Target Shooting - The Shape of Things To Come...

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Leonard

Target Shooting - The Shape of Things To Come...

Post by Leonard »

NEC has just the thing for marksmen who would rather avoid loud noises and hot metal.
A subsidiary of the Japanese electronics giant NEC Custom Technica has introduced a civilian version of the laser rifle, which allows target shooting anywhere, any time. The rifle emits an infrared laser beam and was developed for the Japanese Olympic Committee, which wanted to promote sport shooting and to reduce the use of lead bullets.
When the rifle is pointed at the target - a small cube that sits on a tripod and is plugged into a computer - your aim is shown on the monitor. Scores are tabulated after every shot.
The results can be posted online so teachers can check your work remotely. You can hold virtual tournaments with competitors who also have the rifles and Windows-compatible software.
NEC has sold the rifles (and pistols that use the same technology) to schools and, perhaps surprisingly, nursing homes. Researchers in Japan found that Alzheimer's patients showed improved concentration when using the gun.
NEC hopes to sell 6000 of the sets in the United States during the next two years, although it has not yet set a release date. At 400,000 yen (about $A5500), the rifle and target are not cheap. As war games go, though, the system is a bargain.
www.necct.co.jp/english/prinfo/dgptl/dgptl1.html
- New York Times

Patrick Haynes

Re: Or buy a top end gun and a Rika for half the money - nt

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Or buy a top end gun and a Rika for half the money.
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.41933.41923
akihmsa

Wow virtual shooting, sorta like reality TV..

Post by akihmsa »

Japanese Olympic Committee and shooting sports? Give me a break. Check where the article came from: The New York Times, theres a big shooting sports supporter! yeh right, hey maybe we can get the americans to give up their nasty guns for a computer game?: NEC has just the thing for marksmen who would rather avoid loud noises and hot metal.
: A subsidiary of the Japanese electronics giant NEC Custom Technica has introduced a civilian version of the laser rifle, which allows target shooting anywhere, any time. The rifle emits an infrared laser beam and was developed for the Japanese Olympic Committee, which wanted to promote sport shooting and to reduce the use of lead bullets.
: When the rifle is pointed at the target - a small cube that sits on a tripod and is plugged into a computer - your aim is shown on the monitor. Scores are tabulated after every shot.
: The results can be posted online so teachers can check your work remotely. You can hold virtual tournaments with competitors who also have the rifles and Windows-compatible software.
: NEC has sold the rifles (and pistols that use the same technology) to schools and, perhaps surprisingly, nursing homes. Researchers in Japan found that Alzheimer's patients showed improved concentration when using the gun.
: NEC hopes to sell 6000 of the sets in the United States during the next two years, although it has not yet set a release date. At 400,000 yen (about $A5500), the rifle and target are not cheap. As war games go, though, the system is a bargain.
: www.necct.co.jp/english/prinfo/dgptl/dgptl1.html
: - New York Times

Don

Re: Target Shooting - The Shape of Things To Come...

Post by Don »

: NEC has just the thing for marksmen who would rather avoid loud noises and hot metal.
: A subsidiary of the Japanese electronics giant NEC Custom Technica has introduced a civilian version of the laser rifle, which allows target shooting anywhere, any time. The rifle emits an infrared laser beam and was developed for the Japanese Olympic Committee, which wanted to promote sport shooting and to reduce the use of lead bullets.
: When the rifle is pointed at the target - a small cube that sits on a tripod and is plugged into a computer - your aim is shown on the monitor. Scores are tabulated after every shot.
: The results can be posted online so teachers can check your work remotely. You can hold virtual tournaments with competitors who also have the rifles and Windows-compatible software.
: NEC has sold the rifles (and pistols that use the same technology) to schools and, perhaps surprisingly, nursing homes. Researchers in Japan found that Alzheimer's patients showed improved concentration when using the gun.
: NEC hopes to sell 6000 of the sets in the United States during the next two years, although it has not yet set a release date. At 400,000 yen (about $A5500), the rifle and target are not cheap. As war games go, though, the system is a bargain.
: www.necct.co.jp/english/prinfo/dgptl/dgptl1.html
: - New York Times
This goes right along with my theory that all the shooting events in the Olympics will someday be just air. Even shotgun, which I thought would stay pretty much the same, might go to something else. I remember at the SHOT Show a few years ago that someone demonstrated a system for practice with the scatter-gun that used a sensor of some kind attached to the shotgun, then a small-mini trap threw a white disc so that the person could "shoot" it. If there was a hit, it registered. This could all be done in a room the size of the average living room. So, with this method for shotgun, and the relative ease of using air guns, I think that all the shooting events as we know them now in the Olympics will be gone in the next 10-15 years or so. I have been saying this for at least 10 years now, so my timetable has been off, but I am sure it is coming. Sorry to see it.
bawilli-at-attglobal.net.41947.41923
Perry W. McFarland

Post by Perry W. McFarland »

Hello:
You guys are all right on the money. The only good shooting events are phoney shooting events with no shooting. That's where the IOC and the pop culture are taking us. Then after awhile, they will get rid of those phoney events too; because they remind people too much of actual target shooting. It might hurt someone's feelings...
Perry
PerryMcF-at-aol.com.41964.41923
RS

Post by RS »

I am certain the shooting events will remain in the olympics as long as the shooting community believe and have faith in this. Undermining faith only paves the way for bad things and prepare everyone to accept what we really DONT want. So just keep on and enjoy it, thats why we're here.