Need Help to Diagnose problem with my Match Guns MGH1

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David M

Re: Need Help to Diagnose problem with my Match Guns MGH1

Post by David M »

Steyr regulator example.
Heavypellet

Post by Heavypellet »

Thanks David, Like I said...I could not find the Belleville spring washers that is close to the size in my MGH1 pistol.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings Heavypellet,

What dimensions are your washers?

Outside diameter?

Hole diameter?

Washer thickness?

Height of single washer?

Are all washers identical?

Cheers,

David
Pyroman

Post by Pyroman »

I got a complete regulator unit from Stefano and just swapped it out. When I disassembled the old regulator, there was alot of what looked like white lithium grease in it. Maybe if I cleaned it up and restacked the washers, it would be back to working. Another thing to note is to make sure the regulator doesn't rotate when you screw/unscrew your air tank. Using a paint pen, I made some witness marks. Because I think one of the cascades of the failure was that the regulator was rotating a small amount and closing off the path the air takes.
Heavypellet

Post by Heavypellet »

Pyroman,

I don't know what you are talking about. I have never see factory grease in any Regulators I taken apart, in addition to this MGH1, my FWB P70, HW100 and Steyr LP1. Also when you said make sure the Regulator doesn't rotate when I screw and unscrew the pistol air cylinder, I have to ask if you really have Match Guns air pistol, because if you are able to pull the Regulator out, you must of pull very very hard to get it pass the grub screw that holds the regulator in place. If that is the case, your pistol is certainly damaged.
Heavypellet

Post by Heavypellet »

Pyroman,

One more thing...When you said "I got a complete regulator unit from Stefano and just swapped it out. " How much did that Regulator cost you including shipping?
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Heavypellet wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:03 pmI have never see factory grease in any Regulators I taken apart
One possibility is this is emulsified oil. Moist air and overoiling might have built it up.
Heavypellet

Post by Heavypellet »

-TT- wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:48 am
Heavypellet wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:03 pmI have never see factory grease in any Regulators I taken apart
One possibility is this is emulsified oil. Moist air and overoiling might have built it up.
Like I said before, I have never see the inside of a regulator being oiled from the factory. If oil is from somewhere else in the gun, HOW did it leak into the regulator? If oil can seep into the regulator, it means air from the regulator will leak out, air is thinner than oil.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Heavypellet wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:28 am
-TT- wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:48 am
Like I said before, I have never see the inside of a regulator being oiled from the factory. If oil is from somewhere else in the gun, HOW did it leak into the regulator? If oil can seep into the regulator, it means air from the regulator will leak out, air is thinner than oil.

Well Boys and girls, consider where the oil comes from if you use an air pump or your own compressor without an air dryer like a dive shop has ...... If you compress air containing 15% relative humidity into your tank, it will mix with a small amount of oil the pump normally ejects into the airstream. Over time it will gunk up things. In the PNY where relative humiditys over 60% are the norm, everybody drains their air compressors daily to keep the water out of their air tools and paint guns..... Dive shops have very efficient air dryers for this reason....... The oil isnteaking i to your gun from anywhere, you are putting it in the tank when you fill it along with a lot of water unless precautions are taken.......
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Dear colleagues, shooters. In my personal experience, the pressure reducer on Steyr and Morini pistols has always been very lightly lubricated by the manufacturer. This lubricant facilitates mechanical operation and protects the surface of fine parts against corrosion. I do not know the composition or brand of the lubricant. Maybe a silicone base, but I may be wrong. The lubricant should not attack the O-ring material. I assume that it should be similar for the MG regulator. I keep all my air pistols under constant pressure with a screwed-in air cylinder. I only use a Gehman hand pump for filling, and even after more than 15 years, no corrosion damage has occurred. Only with some frequently used air cylinders after 10 to 12 years it was necessary to replace brittle and cracked o-rings. It is advisable to keep the connection points of the gun and cylinder clean and to detect and change the sealing ring in time. Its parts and other mechanical impurities must not enter the pressure reducer or adjacent spaces. Of course, any accidental internal defect in the material (seals or springs) can never be completely ruled out. This doesn't usually happen with the proven Steyr or Morini designs, and you can easily pursue your favorite activities.
Heavypellet

Post by Heavypellet »

Good to know about air compressor. I cannot afford a good one yet so I fill up my tank at the Scuba dive shop for $7. Like I said, I never notice any oil on those Belleville spring washers in all those airguns I taken apart, so where did the oil go? out the gun barrel?
Heavypellet

Post by Heavypellet »

My Match Guns MGH1 Light is still up for sale. Any taker?

Match Guns in Italy will sell you a new regulator for 65 euro + 15 euro shipping but will not guarantee that it will fix the problem of my gun. I am shooting my Hammerli Master now and noticed it is more accurate than my MGH1 (when it was working), however, my Hammerli Master doesn't have the modern 10-M air pistol grip with a palm shelf, thus it is harder to get a consistent high score.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Hello everyone,
Retired, I was bored, so I bought a new gun. I don't usually meet a given pistol in the Czech Republic, so I was interested in how it fired. I don't think anyone uses it at local shooting competitions yet.
After the first 2 weeks of use, I noticed that when I filled the air cylinder and did not screw it on the gun, I did not notice any visible drop in pressure on the manometer. After screwing on the gun, the pressure in the cylinder drops to approx. 30 to 40 bars in 24 hours. In a week, the pressure of the entire cylinder will drop without firing from 200 bar to approximately 50 bar in the yellow part of the pressure gauge scale. The operating instructions do not provide this type of information. I handed the pistol over to the dealer for warranty repair. The pistol was returned to me after about 5 weeks, but it seems that the defect has not been removed. And the situation has not changed. The operating instructions do not provide this type of information. Does anyone have any experience with this type of fault or does it have the same fault in MGH1 (GP1)? So far I have used several Steyr (LP2, LP10), Morini (CM162EI) pistols. None of them have ever had a similar air leak.
Thanks
Peter
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Hello everyone
The story with GP1 continues. At least he's not boring in retirement. After the pressure drop occurred again, I had the gun due to a repeated defect for the second warranty repair. From this repair, a pressurized 200 bar was delivered. The pistol was stored in the case for a week without firing and without a visible drop in pressure. Subsequently, I fired about 400 shots over the weekend. During this time, I filled the air cylinder twice, which means twice unscrewing and screwing the air cylinder. The day after the shooting, I observed a pressure drop of about 30 to 40 bar. Now I'm going to send the pistol for the third warranty repair with a recurring defect. I don't know if I'm making a mistake when mounting the cylinder on the gun or what could be the problem? Does anyone have similar experience or any advice (GP1 - MGH1)?
Thanks
Petr
Triplef

Post by Triplef »

I don't know if you have facebook, but maybe you can try it here https://www.facebook.com/groups/607451966017275
There are several MatchGuns owners in this group, I was also helped with my question here.
MatchGuns MG2E
Walther SSP
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Triplef
Thanks for the link. I will take a look
Petr
MileHighShooter

Post by MileHighShooter »

My MGH1 leak and the simple step to eliminate it.
https://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=328303#p328303