Best target holders

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

RobD

Best target holders

Post by RobD »

I'm looking to get opinions on the best target holders for BB. I'm a new coach in Douglasville, Ga starting a new club. Saw several on the 4H web site, just wanted to see what everybody is using. Thanks.
jhmartin

Re: Best target holders

Post by jhmartin »

Many of us use a variation of a "Lujan Trap"

The plans are here:
https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/C ... tStand.pdf

For BB the issue is the BBs bouncing back at the shooters.
The fix for this is either replace the steel with carpet of hang carpet in front of the steel
I'd also place a strip of carpet on any facing wood (the 2x4s) to prevent that bounceback.

OR --- use those plans as the basis of your own variation.
shawn706

Post by shawn706 »

Most you'll see at Georgia competitions will be based on the ones you'll find on the Georgia 4-H web site. You will occasionally see a few of the tall pellet trap style holders.
rfwhatley

Post by rfwhatley »

In Gwinnett County 4H for home practice they had everyone bring in a ~12x12x12 box in which they hung an old hand towel halfway between the target and the back. The towel was only suspended at the top by a 1/4" dowel, so it was free to swing. That swinging took all the energy out of the BB and they all dropped into the bottom of the box.

Hope this helps.
rec4309

Post by rec4309 »

We use one similar to the CMP. I tried a few different materials on the back to stop BB's from bouncing and found Airbag material works the best. Bonus, it is free from a local repair shop.