Does anyone know the cost of an Electronic Target System

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

prowling

Re: Does anyone know the cost of an Electronic Target System

Post by prowling »

PCU wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:14 pm Might want to check the new Athena. From CMP Shooting News July 7, 2020:
"Introducing Athena: The World's First Affordable Electronic Scoring Target - The future of competitive shooting is with ESTs. This is clear. Up until today, though, the ESTs on the market have had one undeniable flaw - they are far too expensive for local clubs, schools, and junior rifle programs. Athena is a game-changer for the shooting sports. For the first time, entry- and intermediate-level athletes will be able to enjoy the benefits of immediate scoring and spectator appeal made possible by an affordable EST. - Erik Anderson Ph.D., Chief Architect. Click here to read more and view a video on the new Athena target system." http://www.orionscoringsystem.com/orion/Home.aspx
Funny, a lot of the “firsts” that they claim have already been in place on the Inband Air and Inband 50 smallbore systems for a few years ... and the Inband Air is less expensive than the Athena.

www.inband.us
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

In the Athena video Anderson states that the target only price (without the monitor) is expected to be $720. That is a substantial drop from $1,400 per lane.
Their website says that the target only version must be connected to the internet to work since you would be viewing the results from the target on the cloud. That means a stable/reliable internet is mandatory or you wont get a very satisfying experience.

The complete system for $1,400 does not require internet, but it is recommended in order to get updates and be able to upload results.
For club systems, Internet access is recommended but not required. Updates to the software will require Internet access as well as certain viewing options with the Spectator Display (MM100).
https://support.orionscoringsystem.com/ ... thena.html
What are the feature differences between the At Home and Club versions?
The club version is fully integrated with Orion and supports running formal competitions and practice matches.
The At Home version runs independent of Orion and is intended for practice only.
The Club version will continue to operate without Internet access, while the At Home version is subject to Internet disruptions. The club version requires each firing point to have a monitor, while the at Home version uses either a monitor or web browser.
https://support.orionscoringsystem.com/ ... thena.html

I think the biggest advantage to the Athena is that the Orion system already has an infrastructure set up in the U.S. Many clubs, ROTC units and gun ranges that are scanning and submitting targets to the CMP for scores or participating in postal matches will be interested in converting to the Athena.
I am not sure what makes the "internet of things" they refer to in the Athena video so great or advantageous.
martynB

Post by martynB »

Its still work in progress but there is a very interesting open source hardware and software project named freETarget, if you are interested google it, I think it will be a real leap forward for those who cannot afford $000 .
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

side question about electronic targets: has anyone tested their electronic target? meaning to put a real paper target behind the black roll and see if the scores/shot impacts reported by the system are identical to the holes in the paper target?

can anyone using an electronic target, please do this, and post pictures of the screen and of the paper target? (air pistol preferred)
thank you
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Azmodan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:07 pm side question about electronic targets: has anyone tested their electronic target? meaning to put a real paper target behind the black roll and see if the scores/shot impacts reported by the system are identical to the holes in the paper target?

can anyone using an electronic target, please do this, and post pictures of the screen and of the paper target? (air pistol preferred)
thank you
6.3.2.8 When EST are used, the targets must be checked to ensure the targets are
scoring correctly under normal conditions of use before each ISSF Championship
under the supervision of the Technical Delegate.

This is a somewhat tedious task - and gets done for every ISSF competition.
Five shots on each target, collect the paper witness strip, process the computer log and print out the corresponding spaced 'shots' for each target and compare. (then on to the 25m and 50m targetry).
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

Spencer wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:01 pm
Azmodan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:07 pm side question about electronic targets: has anyone tested their electronic target? meaning to put a real paper target behind the black roll and see if the scores/shot impacts reported by the system are identical to the holes in the paper target?

thank you
6.3.2.8 When EST are used, the targets must be checked to ensure the targets are
scoring correctly under normal conditions of use before each ISSF Championship
under the supervision of the Technical Delegate.

This is a somewhat tedious task - and gets done for every ISSF competition.
Five shots on each target, collect the paper witness strip, process the computer log and print out the corresponding spaced 'shots' for each target and compare. (then on to the 25m and 50m targetry).
that may happen at an ISSF championship. but i was wondering if someone that uses an EST at home or at the club, can do this to check their own equipment.
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

i am not sure end user can do this test. to calculate the spaced holes you need to know how much the target moved the roll between shots.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

ghostrip wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:04 pm i am not sure end user can do this test. to calculate the spaced holes you need to know how much the target moved the roll between shots.
Aha!
Construct 0,0 from the x,y coordinates for a number of consecutive shots and measure the advance between shots.
For 10m EST there is a different advance for Pistol and Rifle settings.

As an aside, I have been involved in lots of EST (and Target Reading Machine) verifications and my experience is that if an EST is giving an incorrect value (very rarely), it's a doozie.
rec4309

Post by rec4309 »

We just received our inbands this week. easy setup on a windows tablet. target software and range software are provided free with purchase
RByars

Post by RByars »

I have been using the Inband system for several months. During the summer and fall I used it at the range at 50 yards for smallbore. This winter I have been using it at the house for air rifle. I haven’t had any issues. The power pack that has to be bought separately lasts for hours. There have not been any issues with the Bluetooth connection. I mounted the Inband on a frame that sits in the same stand I use for paper targets. I mounted a box with duct seal behind the unit to catch the pellets. The system is not rain proof so check the weather before using it outside.
DeonEva

Post by DeonEva »

They are not cheap at all, but probably they worth it! I do not have my own system, but have experience with such
Have a look on this one
https://supertargetsystems.com/
Rumi
"Let the beauty of what you love be what you do."
https://www.worktime.com/
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »