Wanted Hammerli 208S/215S

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Steve Gile

Wanted Hammerli 208S/215S

Post by Steve Gile »

Okay, who's setting on a Hammerli 208S or 215S that they want to part company with without taking my first born or one of my arms? Willing to pay fair market value. Please email me what you have or phone (641) 754-2367 days if you prefer to call. Thanks
steve.gile-at-frco.com.41675.0
Mike McDaniel

You're not getting mine, but try Gunbroker

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Gunbroker.com has one for auction.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41677.41675
Questor

Why are these so desirable?

Post by Questor »

Why is this particular model so desirable? The new models, if anything, seem to be an improvement. Is there some particular application for which they are better suited than others?

Mike McDaniel

Accuracy, triggers

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: Why is this particular model so desirable? The new models, if anything, seem to be an improvement. Is there some particular application for which they are better suited than others?
The 208s are highly desired because they are very, very accurate and have superb triggers. I won't say that mine has the best trigger I've EVER seen, but the only ones better are custom jobs on $3,000 underhammer pistols. The 208s are generally conceded to have the crispest trigger ever fitted to a repeating firearm.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41681.41679
Questor

Re: Accuracy, triggers

Post by Questor »

Thanks. I've wondered about that. Do you happen to know why it was discontinued, and whether the SP20 is indeed an improvement? How do people compare the SP20 with the 208?
Mike McDaniel

Re: Accuracy, triggers

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: Thanks. I've wondered about that. Do you happen to know why it was discontinued, and whether the SP20 is indeed an improvement? How do people compare the SP20 with the 208?
I've never been quite sure why the 208 was deep-sixed. I suspect it has to do with price - the 280 and SP-20 are cheaper.
Reports on the SP-20 have been a little erratic. From what I've read here, it's a nice gun, but not the legend the 208 was.
Personally, I suspect that there is another factor in the success of the 208 - grips. The 208 has grips that permit a very high, almost vertical, thumb position. Some shooters, including myself, find that such a position keeps the thumb from pressing on the gun sideways. This makes for a more consistent grip and better shooting. Most of the current generation of pistols have pronounced thumbrests - and if you don't like their position, there is material above the thumb to force it on you anyway.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41689.41683
Michael

Reasons Why is H-208s is Best

Post by Michael »

: Why is this particular model so desirable? The new models, if anything, seem to be an improvement. Is there some particular application for which they are better suited than others?
Mine is nearly 100% reliable with nearly any ammo. The grip angle of the 208s more closely resembles the 1911 and this makes it easier to transition for the bullseye shooter. A red dot can be attached or removed in seconds and doesn't require rezeroing with a Knapp mount. The weight of the gun doesn't make the combination of scope/gun cumbersome. All this and it is accurate and the trigger is superb. I really like the grips. All in all it is the most shootable and match ready out-of-the box gun I have ever shot for bullseye. The reason it was discontinued is that it required considerable hand work and so wasn't as profitable as the newer guns. From what I gather the SP 20 is a good gun for Standard Pistol at 25 meters, but doesn't cut the mustard accuracy wise at 50 yards.

PW

Re: Reasons Why is H-208s is Best

Post by PW »

: Mine is nearly 100% reliable with nearly any ammo. The grip angle of the 208s more closely resembles the 1911 and this makes it easier to transition for the bullseye shooter. A red dot can be attached or removed in seconds and doesn't require rezeroing with a Knapp mount. The weight of the gun doesn't make the combination of scope/gun cumbersome. All this and it is accurate and the trigger is superb. I really like the grips. All in all it is the most shootable and match ready out-of-the box gun I have ever shot for bullseye. The reason it was discontinued is that it required considerable hand work and so wasn't as profitable as the newer guns. From what I gather the SP 20 is a good gun for Standard Pistol at 25 meters, but doesn't cut the mustard accuracy wise at 50 yards.
I don't know about the SP20 but my aw93 can shoot precision 10's all day long at 50m (if only I was as capable :) And I have never had a stoppage in a match, and prob only two malfunctions during training, over 10,000 rounds or so.
Chris L in NC

Dot sight 208 v. iron sight GSP Jr.--the winner was ...

Post by Chris L in NC »

Mike McDaniel is plenty qualified to speak to the subject since I bought his GSP Jr. (lighter barrel, less nose-heavy). I keep the iron sights even for bullseye work because ISSF requires them and some very competent coaches advise against dot sights for BE to have better training value. I've never shot a 208 but I have shot against them. At this point in my development, usually I lose. But once upon a time, the Expert next to me at a bullseye match, with a dot sight 208, came up with one fewer X at 50 yards. We will not talk about what happened at 25.
As far as grip angles go, the GSP is very close to the 1911 and indeed this is a frequent beef about the GSP because many people prefer the sharper angles of a Pardini, Morini, or Ruger. I've just kind of adapted and now my natural point of aim is right where it needs to be with the more upright grip.
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.41735.41679