Sweaty Hands

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jerry LeVan

Sweaty Hands

Post by Jerry LeVan »

I am sure this was discussed earlier but I cannot find any record in the archives.
As the summer heat and humidity increases I find that my hands are starting to sweat and make the grip on my Morini AP slippery.
Frequent wiping with a towel does not seem to be an adequate solution.
Are there some non-gooey solutions to this problem?
--Jerry
(Was midcoast.com down this weekend? I could not raise TT and was starting to get withdrawal anxiety.)
jerry.levan-at-eku.edu.42221.0
Matt Summers (VA)

Re: Sweaty Hands

Post by Matt Summers (VA) »

I seen a lot of shooters use rosin, but I've found that "DryGrip", an antiperspirant made especially for hands works great. You should be able to find some in the baseball section of a large sporting goods store (Galyans, Big5, Sports Authority, etc, likely right next to the rosin!) (An online search finds it offered at many golf retailers as well). It costs about $5 for a 1.0 oz tube, which should last for about 15-20 applications, depending on how big your hands are. It works much better than the "PowerGrip" rosin in a bottle that I've seen, and doesnt make a mess.
I used DryGrip for the AP relays at nationals this year, and found my hand to be perfectly dry and secure despite the combined efforts of match pressure and the failure of the air conditioning at the range (where temps were in the mid 80's)
matt(ninetyeighteleven)-at-comcast.net.42223.42221
Bruce Braxton

Post by Bruce Braxton »

An old IPSC shooter's trick is to use regular old Arrid Exxtra Dry spray anti-perspirant.
If it will clog up the pores in your armpits, it will do it on your palms.
A better solution is some stuff called "Pistol Pro-Grip" by Krunch Products. It not only has anti-perspirant, but includes a silica abrasive that really does improve the grip.
Pro-Grip may be over-kill for ISSF shooting, as its best point is that it really increases the skin-to-skin friction of a two-handed shooting grip for the action shooting sports.
braxton1-at-aol.com.42245.42221
johnno

Post by johnno »

: I seen a lot of shooters use rosin, but I've found that "DryGrip", an antiperspirant made especially for hands works great. You should be able to find some in the baseball section of a large sporting goods store (Galyans, Big5, Sports Authority, etc, likely right next to the rosin!) (An online search finds it offered at many golf retailers as well). It costs about $5 for a 1.0 oz tube, which should last for about 15-20 applications, depending on how big your hands are. It works much better than the "PowerGrip" rosin in a bottle that I've seen, and doesnt make a mess.
: I used DryGrip for the AP relays at nationals this year, and found my hand to be perfectly dry and secure despite the combined efforts of match pressure and the failure of the air conditioning at the range (where temps were in the mid 80's)

estpoiss-at-hotmail.com.42249.42223
Joe Matusic, MD

Hyperhydrosis

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

Hyperhydrosis is the name of excessive sweating. I have referred quite a few kids to dermatologist for it. Its not a medical problem other than simply having sweaty hands. The dermatologist often use aluminum based antiperspirants such as Drysol (Rx), Certain-dri (OTC), Xerac AC (Rx). Make sure to use an antiperspirant not and deodorant. The sprays might be better than a roll on. I have heard that someone is using botox injections for this, but not sure if its a permanent fix or temporary. You might want to make sure any stuff you add to the grips is ok with any competitive organizations. You PCP will probably not know much about this unles they have it themselves. Ask to see a dermatologist if the OTC stuff is not enough.
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.42252.42221
Christopher

Da stuff gymnists use / sandpaper

Post by Christopher »

Hi Jerry! Wonder if this helps...U can try using da white, powdery stuff gymnists/weight lifters and rock climbers use to keep their hands dry. I think it is commonly called ROSIN. Bowlers also use it.
As for myself, I glued very thin patches of sandpaper in strategic places on the grip. However, if you craft a very fitting grip, you may have to sand down that extra hundreth of an inch to compensate for the thickness of the sandpaper base.
Cheers!

eccletic251266-at-yahoo.co.uk.42293.42245