Walther SSP for bullseye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Ray Dash

Walther SSP for bullseye

Post by Ray Dash »

I recently picked up a SSP for shooting in our bullseye league and have a concern about not having a last round bolt hold open and possibly dry firing during a match. I completely understand why the pistol doesn't have the feature but wonder if anything is made to make it hold open? Do SSP owners just make sure they count all their shots in order to not accidentally dry fire the pistol or is dry firing not that big of an issue? I try to avoid dry firing all my 22 pistols whenever possible.
Lablover

Re: Walther SSP for bullseye

Post by Lablover »

I have one as well and just count. I also have a marvel conversion that doesn’t lock open...i count. Sort of takes my mind off what I’m doing. I’ve dry fired it by accident a few times and noticed no issues....yet
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

I see that they sell 6 round mags for the SSP. I think that may be the way to go, I will just load a dummy round in the final spot just in case I accidentally dry fire. I really can't think of any other reason they would sell a 6 round mag?
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

6 round mags are quite common in European competition pistols. I believe there are some disciplines that require them (mainly Scandinavian?)

IIRC, there is a special magazine available from Walther with a hold-open lug, but it's very expensive and therefore hard to even find.
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

I thought I read that they had a hold open mag but i cant find them anywhere.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

I'll ask my friend who shoots one and has the hold-open. Might take a few days, maybe someone will have the answer before.

I wouldn't ignore the gun just because of the non-hold-open. My Benelli doesn't have it, and I've learned to shoot it ok anyway. :)
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

-TT- wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:02 pm I'll ask my friend who shoots one and has the hold-open. Might take a few days, maybe someone will have the answer before.

I wouldn't ignore the gun just because of the non-hold-open. My Benelli doesn't have it, and I've learned to shoot it ok anyway. :)
Thanks for the help. I am sure a few dry fires here and there wont kill the pistol.
Lablover

Post by Lablover »

-TT- wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:02 pm I'll ask my friend who shoots one and has the hold-open. Might take a few days, maybe someone will have the answer before.

Look forward to this. Could be a plus!
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Here is what my friend had to say
they sell 2 buttons for the magazines. By default, they come with the one that closes the slide after mag is empty. Factory says competition shooters prefer. You can buy the alternate size that keeps the slide back after the last round.

I have replaced all mine. When I ordered 2 new mags, I specified the alternative size.

Contact Earl at

http://www.carlwalther.com/
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

I will contact earl and see if he has any. Thanks for the info.
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

Ray Dash wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:26 am I see that they sell 6 round mags for the SSP. I think that may be the way to go, I will just load a dummy round in the final spot just in case I accidentally dry fire. I really can't think of any other reason they would sell a 6 round mag?
In my avatar im shooting a dicipline that requires you to load six rounds.
Its a kind of semi-dynamic competition where you as a shooter are static but targets can be dynamic.
Heres a clip:

https://youtu.be/CZdvPKki_w4
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

VonKasta wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:10 pm
Ray Dash wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:26 am I see that they sell 6 round mags for the SSP. I think that may be the way to go, I will just load a dummy round in the final spot just in case I accidentally dry fire. I really can't think of any other reason they would sell a 6 round mag?
In my avatar im shooting a dicipline that requires you to load six rounds.
Its a kind of semi-dynamic competition where you as a shooter are static but targets can be dynamic.
Heres a clip:

Thanks for the info, finally an answer as to why they sell the 6 round magazines.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

VonKasta wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:10 pm In my avatar im shooting a dicipline that requires you to load six rounds.
Heres a clip:

That's wild! I've heard of this but never seen it done. Is it a regional thing, in Sweden?

So, each shooter fires on a designated target in the lines of five? In the video, the shooter was firing on #3 each time? It looks like quite the challenge to keep track of shot counts, in addition to which target and which set of five!
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

-TT- wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:21 am
VonKasta wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:10 pm In my avatar im shooting a dicipline that requires you to load six rounds.
Heres a clip:

That's wild! I've heard of this but never seen it done. Is it a regional thing, in Sweden?

So, each shooter fires on a designated target in the lines of five? In the video, the shooter was firing on #3 each time? It looks like quite the challenge to keep track of shot counts, in addition to which target and which set of five!
Yes, Sweden, Norway, Finland and maybe a few more places.

You are correct, you walk along a trail in groups of five or six people and along the path there are firing stations built for the day. The note shown before entering the station gives you information about shooting time and how the targets are set up, if you may use a double grip or single and so on.
There is a couple different ways to calculate result that also comes to play when deciding on your firing plan.
You then line up in your designated spot and make sure not to fire at your competitors targets. Every station has a shooting general that gives commands on pre set time marks (load - everybody ready - ten seconds to fire - stand by - fire - ceasefire -secure weapons).
As you may have guessed it was originally military training but has evolved into a popular form of competition.
It is a nice break from regular bulls eye shooting and takes time to master.
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

I contacted Earl and it appears there are no buttons for last round hold open for the SSP, only the GSP models.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Nuts, I thought my friend had the SSP, my bad! Well, if Earl can't help, I guess it can't be done.
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

-TT- wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:29 pm Nuts, I thought my friend had the SSP, my bad! Well, if Earl can't help, I guess it can't be done.
Well it was worth a try. Now I am going to have to take my shoes and socks off to count to 5 each round ;)
Lablover

Post by Lablover »

Well back to counting