Tau 200 - Re-charging options ?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bryan Knight

Tau 200 - Re-charging options ?

Post by Bryan Knight »

There are many of us who use the Tau 200 rifle variants as a low-cost introduction to the Olympic air-rifle sport. Tau does supply a small re-charging bottle for use in lieu of the readily available capsules, but it has a rather limited capacity.
In "club usage" a bulk tank is usually available for re-filling these small bottles. However, cost generally prohibits the individual user from having one to hand. Now 'WallyWorld' and others can supply much larger re-chargeable bottles, designed for the paint-ball shooting fraternity, at minimal cost. The problem is obtaining a suitable adapter for the use of these bottles to charge the Tau 200 and other similar CO2 match rifles.
Anybody come up with a suitable, low-cost, and readily available solution ?
Regards,
Bryan - The Fuzzy Limey
bryank471-at-yahoo.com.42210.0
AllenM

Re: Tau 200 - Re-charging options ?

Post by AllenM »

Try this link:
http://www.straightshooters.com/tau/tau7silhoutte.html
They have an adapter for $29.50 if you look towards the end of the ad.
Also try this link:
http://www.mac1airgun.com/bulk.htm
They refer to them as Czech guns and at one time had a PCP conversion for the Tau 200. See http://www.mac1airgun.com/pcpcomponents.html for the PCP conversion.
Also this:
http://www.citlink.net/~schatler/at7.htm
Bryan Knight

Post by Bryan Knight »

Hey Allen - many thanks, I'll take a shufti at them all.
Bryan - The Fuzzy Limey

bryank471-at-yahoo.com.42220.42212
BobZ

Post by BobZ »

: There are many of us who use the Tau 200 rifle variants as a low-cost introduction to the Olympic air-rifle sport. Tau does supply a small re-charging bottle for use in lieu of the readily available capsules, but it has a rather limited capacity.
: In "club usage" a bulk tank is usually available for re-filling these small bottles. However, cost generally prohibits the individual user from having one to hand. Now 'WallyWorld' and others can supply much larger re-chargeable bottles, designed for the paint-ball shooting fraternity, at minimal cost. The problem is obtaining a suitable adapter for the use of these bottles to charge the Tau 200 and other similar CO2 match rifles.
: Anybody come up with a suitable, low-cost, and readily available solution ?
: Regards,
: Bryan - The Fuzzy Limey
Tim McMurray at Mac1 will make you an adaptor to accept a paintball tank.He just made one for me for my Tau-7 (same threads,and piercers etc.).The adaptor costs $45.00 US plus shipping.If you send him one of your piercing caps he will take $7.50 off the price.He is a busy guy so expect about a months wait from time order is placed.Be sure to order the adaptor with a "check valve" to hold the gas charge in the gun, which is differant than the one advertised on his web-site which is meant to work with a tank attached to the gun.

rzovinka-at-hvc.rr.com.42224.42210
John L

Post by John L »

: There are many of us who use the Tau 200 rifle variants as a low-cost introduction to the Olympic air-rifle sport. Tau does supply a small re-charging bottle for use in lieu of the readily available capsules, but it has a rather limited capacity.
: In "club usage" a bulk tank is usually available for re-filling these small bottles. However, cost generally prohibits the individual user from having one to hand.
Is it really that expensive? A tank can be had on ebay for about US$80 or so but w/o the regualtor I think.
Another option that might be worth looking into is going to a local indoor gardening supply store if you have one. They sell CO2 systems and I believe will exchange
your empty tank for a full one if you buy the tank from them.
Maybe it would be too much but by the time you pay Mac1 or others for the fitting and then but paintball tanks I'm not sure you save much. Or am I missing something?
John

Now 'WallyWorld' and others can supply much larger re-chargeable bottles, designed for the paint-ball shooting fraternity, at minimal cost. The problem is obtaining a suitable adapter for the use of these bottles to charge the Tau 200 and other similar CO2 match rifles.
: Anybody come up with a suitable, low-cost, and readily available solution ?
: Regards,
: Bryan - The Fuzzy Limey

jelow1966-at-yahoo.com.42247.42210
Gary

Post by Gary »

: In "club usage" a bulk tank is usually available for re-filling these small bottles. However, cost generally prohibits the individual user from having one to hand.

You can set up to bulk fill your TAU.
#1 get the bulk adapter for the TAU
#2a call or drop in to a gas vendor and ask if they have any used co2 cylinders. If they do they might sell it to you for a decent price.
#2b call a fire extinguisher company, ask if they sell used co2 extinguishers with a co2 valve. You can typically get them cheaper than co2 cylinders.
I would not go smaller than a 5 pound tank, and w/o a syphon tube a 10 pound cylinder is the max I would use. The cost to fill a 10 pound tank is not much more than a 5 pound tank. Getting a syphon tube installed can be expensive, depending on the vendor.
co2 tanks need to be hydro tested, and the test is good for 5 years, so check when the last test was done.
You will also need a low range scale, to weigh the tranfer tank. An inexpensive postal scale will do.
Gary
gsnaka-at-comcast.net.42259.42210
Gary

Re: Tau 200 - Re-charging options ? costs

Post by Gary »

Forgot to list the costs.
: #1 get the bulk adapter for the TAU
> You have to check on this item, I "think" it costs about $25.
: #2a call or drop in to a gas vendor and ask if they have any used co2 cylinders. If they do they might sell it to you for a decent price.
> A new 10 pound aluminum tank w/o syphon costed me about $100, 5 years ago.
: #2b call a fire extinguisher company, ask if they sell used co2 extinguishers with a co2 valve. You can typically get them cheaper than co2 cylinders.
> As I recall a 5 pound tank was less than $75. Call several companies, as the prices will vary a LOT.
: I would not go smaller than a 5 pound tank, and w/o a syphon tube a 10 pound cylinder is the max I would use. The cost to fill a 10 pound tank is not much more than a 5 pound tank, and some commercial gas vendors do not fill anything smaller than 5 pounds. Getting a syphon tube installed can be expensive, depending on the vendor. The smaller vendors might do a better price here.
: co2 tanks need to be hydro tested, and the test is good for 5 years, so check when the last test was done.
> The hydro test will cost about $30, which is why I say you want as much of the 5 years remaining as possible.
: You will also need a low range scale, to weigh the tranfer tank. An inexpensive postal scale will do.
> A postal or kitchen scale is about $40 or less

> total cost
> adapter $25
> tank 80
> scale 35
> --------------
> total $140
> co2 fill about $15-20 per fill.
> Of course depending on what you find locally for the tank and a scale, your price will vary.

: Gary