New Hammerli Questions

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Paul

New Hammerli Questions

Post by Paul »

Now that my SP20 .32 is home, I was hoping I could get a bit of help.
Do I need snap caps to dry fire it?
What sort of goop do you recommend to build up the plastic grip?
What load of Bullseye powder do you recommend for a 98gr wadcutter?
How often do you grease the buffer? What grease do you recommend?
Thanks in advance
Jim Fabanich

Re: New Hammerli Questions

Post by Jim Fabanich »

: Now that my SP20 .32 is home, I was hoping I could get a bit of help.
: Do I need snap caps to dry fire it? It is best to use them.
Yes use snap caps
: What sort of goop do you recommend to build up the plastic grip?
I bought the Hammerli hygrip paste,
bondo works equally well but not a nice
color(IMHO)
: What load of Bullseye powder do you recommend for a 98gr wadcutter?
I am shooting 1.7 gr of w231
: How often do you grease the buffer?
Before every session of shooting
What grease do you recommend?
White lithium
: Thanks in advance

Paul T (UK)

Post by Paul T (UK) »

Snap caps to dry fire – yes, I use the sprung loaded ones, they last for ever!
Grip – Both Hammerli and Morini hi-paste is excellent. I am sure there is an unbranded version at lower cost!
I apply carpet tile glue to grip area and then sandpaper 180 grit. Dry 1-2 days and then spray with modeling matt finish paint; it both provides colour (I use black) and provides additional adhesive. Hint – mask off non-grip surface to avoid over-spraying. The down-side of this covering is that the natural finish of the SP20 is lost but if the modifications are significant, this is lost to the hi-paste anyway.
Ammo – I had best results with 1.6gr N310 using Lapua 98gr head. This is very high, factory Lapua is apparently 1.7 grains of N310. I would start low, say 1.3-1.4 and work up.
I clean the barrel of the SP20 every match. The first shot is a little high and right but very predictable!
I use Vaseline for the buffer area.
The recoil buffer adjustment is a critical setting on the SP20. I know of several buffer screws breaking under Lapua factory ammunition (event with the correct setting set by the factory for us!) so a spare buffer and screw is essential. Only the screws went but they do not come out of the buffer easily and in a match or on a trip, drilling out screws is not normally feasible!
Why use 98gr Lapua factory, we have found it very accurate compared to other brands available to us.

paul-at-lans.demon.co.uk.42118.42113
Mako

Post by Mako »

You might start as low as 1.1 grains of VV N310 ... my Pardini HP likes 1.2 grains of N310 ... with H&N Match Wadcutters. You should slug your barrel. Mine was only .311 ... so I use .312 bullets. Problem with using small loads ... 1.2 grains ... is being able to accurately reproduce that small amount each time ....
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.42120.42117
Paul

Thank you all for your advice (NT)

Post by Paul »