Feinwerkbau P8X review: how to improve it?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jbshooter

Re: Feinwerkbau P8X review: how to improve it?

Post by jbshooter »

Hi,
The trigger shoes are spare parts for Walther GSP and SSP guns.
There are various sorts - plastic or metal, short-stemmed or long-stemmed.
I like them because the curve is comfortable to my finger size/shape.
I make new adaptors to suit the gun I'm fitting it to and cut the stem to suit the adaptor.
left360

Post by left360 »

I really like the pistol for all the reasons already mentioned. The adjustability of the grip, sights and the physical trigger position is impressive. The trigger weight is simple to adjust as well. I find the trigger is very forgiving for lack of a better description.

I do find the threads for the air cylinders to be quite coarse. Somewhat rough too. It definitely is harder to unscrew a full air cylinder from the adaptor than other pistols. It takes a bit of patience to get the cylinder started to screw onto the pistol correctly and then it doesn't screw on all that smoothly. Yes, the threads have grease on them. I don't remember the FWB rifle I had to be like this.

I've had a Morini 162EI for a number of years and some 45,000 shots, all trouble free. The trigger of the Morini is quite nice and extremely consistent over all the years. The Morini just does not have the overall adjustability of the FWB P8x.
eugene

Post by eugene »

I believe the reason for coarse threads is FWB uses a one-piece aluminium cylinder rather than a steel thread flange. Aluminium is very ductile: a fine pitched thread will shear easily.
lakiraly

Post by lakiraly »

I currently own A FWB model 2, P 8X, and a Morini CM 200EI. I sold my Steyr EVO 10 and Walther LP500. They all are highly accurate, it's a matter of personal choice. One feature I really like about my P 8X is the ease of adjusting the rear sight with the turn of a dial..no tools required. I don't really have any suggestions on improvement other than saying it would have been nice if a variety of sized front blades came with the original purchase.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

jbshooter wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:46 pm Hi,
The trigger shoes are spare parts for Walther GSP and SSP guns.
There are various sorts - plastic or metal, short-stemmed or long-stemmed.
I like them because the curve is comfortable to my finger size/shape.
I make new adaptors to suit the gun I'm fitting it to and cut the stem to suit the adaptor.
Got the part number from Walther in Germany. The metal one is an SSP part:

GSP/SSP
TRIGGER BLADE SHORT ALUMINIUM, PIN LENGTH 12MM

Bob
eugene

Post by eugene »

Is there an advantage using a slanted trigger vs. setting a slight angle on the factory one? It's freely articulated on P8X with the ball joint.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Hello
A little off topic.
The putter is very grippy. The orange or blue Lottes trigger blade for Morini CM200 is 30mm long. Depending on the grip design or finger length, the triggerblade can perhaps also be used on the Morini 162.
Lottes trigger Morini 162EI Kopie.jpg
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Two of our shooters have chosen the FW8 P8X, for competition. The pistol is stout- well built, and puts up great results.

We have noticed that it seems to really go through air, though. A cylinder filled to 200 bar is just barely enough to complete a competition with 10, or so, sighters. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there an accuracy drop off point, other than at roughly 100 bar, that one should be aware of?

Question? Is the extra air used, consumed by the air strippers in the barrel? Or, does the absorber require “X” amount of air, thus leading to an “x” amount of air being required to cycle the pistol for each shot? Is there something else, we have not considered?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My first question would be: How high is the velocity set? Especially if you shoot lighter pellets, you may be able to crank back quite a ways without affecting accuracy.

Also, most pistol regulators don't get funky until they are below around 80 to 70 bar, not 100. If you are assuming you are too low on air at 100 bar, you might want to check that. It may be that the P8X regulator sis set for a higher output pressure than Steyrs & Morinis, in which case that would also explain the higher air consumption.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

A guy I shoot with has a P44 that was set at the factory to shoot in the mid 550s, I think with 8 grain pellets. He brought it down to 495 or so, and is enjoying much more shots and quieter shooting. My Steyr was delivered to shoot a 559 average with 7.0 grain pellets. Turning it down gained a huge advantage on air consumption. Just like high powered rifles or sports cars, additionally gains in velocity require energy that is not linear to results.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:07 pm Also, most pistol regulators don't get funky until they are below around 80 to 70 bar, not 100. If you are assuming you are too low on air at 100 bar, you might want to check that. It may be that the P8X regulator sis set for a higher output pressure than Steyrs & Morinis, in which case that would also explain the higher air consumption.
Respectfully, most regulators include a stack of Belleville washers. They need to slip and slide relative each other to work properly. A bit of synthetic oil lubing the tank valve annually, or so, seels to blow thru my P44 and I have a wonderfully stable regulator that runs very low on air pressure with a boost in shot count
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A lot of the published velocity numbers from the factory are for medium to heavy pellets. I recall seeing an LP10 test target where they shot RWS R10's, which are 8.2 grains. If they set the pistol to shoot that at the nominal ~ 155-160 m/sec, it's going to shoot a lot faster with RWS Basics at 7.0 grains, and it's going to use a lot more air than it needs to.
eugene

Post by eugene »

I get a full match and then some (perhaps 3-4 series) on mine from full cylinder. I do feel CM162 lasted more off 200 bar but not by very much.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I get nearly two matches from one cylinder in the P8X. I wish they came with two cylinders though.
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

jbshooter wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:45 am I get nearly two matches from one cylinder in the P8X. I wish they came with two cylinders though.
I get the advertised close to 160 shots per cylinder. My gun came with two cylinders.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i also made a video review of the FWB P8X:

https://youtu.be/WAob5jp5wM8
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

As for the threads on the cylinders, you'd be surprised what a difference the FWB grease makes when applied the the threads. I know what you're thinking,.... it's not BS. I have witnessed it; buy a little tube of FWB grease.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

toddinjax wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:52 pm As for the threads on the cylinders, you'd be surprised what a difference the FWB grease makes when applied the the threads. I know what you're thinking,.... it's not BS. I have witnessed it; buy a little tube of FWB grease.
While I don't use the FWB grease, I use Superlube with some moly powder mixed in on my cylinders. Giant difference. One thumb and finger on and off.
nick marshall

Post by nick marshall »

I owned two P8X up till a couple of days ago. Down to one now.
Improvements to date for me.

Rink grip.
5.2 Front sight.

Just fitted a Steyr trigger blade. I liked the original. But with the Rink grip, I wanted the trigger to be a bit lower. This now feels perfect. So we will see if it does the job.

lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Is the barrel sleeve removable?