What scope to buy for 1907

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Clean Shot 22

What scope to buy for 1907

Post by Clean Shot 22 »

We have a 1907 with 2012 alu stock (women's free rifle)and we are wanting to purchase a scope to mount on this rifle. The use will be for any sights matches and also for test group shooting off a bench. What recommendations would any of you have and use currently ? Also places to purchase said equipment. We do not want cheap stuff but we would like to keep the price reasonable (don't we all).
pdeal

Re: What scope to buy for 1907

Post by pdeal »

The leupold 6.5x20 efr or the B&L 4200 6-24 both have good reputations. Personally I like the leupold because it is more compact. Bruno shooters supply has the leupolds for low to mid $521-$550 depending on what reticle you get. Their web site is www.brunoshooters.com. Both of these scopes will focus down to 10m.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.41667.41654
Clean Shot 22

Post by Clean Shot 22 »

: The leupold 6.5x20 efr or the B&L 4200 6-24 both have good reputations. Personally I like the leupold because it is more compact. Bruno shooters supply has the leupolds for low to mid $521-$550 depending on what reticle you get. Their web site is www.brunoshooters.com. Both of these scopes will focus down to 10m.
Thanks for the input, are their anymore out there, Oh, by the way focusing at 10 meters to 100 yards are the prerequisites. Also can the mounting be reliable on the dovetail ?

Matt Cole

Post by Matt Cole »

I have a Simmons 6.5-20x40 Gold Medal scope that I took off an Anschutz 54.18MS. I sold the rifle and the buyer had his own scope.
It's a great scope for those distances and has a very clear lens with thin crosshairs.
I'm selling it for $250. I think I paid around $400 for it new a few years ago.
Email me offline if you're interested.
Follow the link below to see pictures of the scope.
--Matt

mc-at-harrisfish.com.41669.41654
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Dovetail mounting is reliable enough. The trouble with simple dovetail mounting is that it is hard to get the scope far forward enough in prone. Many people mount the scope on a rail that allows the scope to be mounted a little further forward. There is a pretty good discussion on mounting scopes for smallbore shooting on the florida smallbore site. http://forums.delphiforums.com/FlaSmallbore
Another good choice is the weaver T24. It is not currently available. Weaver discontinued them a few years ago. They are supposed to be bringing them back this fall though. Used they get snapped up pretty quickly. I use a leupold BR24D. This is also good but not made anymore.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.41674.41668
Scott

Post by Scott »

Leupold, Weaver T series and Burris are all fine scopes, as were the late Redfields. Suggest you get something in the 12-15x range for 3P and 20-25X for prone if your hold is up to it. I like the 1/4 or 1/8 minute dot in very fine crosshairs. Allows you to hold on a bullet hole at 50m.
I also have had great success with the BKL mount. It's CNC'd from a single piece of aluminum, and the base and lower rings are all one piece. They have both the single point clamp and two point clamp versions. Single gives more finger room near the loading port. Brownells has them in stock.

: We have a 1907 with 2012 alu stock (women's free rifle)and we are wanting to purchase a scope to mount on this rifle. The use will be for any sights matches and also for test group shooting off a bench. What recommendations would any of you have and use currently ? Also places to purchase said equipment. We do not want cheap stuff but we would like to keep the price reasonable (don't we all).

submoa-at-aol.com.41684.41654