Air Pistol

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Janne Rahunen

Air Pistol

Post by Janne Rahunen »

Hi,
I'm about to get serius with the fine hobby and looking for the first competition level air pistol?
I went throght several web-sites and narrowed my likes to the folloving list.
Walther LP300
Steyr-Mannlicher LP10
Morini 162EI
Feinwerkbau P34
Hammerli AP 40 AirPistol
Anschutz LP-@
Sam K11
Do yo have any recomendations why to choose one over the another?
Thanks for valuable advice.
Regards,

Janne
Richard

Re: Air Pistol

Post by Richard »

Well, you narrowed it down to all the top air pistols? The best thing is to go out ans see if you can try any of them. They are all capable of shooting top scores. Once you hold them or even better shoot them you will know which one fits you best.
Mark

Post by Mark »

This question is asked very frequently on this board. Every air pistol has its positive and its negative aspects. It is for this reason that selection of the "right" air pistol for you is a highly personal choice. You will find one opinion stating that Brand X is the best pistol, and then another opinion saying that Brand X isn't as good as Brand Y. All of the pistols you have included in your list are excellent pistols - the very finest available today. Any one of them is capable of excellent accuracy. But only one of them will feel right for you as an individual shooter.
I think you'll probably see others here who will provide the same advice as I will. Take your time, go to shooting clubs and talk to shooters, and if possible, shoot as many different pistols as you can. Within a short while you'll find one or two that feel right for you. Once you have narrowed your selection to two or three pistols that you really like, look at other factors which should influence your decision. The biggest factor to take into consideration is whether or not you can get service locally for your pistol. Sooner or later they all need some kind of service, whether it's just adding an accessory like a different width of sight, or replacing seals, having a dealer capable of servicing the pistol is very, very important. Probably the last factor to take into consideration is price. I say this only because I've heard too many people say they wish they had spent the extra $$ and purchased the pistol that "really" fit them. Buy the gun that fits you the best. It will give you confidence, and with confidence comes the ability to concentrate on making every shot a "10".
Now that I've said all that, I'll mention a few points for your consideration as you look at these pistols.
1) Adjustability of grip angle is very important if you find you pick up a pistol and its sights don't automatically align. When it comes to grip angle adjustment, the Steyr guns and LP@ are likely the best as they provide a high degree of flexibility, combined with an ability to lock the settings in place. The Walther's gimbal mounting won't guarantee you get the same settings every time you remove the grip. The Morini isn't adjustable.
2) Adjustability of trigger position is also very important. I have short fingers on a small hand, which means I have to adjust the trigger to its shortest position and rotate the trigger shoe to make good finger contact. Some pistols allow for adjustment in as many as 8 directions, while others aren't so flexible.
3) Adjustability of sights, and in particular, rear sight width and depth. Some pistols don't allow the rear sight to easily be adjusted for width and depth, making it more difficult to adapt to widely varying lighting conditions.
4) Compensators - some are designed to ensure the pellet leaves the barrel undisturbed (ie Morini), while others are designed to ensure undisturbed pellet flight, and to reduce muzzle rise as you fire. The latter ones (Steyr, LP@, Walther) may give you more ability to "call" your shots and practice good follow-through as the sights remain closer to the target after the shot is released.
5) Recoil absorption - some guns have it, and some guns don't. After shooting a pistol without an absorber, I switched to one with an absorber, and couldn't believe the difference. My scores didn't improve immediately, but I could tell exactly where each shot went on the target.
6) Weight and balance point. Every pistol is different in this regard, with some being muzzle-heavy, and some being balanced more toward the grip. If you have arm/shoulder troubles, then overall weight of the pistol also becomes a concern. Although it may not seem like it, a difference of 100 grams is quite a lot when you raise and lower the pistol perhaps 70 - 100 times in a match! Again, you need to choose the pistol that feels best for you.
7) Trigger "feel". Some folks like a very crisp or dry trigger, while some folks prefer a trigger with more of a "rolling" feel to it. Again, very much personal preference. The Morini 162 EI probably is the one pistol that really stands out of the crowd because of its electronic trigger. Every time I feel the Morini trigger I say to myself "this trigger can't possibly meet the 500 gram limit -it feels far too light." But this is the beauty of that particular trigger, it just feels very light and smooth. The only way you will know which trigger you prefer is to shoot as many different ones as possible, and pick the one that suits your preference.
Sorry for my long answer. Unfortunately you asked a question that can't be answered in just a few words. Good luck in your choice of pistols, and welcome to the wonderful world of air pistol shooting!

