Open Letter to Seton Thomas...$$ details?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jim P.

Open Letter to Seton Thomas...$$ details?

Post by Jim P. »

Mr. Seton Thomas:
I read your post about grips and totally agree. However I have a few questions about dollars and details.
I am an old (approaching 60) Technical (I like the technology and I want any advantage it will give me) Hobbyist Shooter. I took up the pistol about 4 years ago for my own enjoyment. (I don't compete as things that increase my tension and raise my blood pressure are to be avoided...that is for young people that think that "excitement" is good. Combat cured me of that!) ( I don't hunt either ...if I wanted to carry a rifle in the rain I could get paid for it in the National Guard.) (As you can tell I'm an opinionated old SOB and content to be so.) Actually shooting for my own personal best in the garage lowers my tension and blood pressure. And shooting with my friends at the range where we don't have to show our targets if we don't want to turns out to be a good social activity for some old retirees.
On the other hand Beeman in their catalog says that people like me are the ones that they sell most of the 10 meter equipment to. And from a survey (informal and un-scientific) of my friends (and my own purchases) I believe this is true.
So...as the last address I had for you was Bull Head City and my wife's "hobby" is gambling... i.e. Laughlin, NV right across the river. I might be able to visit you for a "fitting." So I'm curious (and as there might be others I decided to make this an open letter.)
If I could get to Bull Head City while you were in residence, what would be the costs of having a grip made?
Do I have to bring the pistol? (With all the sense and non-sense going on these days flying on an airplane I don't want to worry about being left at an airport) I think I would like grips for my TOZ-35 but I don't want to bring the pistol. I do have other choices and even could purchase a pistol to match the grips (but the TOZ is a pretty good standard.) (I could bring a set of blocks that are suppose to fit on the TOZ, but this probably isn't typical.)
How long would it take? Hours? Days? (Could you take a bunch of measurements and mail the grips to me?)
I've been curious about this for some time so, Thank you for your time.
Jim P.

Sandy Santibanez

Flying with pistols

Post by Sandy Santibanez »

I have had very few problems flying with pistols. At the ticket counter you state that you want to declare an unloaded pistol/pistols in your checked luggage. Some time they check that it is in fact unloaded but most of the time they just look at it and say OK. Ticket agents are not that knowledgeable guns and do not want to remove them from the case at the ticket counter. You fill out a brief form and put it INSIDE the case and lock it. They MUST be in a locked case. then it goes as checked luggage.
If I only have one or two pistols, I prefer to put them in a small locked case and then put that locked case into my locked larger suitcase so that luggage personnel don't see "pistol cases" and they "get lost in transit".
Do not follow the reccomendation to leave you suitcase/cases unlocked so that it can be inspected while in transit.
IT IS ILLEGAL TO HAVE FIREARMS IN AN UNLOCKED SUITCASE/CASE. If you are concerned that security may break into you luggage, get a sticker put on the suitcase saying that it has been inspected. That has been done for me twice now.
When purchasing you tickets, check with the carrier, voice your concerns and find out if they have any special restrictions. You can get a copy of their regulations to have in hand. Each air line has slightly different policies. Allow an extra 1/2 hour in case that you have any problems at the ticket counter with an over-zealous counter person. This happened to me and I merely asked for a supervisor. I was on my way in less than 3 minutes.
I am going through all of this because I think that it is necessary to have the complete pistol in hand for Seaton to fit the grips. Subtle changes in weight and balance can make a big difference in how the grip fits. Aside from your wife's hobby, it would be a shame to make the trip and then not get the best fit possible.
Seaton fine-tuned two of my grips, air & free, and did an excellent job.
Sandy
tenx-at-san.rr.com.42203.42202
Mako

Re: Open Letter to Seton Thomas...$$ details?

Post by Mako »

You need to call Seaton (not Seton): 928-763-5504
he's not always good about checking here or his email ... sometimes it's computer problems.
It can take between 2 and 4 hours ... it took 7 hours to do Bill D's grip ... starting from a rough blank ... but of course Bill really knows what he's looking for!
Cost is arountd $90 ... independent of time ... tips and lunch at the chinese buffet down the street welcomed if you are there over a meal time.
You should bring your pistol(s) and not worry about flying with them. Hunters and competitors (imagine the Nationals or Camp Perry) are flying with them every day, every where ... no big deal ... usually. Just give yourself a bit of extra time just in case ... and don't get smart with them. They arrested the wife/mother ahead of me because of her loud comments on how rediculous all of these safety precations are, and how she felt she was being persecuted and picked on! Meanwhile the rest of us almost missed out flight ! :-(
Follow Sandy's advice ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.42217.42202