Eley Ammo

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Fabian

Eley Ammo

Post by Fabian »

I have an old case of 5,000 Eley Pistol bullets, (Light Blue Box) this were given to me by my uncle, and supposedly he brough them approximately twenty years ago. I have yet to try any of them, as the bullet itself seems to be cover with a white powder like coating. Will it be safe to try these on my Hammerli? Any way to "rejuvenate" this ammo? Suggestions are welcome, thanks very much.
Carlos_Cancio-at-prp.uscourts.gov.42045.0
Randy

Re: Eley Ammo

Post by Randy »

That white powder like coating is probably the lead oxidizing. It depends on how the ammo has been stored. If the ammmo has been stored in a cool dry place it probably is safe to shot. However, powder, especially older powder, that has been stored in heat can become inconsistent and unstable. At least this is what I have read.

: I have an old case of 5,000 Eley Pistol bullets, (Light Blue Box) this were given to me by my uncle, and supposedly he brough them approximately twenty years ago. I have yet to try any of them, as the bullet itself seems to be cover with a white powder like coating. Will it be safe to try these on my Hammerli? Any way to "rejuvenate" this ammo? Suggestions are welcome, thanks very much.

randy-at-srv.net.42048.42045
scott H.

Post by scott H. »

: I have an old case of 5,000 Eley Pistol bullets, (Light Blue Box) this were given to me by my uncle, and supposedly he brough them approximately twenty years ago. I have yet to try any of them, as the bullet itself seems to be cover with a white powder like coating. Will it be safe to try these on my Hammerli? Any way to "rejuvenate" this ammo? Suggestions are welcome, thanks very much.
I came into old Tenex, in orange cardboard boxes, with oxidized lube. It still shot like Tenex. I was surprised, but pleasantly so.

fwbaw92-at-msn.com.42049.42045
Scott

Post by Scott »

The white coating may also just be the bullet lube getting old and thus light-colored. If it's just greasy white gunk, wipe it off with a cotton patch.
Try shooting a few rounds single loaded, then a few pairs, and finally a few magazines full. If you have no problems after a box or two, you're good to go.
I've got Tenex from the late 80's that is still my prefered match lot for smallbore prone, and I shoot some 25 year old Eley Rapid Match with no problems.
Scott

: That white powder like coating is probably the lead oxidizing. It depends on how the ammo has been stored. If the ammmo has been stored in a cool dry place it probably is safe to shot. However, powder, especially older powder, that has been stored in heat can become inconsistent and unstable. At least this is what I have read.

: : I have an old case of 5,000 Eley Pistol bullets, (Light Blue Box) this were given to me by my uncle, and supposedly he brough them approximately twenty years ago. I have yet to try any of them, as the bullet itself seems to be cover with a white powder like coating. Will it be safe to try these on my Hammerli? Any way to "rejuvenate" this ammo? Suggestions are welcome, thanks very much.

submoa-at-aol.com.42050.42048
Paul

Post by Paul »

The white powder is lead oxide, an inorganic salt that forms naturally when lead is exposed to oxygen. Basically it is rusty lead. Lead oxide is abrasive.
Ken J

The tests

Post by Ken J »

OK,
There are two possibilities for the white substance. First, it most probably is old lube. I've seen the same stuff on my older lots of eley. If it's lube, you have two options. First option: Shoot it as is and determine if the lube is still doing it's job. If so, it ain't broke, so don't fix it. If you're getting erratic velocities or wacky groups, you might want to strip off that old lube and replace it with new lube. Here's the kicker. What to use as a replacement lube??? Well, Ken has tried several lubes over the years. One of the best is a fine wipe of white lithium grease (otherwise known as my magic mojo... really!) If you've got enough on there, you'll notice your groups getting smaller and your velocity standard deviation dropping as low as 4 (that's as low as I've seen it). You might also experiment with other lubes, but remember, it's hard to beat white lithium grease. It's unaffected by temperature or pressure. So, it performs exactly the same regardless of the temperature. Your other option might be making a blend of bees wax and other lubricants and try to copy the eley formula.
The chances of lead oxide on the bullets is low, but possible. Note the junk on car battery posts. That's an oxide of lead as well. Note that that stuff is hard and gritty. Is your white substance hard and gritty or more like a dried out lube? (not meant as tounge in cheek).
Now, to determine the stability of the propellant in the case: Open up several bullets and pour the contents into a test tube. If you notice a reddish tint or offensive odor, chances are that your powder is unsafe. At that point, it's caveat emptor. Should the powder be unstable, you have a high probability of developing extreme pressures which could result in malfuntion, destruction and injury. Be careful.
Ken J

: The white coating may also just be the bullet lube getting old and thus light-colored. If it's just greasy white gunk, wipe it off with a cotton patch.
: Try shooting a few rounds single loaded, then a few pairs, and finally a few magazines full. If you have no problems after a box or two, you're good to go.
: I've got Tenex from the late 80's that is still my prefered match lot for smallbore prone, and I shoot some 25 year old Eley Rapid Match with no problems.
: Scott
:
: : That white powder like coating is probably the lead oxidizing. It depends on how the ammo has been stored. If the ammmo has been stored in a cool dry place it probably is safe to shot. However, powder, especially older powder, that has been stored in heat can become inconsistent and unstable. At least this is what I have read.
:
: : : I have an old case of 5,000 Eley Pistol bullets, (Light Blue Box) this were given to me by my uncle, and supposedly he brough them approximately twenty years ago. I have yet to try any of them, as the bullet itself seems to be cover with a white powder like coating. Will it be safe to try these on my Hammerli? Any way to "rejuvenate" this ammo? Suggestions are welcome, thanks very much.

Monica Amagna

Re: 5,000 rounds of blackbox and 3,000 of Tenex - all 20 yea

Post by Monica Amagna »

A few months ago, a most generous member of our club donated to me 5,ooo rounds of blackbox and 3,000 rounds of Tenex - all 20 years old and in paper boxes. My coach and I machine rested my rifle (Angie's machine rest)and tested the ammo at 50 yards. The ammo had a lead oxide residue on the bullets and it still shot 10's. It must have been stored in a cool dry place during all of those years.

monica.amagna-at-tulsaconnect.com.42119.42045