Hope for Australian gun rights: you may become a US State!

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Chris L in NC

Hope for Australian gun rights: you may become a US State!

Post by Chris L in NC »

I am not making this up, for once. An historian, indeed an very scholarly historian, says there is a 20% chance of this happening in the next 50 years.
Assuming that some semblance of gun rights remains in the USA, I suggest you folks get right to work on this project. I would be glad to have you.
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.42078.0
Paul

Re: Hope for Australian gun rights: you may become a US Stat

Post by Paul »

If it happens, you had better pray that it does not become a state like Massachusetts. Honest, law-abiding gun owners in this state have been vilified and demonized by politicians to the point where we can only buy a handful of guns, none of which are competition-type target pistols.

pmo187-at-aol.com.42080.42078
Mike McDaniel

More like several states

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: I am not making this up, for once. An historian, indeed an very scholarly historian, says there is a 20% chance of this happening in the next 50 years.
: Assuming that some semblance of gun rights remains in the USA, I suggest you folks get right to work on this project. I would be glad to have you.
I think it would be more like 6-7 states, based on the current Australian State borders.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.42082.42078
akihmsa

Re: Hope for Australian gun rights: you may become a US Stat

Post by akihmsa »

It is an interesting idea and I have heard this same idea talked about regarding the western Canadian Provinces. I seriously doubt it will happen in my lifetime. For a good idea on where the right to keep and bear arms is respected look at the red/blue states in the last election. We may be witnessing a rural/urban divide. I would imagine the rural/urban divide exists in Austrailia as well.
Questor

More proof that "scholar" doesn't mean "smart person"

Post by Questor »

Americans would never permit this. Australia has so little to offer the US, except a time zone that is compatible with 24 hour shifts for American enterprise. But we already use them for that today.
This same argument has been made about Canada and England. These too are un-American because of the nanny-state mentality that destroyed the industry of England and prevented the emergence of industry in Canada.
It's more realistic to expect that Canada, Australia, and England will become a commonwealth so they can cry on each other's collective shoulders.
Fortitudo Dei

Re: More proof that "scholar" doesn't mean "smart person"

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: Americans would never permit this. Australia has so little to offer the US, except a time zone that is compatible with 24 hour shifts for American enterprise.
Actually Australia has VAST mineral resources including bauxite, coal, iron ore, copper, tin, gold, silver, uranium, nickel, tungsten, lead, zinc, and a hell of a lot of natural gas. The US would most certainly be interested in this.
The problem is that Australians would never allow it - they are far more independently minded and patriotic than you may think.
Fortitudo_Dei-at-hotmail.com.remove.42090.42089
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Unfortunate comments that only show your ignorance about Australia and his people.
Carlos_Cancio-at-prp.uscourts.gov.42092.42089
moi

Post by moi »

As clearly evidenced by the current turn of events regarding firearms laws in Australia. :)
: The problem is that Australians would never allow it - they are far more independently minded and patriotic than you may think.

Chris L in Adelaide

Glad I never met you, you ignorant twerp!

Post by Chris L in Adelaide »

Why is being un-American (and I would like to see that defined) anathema to you?
Do you think the same about people who are different colours to you, who worship a different deity, or even follow a different sport?
I recently lived in Virginia for a couple of years (my wife and I ran the adult airgun league at our local Izaak Walton league, BTW), and I never came across xenophobes like you.
My guess is that you've been nowhere, met nobody, and know nothing.
BTW, where do you come from with this garbage about "the nanny-state mentality that destroyed the industry of England and prevented the emergence of industry in Canada"?
Oh, and in case you never got past reading the Hamburglar/Ronal McDonald comics at your favourite gourmet restaurant, we *are* a Commonwealth!
My US friends will understand that I don't include any of them in this, 'cos (unlike you) I have friends of many colours, creeds and religious belief.
I feel so much better now :-)
Chris

airgunner-at-levingston.net.nospam.42106.42089
Questor

A stuck pig always hollers

Post by Questor »

nt
PW

Re: States rights in Aus < States rights in US

Post by PW »

Sadly if the Australian States and Territories had anywhere near the power of a US State then they wouldn't have to kneel down in front of Little Johnnie like they have to now, hoping he won't cut off Federal funding.

: As clearly evidenced by the current turn of events regarding firearms laws in Australia. :)
: : The problem is that Australians would never allow it - they are far more independently minded and patriotic than you may think.