Heeling & Thumbing

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Doug

Heeling & Thumbing

Post by Doug »

Having problems hitting right (2&3 o'clock mainly, some 4 o'clock). Shot analysis shows possible problem with heeling or thumbing. How do you correct (heal) the these problems?
dloftis110859-at-yahoo.com.41575.0
Mike McDaniel

Re: Heeling & Thumbing

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: Having problems hitting right (2&3 o'clock mainly, some 4 o'clock). Shot analysis shows possible problem with heeling or thumbing. How do you correct (heal) the these problems?
Try adjusting your grip to hold the tunmb off the grip. No pressure at all. I tend toward sticking the thumb up to make sure that I avoid the problem.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41577.41575
Michael Douglass

Post by Michael Douglass »

First of all, you need to be sure that is really the cause of your shots going to those areas of the target. If you are using one of those charts that is found in most guns shops, I would throw it away.
That chart actually makes you worry more about the location of your shots to analyze your technique as opposed to felling your technique and paying attention to what you are doing.
If you pay close enough attention to your technique, you will know what you did correctly or incorrectly without having to look at where your shot went. This will take a lot of practice.
If your troubles are truly heeling and thumbing, you are halfway there.
As simple as it sounds, stop doing it then. This is easier said than done, but there really is no magical cure to eliminating those mistakes.
The easiest and most sure correctipon is having the will to recognize what your are doing and to STOP doing it.
Simple enough?
P.S. Stop using the location of your shots to tell you what you are doing in your shot technique. It will drive you crazy and those charts are usually wrong. They assume that you are only doing one single thing wrong. How does the chart tell you if you are doing two things incorrectly? It doesn't.
Michael Douglass

Michael

Post by Michael »

: First of all, you need to be sure that is really the cause of your shots going to those areas of the target. If you are using one of those charts that is found in most guns shops, I would throw it away.
: That chart actually makes you worry more about the location of your shots to analyze your technique as opposed to feeling your technique and paying attention to what you are doing.
: If you pay close enough attention to your technique, you will know what you did correctly or incorrectly without having to look at where your shot went. This will take a lot of practice.
: If your troubles are truly heeling and thumbing, you are halfway there.
: As simple as it sounds, stop doing it then. This is easier said than done, but there really is no magical cure to eliminating those mistakes.
: The easiest and most sure correctipon is having the will to recognize what your are doing and to STOP doing it.
: Simple enough?
: P.S. Stop using the location of your shots to tell you what you are doing in your shot technique. It will drive you crazy and those charts are usually wrong. They assume that you are only doing one single thing wrong. How does the chart tell you if you are doing two things incorrectly? It doesn't.
: Michael Douglass

Chris L in NC

I think the jerk slice of the pie is accurate

Post by Chris L in NC »

I presume you're referring to the USAMU pie chart with slices labeled Jerk, Heel, Thumb etc. Probably you are right about the others, but after awhile of establishing a pretty tight group at 7:30 in the 5 ring, those shots seem to be the ones I remember getting anxious about and jerking the trigger. This is really applicable in the .45 rapid stage of a BE match. I have another one tomorrow, hopefully with no jerking.
You are also right about the cure for many ills, which is reverse Nike: Just Don't Do It. Over time, this is indeed possible, especially when you get tired of scores that show you didn't do the best you could have.
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.41588.41579
Will

Try positive self-talk

Post by Will »

: I presume you're referring to the USAMU pie chart with slices labeled Jerk, Heel, Thumb etc. Probably you are right about the others, but after awhile of establishing a pretty tight group at 7:30 in the 5 ring, those shots seem to be the ones I remember getting anxious about and jerking the trigger. This is really applicable in the .45 rapid stage of a BE match. I have another one tomorrow, hopefully with no jerking.
: You are also right about the cure for many ills, which is reverse Nike: Just Don't Do It. Over time, this is indeed possible, especially when you get tired of scores that show you didn't do the best you could have.
One thing I suggest is that you change your self-talk. Telling yourself, "No jerking" and "Just Don't Do It" are too negative and counter-productive. If you tell yourself not to jerk the trigger, your brain still is hearing the 'jerk the trigger' part, thereby increasing the chances that you will do exactly what you don't want to do. Eliminate all negative self-talk by substituting it with something else.
Try being positive: instead, try training excellent trigger technique on a blank target while telling yourself, "Smooth Trigger" (or another positive phrase), over and over. Associate the words, "Smooth Trigger" with the proper technique. Train it and do it the same way in matches. It will become an unconscious association only if trained repetitively. Then, if you ever feel the need for a reminder, just recall your phrase and let the trained physical act take over. The best way to break a bad habbit is to replace it with a good one.
Will

willhart-at-mit.edu.41593.41588
Norm

A mental image

Post by Norm »

Imagine the front sight has a hook hanging down under it. When you've got a hard, crisp focus on the front sight, hold it in the center of the rear sight's notch and wrap your finger around the hook. Use your finger on that hook to pull the front sight right straight back, through the notch, into your eyeball.
Take charge of the front sight and just hook it straight back. All the other techniques we talk endlessly about are only to support that front sight and that trigger finger.
These "wheels of misfortune" typically leave the most important area blank: the center! How dumb is that!! Concentrate on the good shots.
Norm
nglitz-at-optonline.net.41598.41593