Which SP for Rapid?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mike McDaniel

Which SP for Rapid?

Post by Mike McDaniel »

With the coming switchover to SPs for RF, a big question is going to come up. Which gun? There's a much broader selection than there was with the pure RF pistols.
My personal opinion, for what very little it is worth, is that the Hammerli 208 will be THE gun, provided you can lay hands on one. The reason is that many RF guns are relatively stubby, to minimize the tendency to flip the gun up when raising it.
Any ideas?
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41529.0
Bob Riegl

Re: Which SP for Rapid?

Post by Bob Riegl »

I was personaly quite surprised when I was practising RF for the upcoming NYS Int. Pistol Festival. I picked up my new MG2 and the score in 4 sec was the only one that suffered slightly. The ejection system of this gun loses the "flip" and subsequently does beautifully with the 8 & 6 second strings---little or no change from my borrowed 232. In fact I am now using the MG2 solely for the RF practise---it points well and quickly, it is extremely steady from target to target, grips are the greatest. I am using JAGD Green Dot subsonic ammo. Additionally I opened up the rear sight one click and I have all the view I need. The future RF targets are also going to change for this event--so it's a let's wait and see after 2004---when the other shoe drops.
Barry Cohen

Re: Which SP for Rapid? - MG2 Inquiry

Post by Barry Cohen »

Who is importing the MG2? What can you tell us about it's weight and balance?
bicohen-at-yahoo.com.41536.41534
David M

Which Ammo? First Question.

Post by David M »

Before you ask which pistol, maybe you should ask which ammo?
What ammo will just meet the 39g x 280 m/s rule. Then ask what pistols will function well on that soft ammo, then ask what pistol handles best?
Any pistol that is good in 10 sec Standard should be OK in Rapidfire.
Rich

ReCap for me on RF, is it reeeealy going to chnage?

Post by Rich »

I have a Pardini Schumann RF pistol, and I'm really trying to get a 'grip' on it. Going so far as to build a RF air pistol in weight and ballance and a 10m 'reduced' RF range in my yard. Now, tell me friends, what is all this talk of pistols, ammo and, targets changing? I'm a beginer and I'm about to drop some money...Let a brother in the know.
Rich

killervw-at-hotmail.com.41548.41536
Mike McDaniel

Seems like a done deal

Post by Mike McDaniel »

For the last several years, there has been debate about the desirability of switching RF over to Standard Pistol designs. The main reasons for this were:
1. Cheaper guns/ammo. There are a lot of mid-range SP's and .22LR ammo. Not so for RF.
2. More reliable guns. SP guns are a LOT more reliable than the RF pistols
3. Common hardware. One pistol for SP, RF, and WSP. If you live in a country where they restrict the number of pistols you can own, this is a Good Thing.
About six months ago, the ISSF started to seriously implement this. As of 2005, they're going to SP gun specifications, .22LR ammo, and a target with a black identical in dimensions to the precision target. The scoring rings will be the same as the current RF target (my bet is that this doesn't last long - they'll go to the precision target for everything to cut costs)
Reaction has been mixed. Those of us who own RF pistols are a bit miffed. The Australians hanging around on this board have been going through the overhead. On the other hand, the long-term arguments are quite strong.

HMSLion-at-aol.com.41549.41548
Mark P.

Re: Which Ammo? First Question.

Post by Mark P. »

Why not just tune the gun to fire whatever ammo you want?
: Before you ask which pistol, maybe you should ask which ammo?
: What ammo will just meet the 39g x 280 m/s rule. Then ask what pistols will function well on that soft ammo, then ask what pistol handles best?
: Any pistol that is good in 10 sec Standard should be OK in Rapidfire.

scott

Re: Which Ammo? First Question.

Post by scott »

If RFP gun reliability and more streamlined match proceedures are the driving force for the .22 short to .22LR change, why not just limit the RFP malfunctions to one per half course instead of 2, and the alleged 'problem' will take care of itself?
You either get a reliable gun-ammo combo or you get DQ'd ASAP. Seems like the quick, ligical and easy solution to the 'problem,' but that's often beyond the powers that be...
: Why not just tune the gun to fire whatever ammo you want?
: : Before you ask which pistol, maybe you should ask which ammo?
: : What ammo will just meet the 39g x 280 m/s rule. Then ask what pistols will function well on that soft ammo, then ask what pistol handles best?
: : Any pistol that is good in 10 sec Standard should be OK in Rapidfire.

submoa-at-aol.com.41568.41558