Rules or etiquette pertaining to distracting body odors?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Quarkman

Rules or etiquette pertaining to distracting body odors?

Post by Quarkman »

Are there any rules pertaining to distracting body odors? I was shooting next to a guy whose stench nearly made me vomit. Try concentrating when you're about to throw up for an hour and fifteen minutes!!! This was distracting. What can I do if there are no rules against this?
Mike Taylor

Re: Rules or etiquette pertaining to distracting body odors?

Post by Mike Taylor »

Try smearing some Vick's "Vapour Rub" (spelling?) around the rim of your nostrils. I think this is what some people use when working with cadavers.
Haven't run across the B.O. problem at a match yet, but have experienced unpleasant, but fortunately brief, whiffs of gaseous discharges from nearby competitors (been guilty of this myself).
: Are there any rules pertaining to distracting body odors? I was shooting next to a guy whose stench nearly made me vomit. Try concentrating when you're about to throw up for an hour and fifteen minutes!!! This was distracting. What can I do if there are no rules against this?

fmtaylor-at-telus.net.41635.41626
Questor

That's funny, sort of.

Post by Questor »

You could always try wearing a painter's cannister air filter mask. I've got one and you can't smell ANYTHING when you're wearing it. I also recall seeing small battery powered fans that clip to the bill of a cap. Neither may have been designed for the rigors that you describe.
Spencer C

Claim a disturbance?

Post by Spencer C »

: Are there any rules pertaining to distracting body odors? I was shooting next to a guy whose stench nearly made me vomit. Try concentrating when you're about to throw up for an hour and fifteen minutes!!! This was distracting. What can I do if there are no rules against this?
Pistol 8.6.7, Rifle 7.13.2.3
Scott

Post by Scott »

Does the gas discharge mentioned count for a DQ during AP prep period? ;)
: Try smearing some Vick's "Vapour Rub" (spelling?) around the rim of your nostrils. I think this is what some people use when working with cadavers.
: Haven't run across the B.O. problem at a match yet, but have experienced unpleasant, but fortunately brief, whiffs of gaseous discharges from nearby competitors (been guilty of this myself).
: : Are there any rules pertaining to distracting body odors? I was shooting next to a guy whose stench nearly made me vomit. Try concentrating when you're about to throw up for an hour and fifteen minutes!!! This was distracting. What can I do if there are no rules against this?

submoa-at-aol.com.41688.41635
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

As long as there are no projectiles with it, I think it's OK.
Chris L in NC

Hey come on, I didn't smell THAT bad!

Post by Chris L in NC »

Depends on whether you want to embarrass the guy into availing himself of "strong enough for a man, but made for a shooter" BO-control products. If not, just quietly go to a match official and ask to be moved to a different firing point and be granted a little extra time. But if you listen to a lot of Dr. Laura, maybe you would feel inspired to ask a match official to make HIM move away since it is HIS fault not yours.
I of course have never had an AD of methane at a match, but the guy next to me has. It didn't bug me too much, seeing as how my home range is downwind of the family hog farm with about 2000 sows. You gotta train the way you're gonna fight.
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.41733.41626