Bullseye rules--Optics question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

aggshooter

Bullseye rules--Optics question

Post by aggshooter »

I read Target Talk but rarely post and don't participate in Bullseye. I'm hoping someone here can give me a nutshell answer rather than me trying to wade thru a online rulebook.

In another discipline, a rule change is being proposed to allow red dot optics to compete in an open sight category. The basis for the proposal was that red dots do not magnify or magnify perhaps 1.3x. Bullseye discipline was cited as already allowing this. Is this true? If so, what is the ratio of shooters in the same class/category that shoot red dot vs. open sight?

Thanks for any info on this!
Rover

Re: Bullseye rules--Optics question

Post by Rover »

Most Bullseye shooters are now using Red Dots. They are definitely easier to use than iron sights, especially now that most Bullseye shooters are now older, with deteriorating eyes. International pistol does NOT allow anything but iron sights. That's fine, too. Have it YOUR way!
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

In addition to Rover's answer, sights that project something onto the target (read lasers) are not permitted. Traditional glass scopes, with or without magnification are also permitted but seldom used as red dots predominate. Finally, in CMP Excellence in Competition (EIC) matches, the rules are much more restrictive and permit only iron sights, along with a number of restrictions regarding how the gun can be modified.

Dulcmrman
aggshooter

Post by aggshooter »

Thanks for the replies. I can understand why a light weight optic lends itself to easier sighting and better scores.

Some follow up...can you fill me in on the history of the decision to allow red dots? Were they always allowed but the popularity grew? Was there opposition to allowing red dots? Was there previously a separate class for red dots or optics, allowing shooters to fire in both open sights and optics class? Is there an optics class that allows magnification?

Not looking for a novel, but often times a little background lends itself to better understanding.

Again, thanks in advance.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

There was a time when only iron sights were permitted. Quite some time ago (several decades?) the NRA changed the rules to permit optical sights. I cannot remember when that happened but I'd say at least three decades, maybe longer. There has never been a separate class for optical sights and previous national records shot with iron sights are lumped together with scores from iron sights.

I SUSPECT that the logic involved in permitting optical sights had to do with an aging demographic among competitors. As you know, eyesight for we old guys tends to degrade over time and opticals permit us to compete unhindered by those changes.

FWIW,

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

Not sure when the rule changed but the 1st national champion in BE using one was 80-81. Joe Pascarella

That really got folks attention as not many people were using them.. rule change was probably 77-78..I was shooting the nationals during those years
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

All time record score in competition for BE was set with iron sights Hershal Anderson. Score was 2680 out of a possible 2700
Scary good. There have been folks close with dots but no one has even tied him yet.

So the dots are not necessarily better but they do allow you to see your errors more clearly..
Rover

Post by Rover »

"they do allow you to see your errors more clearly"

I thought that was a woman's job.
aggshooter

Post by aggshooter »

Rover wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 pm "they do allow you to see your errors more clearly"

I thought that was a woman's job.
Hahahaha