Mark.

Chris

Post by Chris »

: Hi,
: I'm about to get serius with the fine hobby and looking for the first competition level air pistol?
: I went throght several web-sites and narrowed my likes to the folloving list.
: Walther LP300
: Steyr-Mannlicher LP10
: Morini 162EI
: Feinwerkbau P34
: Hammerli AP 40 AirPistol
: Anschutz LP-@
: Sam K11
: Do yo have any recomendations why to choose one over the another?
: Thanks for valuable advice.
: Regards,
:
: Janne
The Morini 162EI is what you will see being used by the majority of the worlds top shooters. When I made my choice four years ago I picked the Morini over the Steyr and the Pardini. The electronic trigger and the ability to dry fire without resetting a switch or cocking the gun was the major point that swayed me. There are lots of other reasons as well (grip) but that feature really comes in handy. Like the other guys said, see if you can try others to see what is best for you. Good luck.
ccrice-at-viaccess.net.41517.41510
Steve Gile

Post by Steve Gile »

: I'm about to get serius with the fine hobby and looking for the first competition level air pistol?
:
Choose the Anschutz LP@ because I have a brand new one I will make you a heck of a deal on. Contact me either by phone (641) 754-2367 M-F 8-5 CST, or via email steve.gile@frco.com or srgile11@mchsi.com

srgile11-at-mchsi.co.41519.41510
Mako

Post by Mako »

It's true that most of the elite shooters are using the Morini 162EI or the Steyr LP-10. The Anschutz that Steve is selling is a new version of the LP-10 (Anschutz owns Steyr I believe). There are reasons those are the most popular match air pistols. If you are not that strong ... there is a shorter, lighter version of the Morini 162EI and the Anschutz.
Almost EVERYONE needs to eventually work on making their grip fit better. You should read the Nygord Notes on grip fitting.
Don't get hung up on the hardware .... you are the one that makes the shot, not the pistol. Check out the LINK below, click on Results to see the excellent scores being shot by a wide variety of air pistols.
Check out the many excellent features about shooting and hardware on the Pilkgun (our message board sponsor) web site. Read the Interviews with World Class shooters ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.41520.41510
Bob

Post by Bob »

Janne, Try and shoot, or handle, all of them if possible. All the ones you list are great. I picked the Walther LP300. It felt good when I shot it, Mako's article on it and it looked good with my existing GSP Expert's :-). Like others have said, all the pistols in this class will shoot one ragged hole so it's what fits 'you' best and a pistol 'you' will have confidence in.
Then after that hard part is over ENJOY!!!!!

Matvei

Post by Matvei »

I guess the list you have is enough. I think you come from Finland. Visit either Heikki Taipalus in Ikkeläjärvi or Aseliike Rantanen in Humppila and you get what you want.
Morini (I preferred the short barrel version CM162 EI, which has less front weight compared with the longer barrel version) is my choice, and have used it just for a year after close to twenty years with FWB CO2
:

Matti_Tarvainen-at-hotmail.com.41525.41510
Mako

There is also a short, lite LP300 .nt

Post by Mako »

: Janne, Try and shoot, or handle, all of them if possible. All the ones you list are great. I picked the Walther LP300. It felt good when I shot it, Mako's article on it and it looked good with my existing GSP Expert's :-). Like others have said, all the pistols in this class will shoot one ragged hole so it's what fits 'you' best and a pistol 'you' will have confidence in.
: Then after that hard part is over ENJOY!!!!!

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.41527.41523
Richard

Post by Richard »

Actually from what I have seen it seems that the LP10 is more popular on the world cup circuit. 4 out 8 in the finals in Munich had LP10's there were 2 morini's a walther and something I couldn't recornize, it was also similiar in Zagreb.