Chamber "plating" in Pardini 45

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Questor

Chamber "plating" in Pardini 45

Post by Questor »

Strange problem department: I am shooting a Pardini 45 and have had what I call "chamber plating". There appears to be lead buildup in the chamber itself. It could not be removed in a resonable time with a conventional brush or solvent. The effect is to cause stovepipes and other extraction problems. Using a Wilson chamber brush seems to have solved the problem. This is a very stiff, densely bristled stainless steel brush.
What causes this? Have you ever heard of this problem? It doesn't seem to happen on 1911s. Is there a way of preventing it?

Greg Derr

Re: Chamber "plating" in Pardini 45

Post by Greg Derr »

Never use a stainless brush on any part od a target gun. This will cause scratching and gouges in some cases making things worse.
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

I am also not happy about running any stainless brush through any gun if it can be avoided. On the otherhand if there is a real problem then it maybe the only choice although my preference is copper or bronze. I would be more inclined to look at one of the more severe lead removers like Sweats which, if used by the book, will not give you any problems. It can be murder if you do not do it by the book.
I suspect the honing of the cylinder may help but again I would think hard and long on this decision as well.
Possibly a change of load might work. I am thinking of maybe a faster powder to try and seal the chamber earlier. No facts on this comment however as it is just a thought I have had.
It might be nice, when you do resolve the problem, that you add the results to this site for all of us.
Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob
: Strange problem department: I am shooting a Pardini 45 and have had what I call "chamber plating". There appears to be lead buildup in the chamber itself. It could not be removed in a resonable time with a conventional brush or solvent. The effect is to cause stovepipes and other extraction problems. Using a Wilson chamber brush seems to have solved the problem. This is a very stiff, densely bristled stainless steel brush.
: What causes this? Have you ever heard of this problem? It doesn't seem to happen on 1911s. Is there a way of preventing it?

blambert-at-acay.com.au.41498.41473
Peter Vandenbussche

Post by Peter Vandenbussche »

: Strange problem department: I am shooting a Pardini 45 and have had what I call "chamber plating". There appears to be lead buildup in the chamber itself. It could not be removed in a resonable time with a conventional brush or solvent. The effect is to cause stovepipes and other extraction problems. Using a Wilson chamber brush seems to have solved the problem. This is a very stiff, densely bristled stainless steel brush.
: What causes this? Have you ever heard of this problem? It doesn't seem to happen on 1911s. Is there a way of preventing it?
I will be short. I have never experienced this problem, but then again I clean (one of) my favorite Pardini('s) every time I use it (them). Maybe that can explain.,
Greatings from a Pardini Fan,
Peter
Belgium

werner.vdb-at-skynet.be.42304.41473