S&W Model 41 Trigger Weight

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

dulcmr-man

S&W Model 41 Trigger Weight

Post by dulcmr-man »

I acquired an older S&W Model 41 and it has a GREAT trigger. So great, in fact, that it's not legal for NRA Precision. It breaks cleanly at 1 3/4 pounds as measured by my inexpensive spring tester. I've already adjusted the trigger pull adjustment lever as far to the rear as possible to get this weight. Are there other remedies that will bring the trigger pull weight up to the minimum required?

Thanks in advance.

Dulcmrman
jglenn

Re: S&W Model 41 Trigger Weight

Post by jglenn »

replace the trigger return spring.. it sits under the adjustment bar and applied pressure to it..
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

jglenn wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:41 pm replace the trigger return spring.. it sits under the adjustment bar and applied pressure to it..
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the exploded view again. When I look at the innards through the frame with the grips removed it looks a bit intimidating. I'll have to study it some before disassembling it. I don't want to goober it up.

Dulcmrman
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

before opening the pistol up, why not get an "expensive spring tester" or at least find someone else who has a trigger weight tester, to confirm the weight. even at some of the tournaments, the trigger weight testing equipment comes up with variances.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

40xguy wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:02 pm before opening the pistol up, why not get an "expensive spring tester" or at least find someone else who has a trigger weight tester, to confirm the weight. even at some of the tournaments, the trigger weight testing equipment comes up with variances.
Perhaps I should have been more precise. I am using an "RCBS Premium Trigger Pull Scale" that retails for about $20, hence my description as inexpensive. It's reasonably accurate (I think) but I have no way to validate its readings. The trigger currently breaks at about 1 3/4 pounds so is about four ounces light. I have a large quantity of Nosler 185gr hollow point bullets so I should be able to kludge together an accurate test weight using some of those in a plastic bag or some such. I'm still guessing I will have to do some work with the springs to bring the gun up to legal specs, but I'll check the RCBS scale before disassembling the gun. I've lots of time, so I reckon I'll take it slowly.

Dulcmrman
spektr

Post by spektr »

The inexpensive testers that are on the market almost never give you tbe same weight horizontally as an NRA vertical weight set. There are impulse issues with tbem. I know my P44 is on because I set it with a weight. After setting it to pass 500 grams, my electronic gauge will not repeat that value reliably.......
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

spektr wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:59 pm The inexpensive testers that are on the market almost never give you tbe same weight horizontally as an NRA vertical weight set. There are impulse issues with tbem. I know my P44 is on because I set it with a weight. After setting it to pass 500 grams, my electronic gauge will not repeat that value reliably.......
I concur. Therefore, I use my RCBS tester in the vertical plane, holding the gun by the barrel with the muzzle pointed up and pulling the tester down. Nevertheless, I believe that the readings could be suspect, so I will make an accurate weight by weighing a sufficient quantity of bullets to reach the two pound threshold and proceed from there.

Dulcmrman
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Isn't it more accurate to hang weight vertically off the trigger? I find this works well with my Model 41 and other handguns. I cut a length of coat hanger wire, bent to hang off the trigger without sliding around, and long enough to hang something off the ends to hold the weight. Then add weight gradually till the trigger trips. For weight I've used a small bucket and add water, or a cloth bag and add empty empty brass cases or what have you. Weigh the weight (including the hanger wire) on a kitchen scale. This gives a repeatable reading. The only pistol it doesn't work for is my TOZ35 free pistol because its trigger is way too light for this method.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Hamster wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:38 am Isn't it more accurate to hang weight vertically off the trigger? I find this works well with my Model 41 and other handguns. I cut a length of coat hanger wire, bent to hang off the trigger without sliding around, and long enough to hang something off the ends to hold the weight. Then add weight gradually till the trigger trips. For weight I've used a small bucket and add water, or a cloth bag and add empty empty brass cases or what have you. Weigh the weight (including the hanger wire) on a kitchen scale. This gives a repeatable reading. The only pistol it doesn't work for is my TOZ35 free pistol because its trigger is way too light for this method.
The official NRA weights are intended to be hung from the trigger in the vertical plane with the gun's barrel pointed up. I discovered a friend who has an official set of weights that he loaned to me. Sure enough, my model 41 trigger was a few ounces light, which I corrected with the adjustment bar in the gun. Additionally, I checked my RCBS spring scale (in the vertical plane) using the official weights and found that the spring scale was dead on accurate using the official weights at all available weight combinations. That's no guarantee other's result will be the same, but mine, at least, works as advertised.

Dulcmrman
Tcc1964

Post by Tcc1964 »

I’m looking to set up a model 41 with an optic. Was thinking a Clark barrel with delta point pro. Any suggestions or advice on this ?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Tcc1964 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:12 pm I’m looking to set up a model 41 with an optic. Was thinking a Clark barrel with delta point pro. Any suggestions or advice on this ?
I can tell you what I did with my M41.....I had my long barrel drilled and tapped for a scope mount, then installed a red dot.

My friend had a Clark barrel, so I looked it over. I was having a problem with stove-pipe jamming, which are difficult to clear on a M41.

Easy fix....I hacksawed off the rear sight extension and dressed the barrel with a mill file (like the Clark). I'm happy.