Feinwerkbau P8X review: how to improve it?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
crankythunder

Re: Feinwerkbau P8X review: how to improve it?

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Ramon:

Thank you for a very detailed review although I did not see any shortcommings mentioned for the FWB. I do not own a air pistol and am thinking about pursueing the sport, the pistol I am looking at is a Steyr LP 50, for the simple reason that I can do a simulated timed and rapid fire US precision pistol (bullseye competition ) string. Frankly, I really have not tried any air pistols yet and any purchase is a little ways off.

I am looking forward to your review of the Pardini SP New. I own and shoot a Pardini SP new and am looking forward to your review. Since you are in Belgium, you might not be aware that Pardini USA has put forth a number of you tube videos on the maintenance and adjustment of their Pardini Pistols, might want to review those when you get around to doing the Pardini SP review.

Thank you again and I hope it is not too long until the next one.

Regards,
Crankster
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I fully agree with deadeyedick's comment.
I don't know how noise level compares to other guns.
It would be good to have two cylinders in the kit - I think Morini still offers two in a new kit.
TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Ramon,
Thanks for a great review. It is well written and comprehensive. I will look forward to your future reviews.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

I'm currently running a P44 and I'll probably upgrade in 2021 in the anticipation that competitions will begin again. I figure I'll stick with Feinwerkbau since I'm used to the range of adjustments and the P8X seems to be even MORE adjustable than the P44 which is pretty phenomenal.

The only thing that is keeping me from making up my mind on the P8X is, if the gun is so mind-bendingly awesome... why don't I ever see it in the finals of ISSF events? I guess the model before the P44 didn't have a great reputation, but now FWB has made two guns in a row that are apparently second to none in terms of adjustability and performance. Why don't more elite shooters use them?
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

McMadCow wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:10 am I'm currently running a P44 and I'll probably upgrade in 2021 in the anticipation that competitions will begin again. I figure I'll stick with Feinwerkbau since I'm used to the range of adjustments and the P8X seems to be even MORE adjustable than the P44 which is pretty phenomenal.

The only thing that is keeping me from making up my mind on the P8X is, if the gun is so mind-bendingly awesome... why don't I ever see it in the finals of ISSF events? I guess the model before the P44 didn't have a great reputation, but now FWB has made two guns in a row that are apparently second to none in terms of adjustability and performance. Why don't more elite shooters use them?
i am wondering the same thing.
for once, i think FWB is a smaller firm that does not sponsor as many shooters as steyr or morini does.
second, like walther, i guess they are focusing on (and getting more business from) the air rifles
third, the pistol is pretty new. only came out in 2016. so a lot of older shooters are used to their steyr pistols and don;t want to change (mainly for grip customization reasons). the P40 and older FWB got a pretty bad rep, so older shooters stood clear of them.
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
spektr

Post by spektr »

People dont shoot FWB pistols for the same reason people dont shoot Steyr Rifles.
FWB put their focus on rifles and built a winner, and lots of people shoot it at high levels.
Im sure the Steyr and Pardini are phenomenal, but they cant outnumber the FWB horde.
Steyr went with pistols as their focus, same story..... Its very hard and very expensive to get market share in
the 10 meter arena where people dont change equipment for years.

OBTW its worse in Biathlon.... There are 20 year old restocked rifles in top racers hands.....
Vadym

Post by Vadym »

Help me find the FWB P8x parts diagram? I'm interested in the design of the trigger.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

P8X parts diagram: https://gofile.io/d/F4f0tf
Vadym

Post by Vadym »

Thanks, now everything is clear.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

Vadym wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:12 pm Thanks, now everything is clear.
if you have some interesting insight , please do share :)
Vadym

Post by Vadym »

It's just that on another forum there is a similar discussion of this pistol and there were difficulties with setting the trigger. I love to customize triggers for myself and I can give advice, but I don't have P8x and I have not found a description of the operation of its trigger mechanism anywhere, everywhere there are only empty words 'perfect, excellent, great' etc.

I see its similar to p44 and Lp300, isn't it?
Andre Protti

Post by Andre Protti »

HELLO Friends in my opinion the Fwb P8x is the best . in my case the only adjustment was short the first trigger stage travel and ad wiight to as reduce second stage weight. the grip is perfect to me.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

I tried buying the P8X but apparently it has been permanently discontinued. I ended up with a Pardini K12.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

PirateJohn wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:26 pm I tried buying the P8X but apparently it has been permanently discontinued. I ended up with a Pardini K12.
I guess that saves me from myself. I was considering one, although I don't really need one.
rmca

Post by rmca »

PirateJohn wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:26 pm I tried buying the P8X but apparently it has been permanently discontinued. I ended up with a Pardini K12.
Where did you hear that?

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Sporting- ... Model-P-8X
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

rmca wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:12 pm
Where did you hear that?

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Sporting- ... Model-P-8X
I tried to buy one and that's what the sales rep told me.
wabbitswayer

Post by wabbitswayer »

Azmodan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:01 am
McMadCow wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:10 am
The only thing that is keeping me from making up my mind on the P8X is, if the gun is so mind-bendingly awesome... why don't I ever see it in the finals of ISSF events? Why don't more elite shooters use them?
LAMOLLE, Mathilde FRA silver in the last ISSF event, using a P8x.
mhayford45

Post by mhayford45 »

Could someone explain to me why part A in which material is added raises the front sight?
grip adjust.jpg
grip adjust.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 44279 times
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

mhayford45 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:37 pm Could someone explain to me why part A in which material is added raises the front sight?

grip adjust.jpg
Your second finger supports a lot of the weight of the gun. By building up that area the front of the gun naturally points a little higher.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

jbshooter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:14 pm The P8X trigger shoe is a bit short and the ends dug into my finger pad (another distraction) so it was replaced with a metal Walther GSP trigger shoe which has a longer face.
This is a bit belated but jbshooter, where did you get the Walther metal trigger shoe from? I cannot find any reference in either the Walther factory website or in Earl's Repairs in the US to this replacement for the rather disappointing plastic one which, to my mind has a slightly spongy feel; that might be my imagination but that is irrelevant.

Thanks in advance.

Bob