Tuesdays news from the Nationals

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

USAS

Tuesdays news from the Nationals

Post by USAS »

FT. BENNING, Ga. – Nineteen-year-old New Jersey native Erin Skeuse broke out of her self-proclaimed “slump” to win the 10m Women’s Air Rifle event at the 2003 National Championships Tuesday.
In the second round, Skeuse shot a personal-best of 394 and went on to finish strong in the finals for a two-day total of 890.9. Skeuse edged out Hattie Johnson (Buena Vista, Ga.) by less than a point to win the gold. Elizabeth Tidmore finished third with 884.3.
Skeuse just finished her second year at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks and is a member of its nationally-renowned rifle team. However, she explains, it wasn’t until she returned home to Stockton, N.J., that she regained her confidence at the line.
“I really couldn’t focus up at school, like I can at home,” Skeuse says. “Between my job and homework, I didn’t really have the time I needed to concentrate on training. This summer I have been able to spend all day, if I need to, just practicing my shot.”
Skeuse had a disappointing finish at the Spring Selection match, but after hours and hours of practicing on her parents porch, has at last found redemption.
“I really feel that if I keep up the hard work I could be in the position to win quota slots and medals for the U.S. And this National win just reestablishes that.”
Over on the Running Target range, Men’s 50m 30+30 and Mixed Matches came to a close. Bill Johnson and Armando Ayala both came out on top after Monday’s 30+30 match. But after a shootout, Bill Johnson proved the champion, finishing with a 666 compared to Ayala’s 665.
In today’s Mixed event, however, Ayala couldn’t be touched. He took an eight-point lead on Lance Dement and finished on top in Running Target’s last event of the 2003 National Championships. Both Ayala and Dement are members of the Army Marksmanship Unit.
For more information and for full results, please log on to www.usashooting.org.