Pardini 32 ACP OAL 'short vs long'

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Dipnet

Pardini 32 ACP OAL 'short vs long'

Post by Dipnet »

I read a suggestion that Travis 64 grain LSWC-coated bullets should be loaded to the top edge of shoulder (i.e., as with 45 LSWCs) so that the round could be easily extracted if the gun needed to be cleared.

This issue is with the usual OAL of ~0.900 with Travis LSWC-coated 64-gr bullets, a chambered unfired round can be quite hard to extract because the upper shoulder of the bullet is lodged in the throat. Yanking the bolt back can leave the bullet stuck in the lands, resulting in a mess of loose powder, and the need to use a brass rod to remove stuck bullet. This putts off some shooter. However, the only time I ever had to deal this was after the load command, my red dot battery failed.

Someone recommended loading these bullets around 0.850, where just a bit of the bullets shoulder is visible above rim. It seemed like a good idea.
After testing six 0.850 OAL loadings, one ~0.900, and 22s I had in my gunboat on a Ransom Rest, I recommend to not use a shorter OAL for Travis LSWC-coated 64-gr bullets. Data are attached. Dipnet
Attachments
32 ACP Short OAL Load Test Data.pdf
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
32 ACP short vs. long OAL.jpg
32 ACP short vs. long OAL.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
fc60

Re: Pardini 32 ACP OAL 'short vs long'

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The Pardini 32 ACP barrels I have seen are throated 0.3125" for the, now discontinued, Hornady 60 XTP that measured 0.311". (Early Hornady 60 XTP used to measure 0.312".)

0.314" bullets do not enter the leade of the barrel chamber.

Cheers,

Dave
Rover

Post by Rover »

How refreshing to see someone doing meaningful testing instead of depending on internet blather.

If it's any help to you, when I loaded .45s, I would set up the round to headspace on the bullet, but not into the rifling, due to the fact that the cases were invariably too short.
Lablover

Post by Lablover »

It would be interesting to see if the bullet is set back any into the case when seated so long. After it’s chambered obviously.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

I neglected the primary reason for not shooting the short OAL bullet; I got 2 FTF out of less than 100 rounds tested, which is an extraordinarily high failure rate. That said, the accuracy of shorter OAL bullets was slightly better but likely not statistically significant. I think the issue is caused by the magazines being designed for 32 S&W L and the short OAL can cause the bullet to cant upwards too much and jamming.

I've read the new 32 ACP Pardini magazines actually fit the bullet. True? Cheers, dipnet
ActumLibero

Post by ActumLibero »

I have shot both using a new pardini 32 ACP - works flawless with short and long AOLs
ActumLibero

Post by ActumLibero »

Just got it new a month ago from pardini
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Dipnet wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:58 am I neglected the primary reason for not shooting the short OAL bullet; I got 2 FTF out of less than 100 rounds tested, which is an extraordinarily high failure rate. That said, the accuracy of shorter OAL bullets was slightly better but likely not statistically significant. I think the issue is caused by the magazines being designed for 32 S&W L and the short OAL can cause the bullet to cant upwards too much and jamming.

I've read the new 32 ACP Pardini magazines actually fit the bullet. True? Cheers, dipnet

Have you done any testing of the Hornady 85g XTP? Not much load data available for that one.