The Lightest Scope Stand Available

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

David

The Lightest Scope Stand Available

Post by David »

Folks,
Does anyone know what the lightest commercial scope stand is? I am considering Neal Johnson's Ultra Light or possibly the Creedmoor Sports scope stand. I am using a Champion's Choice stand that my school owns, but I will need my own for college. Any opinions on what works the best? The Champion's Choice stand has some problems with the poles slipping in the tripod. Is this problem common in the Neal Johnson model? Has anyone ever used one of the AHG camera type tripods?
Thanks in advance,
David
Eric U.

Re: The Lightest Scope Stand Available

Post by Eric U. »

I'm very biased on this question, since I have something invested in it. My uncle, Al Ewing, has been making spotting scope stands for about 20 years now. They are THE STANDARD for high-power rifle competition, but very heavy (as needed for high power). A few months ago, I had him make up a special batch of lightweight stands based on his original design. These stands are indeed lightweight, but are better (in my opinion) than anything else around. They are also more fasionable. Being all aluminum, they can be annodized in a variety of colors.
Unfortunately, as Scott Pilkington knows and I've found out, international rifle shooters are the cheapest bunch of people around. They want everything for next to nothing. My cost on these stands was $176 each. I tried to sell some of them at the USA World Cup, then at the Pan Am selection match, and finally at USA Shooting's national championships. Not a single one sold. High power shooters don't hesitate a second to spend the $240 going price for the high power model. I started at that price, even though the manufacturing price for this model is about $20/each higher. After no sales at the USA World Cup, and the Pan Am selection match, I lowered the price to $200. Still no sales. I ended up giving one of the stands away to the 3x40 winner because I saw no sales on the horizon. I've still got 7 left, which Scott is going send to Perry with Warren. Maybe the high power shooters might be interested in a lighter version of their standard? If there was ever any real interest, I could probably get my prices down some. My uncle did make these in a special run. That raises costs above doing them as a real production run.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Having bought one of the regular Ewing stands a few months ago I'm not in the market for another stand, but my experience with it tells me that everyone on this list should want one of Eric's stands. I much prefer my Ewing stand over my old Freeland stand.

: I'm very biased on this question, since I have something invested in it. My uncle, Al Ewing, has been making spotting scope stands for about 20 years now. They are THE STANDARD for high-power rifle competition, but very heavy (as needed for high power). A few months ago, I had him make up a special batch of lightweight stands based on his original design. These stands are indeed lightweight, but are better (in my opinion) than anything else around. They are also more fasionable. Being all aluminum, they can be annodized in a variety of colors.
: Unfortunately, as Scott Pilkington knows and I've found out, international rifle shooters are the cheapest bunch of people around. They want everything for next to nothing. My cost on these stands was $176 each. I tried to sell some of them at the USA World Cup, then at the Pan Am selection match, and finally at USA Shooting's national championships. Not a single one sold. High power shooters don't hesitate a second to spend the $240 going price for the high power model. I started at that price, even though the manufacturing price for this model is about $20/each higher. After no sales at the USA World Cup, and the Pan Am selection match, I lowered the price to $200. Still no sales. I ended up giving one of the stands away to the 3x40 winner because I saw no sales on the horizon. I've still got 7 left, which Scott is going send to Perry with Warren. Maybe the high power shooters might be interested in a lighter version of their standard? If there was ever any real interest, I could probably get my prices down some. My uncle did make these in a special run. That raises costs above doing them as a real production run.

tck

Post by tck »

see this website and may be you can make one of your own.
http://www.gehmann.com/englisch/produkt ... hoer_s.htm