Shooting glasses and the not round dot

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

xeye

Shooting glasses and the not round dot

Post by xeye »

Has anyone tried those adjustable focus eye glasses to cure the "not round" red dot problem?

Yes, I have Rx glasses, yes I have Rx shooting glasses. Yes I have tried all reasonable diopters of shooting glasses; .25, .5 and .75 but, they only come in 1/4 increments. I think I may need a strength in between.
Tom

Re: Shooting glasses and the not round dot

Post by Tom »

Hiya,

Are your glasses for distance or near focus? For a red dot sight, your focal length needs to be so that the target is crisp and clear as you look through the sight. If the dot is blurry, it's your eye that is not focused at the distance the target is from you.

I had surgery to repair cataracts in both eyes about 8 weeks ago. For years I watched as my distance vision deteriorated and the dot went from round to roundish, to something with a tail to a small, blurry septapod with a long tail and antennas. I was at the eye Dr Friday and I brought the slide off my Gold Cup with irons and the one off my 52 with a Fast Fire 3 mounted. We went through the exam while I held each one looking through the machine with my dominant eye, now have 2 prescriptions, one for iron sights for focusing on the front sight and one for a red dot set at distance. I'm waiting for lenses to come in now.

Tom
joel

Post by joel »

It's an astigmatism issue, not focal length issue. Your eyes are out of round and it is difficult to fix, some are nearly impossible without laser surgery.

Joel
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

You can prove this for yourself by holding the red dot closer and farther from your eye, the shape won't change. And you can prove it's not the optic by rotating it along the axis of aim. The shape will not rotate. As a final test you could remove your glasses and rotate them. This should show a change.

If your shooting glasses have a "cylinder" correction, this is why. If they don't, then perhaps they have some other optical distortion.