself but the P8X is the best air pistol I've ever shot with. Mine is in a chopped and channelled rink grip.
AJV

Post by AJV »

jbshooter and deadeydick

Just to have a clear sight of your information, can you please tell us what pistol did you have or tried?
Thanks.
AJV

Post by AJV »

Great review. Wondering if K12 was the right choice...
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Compact P8x where through clever design the sight radius can be the same as the long version.
I cannot imagine how a pistol could be any better or more sophisticated, especially the trigger which I consider to be absolute perfection!
Attachments
C7B5814D-5369-4E66-BB69-F67EC7F9EA27.jpeg
C7B5814D-5369-4E66-BB69-F67EC7F9EA27.jpeg (24.96 KiB) Viewed 67214 times
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

jbshooter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:40 pm I put more emphasis on grip rather than the gun itself but the P8X is the best air pistol I've ever shot with. Mine is in a chopped and channelled rink grip.
What is missing in the grip information in the post? 😊
Ramon
william

Post by william »

AJV wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:20 am Great review. Wondering if K12 was the right choice...
Save yourself the exertion and fuggedabouddit. K12 is a great choice. There is absolutely nothing OBJECTIVELY better about the FWB or any other top-end air pistol. At this level it's all about personal preferences and/or willingness to convince yourself of something.
AJV

Post by AJV »

william wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:41 am
AJV wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:20 am Great review. Wondering if K12 was the right choice...
Save yourself the exertion and fuggedabouddit. K12 is a great choice. There is absolutely nothing OBJECTIVELY better about the FWB or any other top-end air pistol. At this level it's all about personal preferences and/or willingness to convince yourself of something.
Yes, i agree.
I've tried some different AP and i think all of them have pros and cons when face each other.
I like K12 a lot, but one thing i would do to make it even better was to make possible to pivot the grip.
rmca

Post by rmca »

The only issue I have with the K12 is the lack of grip angle ajustment.
I believe it's the only current top tier pistol that doesn't allow that adjustment.

If you pick up the gun and don't have o twist your wrist to get the front sight in the middle of the rear one, then go for it.
Otherwise, stay away...

One of, if not the best, mechannical trigger I've tried so far.

Hope this helps
AJV

Post by AJV »

In my case the front sight appears in the middle. Most of the time...
Besides, I was teached that horizontal and vertical correction of front sight position should be made by adjustments on the grip. I'm not sure if it was a good advise but i believe it was (the person who did that has a LP10). What do you think?
Major problem for me is sometimes it seems i cant a little. For that i don't know how to adjust the grip. Anyone knows how to?
AJV

Post by AJV »

Here are the instructions i have for grip adjustments:
Attachments
alterações Punho.jpg
alterações Punho.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 67134 times
AJV

Post by AJV »

rmca wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:13 pm ...
One of, if not the best, mechannical trigger I've tried so far.
Before K12 i had a K2S and it's trigger wasn't inferior. A very under rated pistol in my opinon. Never tried the K10.
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

I have owned a bunch of PCP Air Pistols over the years try to find one that I liked.
The first round was with an LP1, ME162 and p34
I chose the morini then.
I left for a few years and came back last year and picked up a 162el. It was not too bad got into the 530's pretty quickly after 15 years away.
When I tried the K12, "for me" my search was over.
After a year with the K12, I have been averaging 558 in the TT monthly matches
The point is, as others have mentioned, at this level you can't go wrong, just find the one that speaks to you!
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I've owned and regulary shot 162EI, LP10, and LP400. The 162EI was my favourite before the P8X.
The adjustability of everything on the P8X is unmatched by anything else out there.
The P8X factory grip as supplied (large) was mostly fine but needed some putty in places, and the part where the end of the thumb came was too short so the edge dug into the thumb which was a distraction.
The Rink grip (unstippled) is XLRF7 size and has adjusting screws similar to the factory P8X grip. You can see the split line where I removed 2mm to lower the top beavertail down. The pivot insert inside the grip was machined down to get the gun lower into the grip. The factory trigger still sat a bit high even after all the adjustment was taken up so I made an adaptor to lower the trigger assembly. The P8X trigger shoe is a bit short and the ends dug into my finger pad (another distraction) so it was replaced with a metal Walther GSP trigger shoe which has a longer face. The holes in the side of the grip allow you to view the screw adjustments that bear against the gun. The sights are canted a little bit (bottom of grip canted to the left). The result is a gun that gives me the best mental connection with the job in hand.
Attachments
IMG_1738.JPG
AJV

Post by AJV »

👍
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Tangohammerli wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:54 pm The point is, as others have mentioned, at this level you can't go wrong, just find the one that speaks to you!
These days, as I slowly get wobblier, when my pistol speaks to me, it usually says "you must be joking..."
6string

Post by 6string »

I've fallen out of touch with the current crop of air pistols. Last I was able to do first hand comparison, it was stuff like FWB P34, Steyr LP1, LP5, LP10 and and LP50, plus Morini 162 electronic. This review was helpful.
What about noise, compared to others. My Pardini K2s is very loud, especially compared to LP1.
The aforementioned FWB P34 was quite a lot of trouble. It had problems with the regulator (as did the LP1) that made getting through 60 shots a challenge. I have not heard similar complaints with the P40 or others, so maybe FWB got it all worked out?
Is there any cheesy plastic, polymer or carbon fiber on the P8x?

Thanks for your excellent efforts!
spektr

Post by spektr »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Respectfully, I have to disagree a bit with you. You are correct that none of the pistols are objectively better. The caveat in that position is the continuation of the statement to include "IF THEY FIT". I find the P8x and its predecessor the P44 to be head and shoulders above most others in this respect. The range of adjustments is mind boggling.......
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I have owned a P8x and couldn’t imagine another pistol being better in any area though some will be as good.