Shooting Sports BACK in the Empire State Games

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bob Riegl

Shooting Sports BACK in the Empire State Games

Post by Bob Riegl »

Good news for shooters all over---Due to the hard work of Chuck Meyer and more people than we have space to mention---the NYS Parks Commissioner has reinstated the Shooting Sports venues and we are now a go for the 26th Annual Empire State Games to be held in Buffalo this July. Hard work, arm bending, and a lot of noise from the New York State shooting community helped make this happen.
MBS

Is this really a good thing?

Post by MBS »

Hello,
A lot of hard work already went into seting up an alternate shooting festival. Venues were established, volunteers scheduled, and try-outs already held. How many shooters already made travel plans? And NOW the state puts the games back in? Seems to me this greatly diminishes the credibility of an alternative in case NY tries to whack the shooting sports again in the future.
Three (Bronx) cheers for Gov. Pataki.
Later,
MBS

Norm

You bet it's a good thing!

Post by Norm »

How could this diminish anyone's credibility? The Binghamton boys were able to put together an alternative tournament in an amazingly short time. Excellent work. Why not have both?
That the NY bureaucracy "saw the light" or at least "felt the heat" also speaks volumes of the shooters in NY. When NJ dropped shooting (bullseye 2700 match) from the Garden State games several years ago, we got nothing but silence.
Norm
nglitz-at-optonline.net.41610.41604
John DeBrita

Re: You bet it's a good thing!

Post by John DeBrita »

My daughter and I were all set to go to Binghamton, and we'll make whatever changes are necessary to go to Buffalo, but I must admit being somewhat skeptical and aprehensive. When they dropped shooting from the ESG's, many shooters made other plans for that time slot, e.g. Perry 3P, so the turnout for the Binghamton festival was light. Now we're shifting to Buffalo at the last minute, and can only lose, not gain, participants unless more tryouts are held. I just hope we're not being set up - "See, we let shooting back in, and they couldn't even come up with enough shooters for a good competition."
As it stands, the only support offered by Parks is uniforms and medals. We're on our own for transportation, housing and meals. This may be particularly burdensome for some scholastic competitor's families. Parents who would have previously sent kids on the bus, trusting the safety and supervision of the on-campus housing, will now have to attend the whole time, unless suitable chaperone arrangements can be made.
The bottom line - if you signed up to go to Binghamton, do everything in your power to get to Buffalo, and provide whatever support you can to enable others to attend. Contact your regional directors to see if any slots have opened up so that participation can be as high as possible.