Improved FP10

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Raub

Improved FP10

Post by Raub »

Hi there,
a week ago someone mentioned here that the Hämmerli (SAM) improved/solved the trigger problems with the FP10, that got some bad comments here in the group a year ago? Is that right? What did they do?
Thanks Raub
uraub-at-web.de.41417.0
Mark

Re: Improved FP10

Post by Mark »

: Hi there,
: a week ago someone mentioned here that the Hämmerli (SAM) improved/solved the trigger problems with the FP10, that got some bad comments here in the group a year ago? Is that right? What did they do?
: Thanks Raub
A friend of mine has an FP10 that went "bang" when the breach was closed. Another acquaintance has the same problem with his. In both guns the three hinge points in the trigger were stainless steel pins. I know "hinge point" isn't the right term to explain it... Let's just say that there are three points in the trigger system where parts are required to rotate relative to each other, and they rotate on steel pins.
The factory wanted the entire gun returned for analysis. With current legislation and customs constraints there was absolutely no way this could be a workable solution. After much wrangling with Hammerli (by the way, our local dealer here was fantastic - he wouldn't take no for an answer), the company shipped a completely new trigger assembly in exchange for the old. This one is a fit form and function replacement for the original, except that all three of the hinge points now ride on ball bearings.
The new trigger assembly hasn't yet produced a "bang" when it shouldn't, but has only seen a couple of bricks of ammo put through it. Our dealer has sold several of these pistols and has insisted that Hammerli replace the trigger unit in each and every one of them. If you press them with this as a safety concern rather than a functional concern, it seems to get their attention.
If you're getting an FP-10 as a new gun, I would recommend that you insist on having its trigger unit replaced with the ball bearing unit. Likewise, insist the factory replace the front sight with the 18mm tall one, as the original factory sight is far too short to allow you to have a sub-6 hold.

Mark.
Paul Ha

Post by Paul Ha »

"Likewise, insist the factory replace the front sight with the 18mm tall one, as the original factory sight is far too short to allow you to have a sub-6 hold."
Please enlighten me on this one. A sub-6 hold requires a gun to shoot high, achieved by an elevated setting on the rear sight. It would seem that a taller front sight would just require the rear sight to be elevated that much more, would it?

paul_ha00-at-hotmail.com.41431.41423
Walter

Post by Walter »

: "Likewise, insist the factory replace the front sight with the 18mm tall one, as the original factory sight is far too short to allow you to have a sub-6 hold."
: Please enlighten me on this one. A sub-6 hold requires a gun to shoot high, achieved by an elevated setting on the rear sight. It would seem that a taller front sight would just require the rear sight to be elevated that much more, would it?
You're mixed up.
For a sub 6 you lower the rear sight.
You move the rear sight in the direction that you want the bullet to go.
It's opposite for front sights.

wallyis-at-budweiser.com.41432.41431
walter

oops

Post by walter »

Sorry,
I'm mixed up.

Mark

Explanation of FP10 Sight for Paul

Post by Mark »

: "Please enlighten me on this one. A sub-6 hold requires a gun to shoot high, achieved by an elevated setting on the rear sight. It would seem that a taller front sight would just require the rear sight to be elevated that much more, would it?"
Hi Paul,
Your assumption is correct - perhaps it's my description that's incorrect or unclear. The original front sight is 16mm tall, although some of the newer ones are 17.5 mm tall. With the rear sight screwed all the way down to its lowest position and a 16mm front sight, the point of impact was off the top of the target when using a sub-6 hold. The only way to hit the target was to sight at the target designator numbers below the target! By adding a taller front sight the point of impact could be brought down the paper - with an 18mm front sight there was sufficient adjustment available in the rear sight to allow 10-ring hits with either a centre hold or a typical sub-6 hold.
I hope this has clarified the situation.
Despite all the comments I've made in this and previous posts, the FP-10 remains the free pistol that "fits" me the best and produces consistant results. I just don't have the $$ to buy a new free pistol, so I'll struggle along with my earlier-generation Hammerli products! I continue to borrow my friends FP-10 whenever he'll let me, because it shoots so well for me.

Mark.
PS - I may still take you up on your generous offer to machine TOZ parts. I'm still working with my friend to see if he can source one locally.
Paul Ha

Thanks, Mark. (NT)

Post by Paul Ha »

paul_ha00-at-hotmail.com.41446.41437