Corrective shooting glasses

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bill177

Corrective shooting glasses

Post by Bill177 »

As the years tick by my eyes have gotten tired and are no longer able to focus close-up. Therefore I having a hard time with my pistol shooting now.
I don't really want to get into something as fancy as Knobloch or Champion - so, has anyone experimented with various low power reading glasses: such as .50, 1.0, or 1.5 diopter? Did the idea work, or should I go for the "real" thing?
Thanks,
Bill
airgun-at-despammed.com.41385.0
LesJ

Re: Corrective shooting glasses

Post by LesJ »

I do not believe that you can buy anything lower than +1.0 in ready made let say at Wal-mart. In my case I need +.50 to +.75 and I need reading glasses. You need prescription to make glasses to your order and than cost of eye exam and glasses made to your order will cost you as much as shooting glasses. You will find that you may need different power for different conditions and as your eyes get worse it also will require different power. Shooting glasses offer better adjustability so you can look thru the center of the lens and blinder for your non shooting eye., so in long run they will cost you less.

Norm

Post by Norm »

Similar vision problem at age 55. I've always had 20/20 or better, but noe my arm's not long enough to focus on the front sight.
I have in my hand a pair of +.75 reading glasses from the local dollar store. They'e labeled "extra weak". I've settled on a pair of similarly acquired 1.25 diopter readers for my IZH46 and just won a leg match today using 1.50 for my .45 hardball gun. The longer barrel needs less correction, for me anyway. Everybody that sells $200 glasses will tell you how awful the cheapies are. Don't believe it.
Dollar store cheapies are a good way to play around with different power lenses. If nothing else, you'll be better informed when you do hit the optometrist for a real exam. (It's inevitable)
Norm
nglitz-at-optonline.com.41388.41386
Joe G.

Post by Joe G. »

I had done some playing with a device called Clearsight. It attached to standard frame glasses and allowed you to play with several different diopter values. It was interesting and helpful but I am pretty sure it is no longer being marketed. Just a few weeks ago I finally got a correct lens for a pair of Knobloch pistol glasses that I bought second hand over a year ago (procrastination). With an adjustable iris and the ability to easily change diopters and even colored filters it has already been a boon to my shooting. Now that I have actually been using them I would recommend the idea very highly, they are very beneficial.

JosephJFG-at-aol.com.41389.41385
Jack H

Post by Jack H »

I recently set myself up with a Knobloch lens and iris. I tried a +.25 lens first, but the rear sight was more in focus than the front. I came up with this number using the Clearsight over my distance Rx. (distance -.75 plus Clearsight +1.0 = +.25 diopters)
I then took a pistol facsimile to the eye doc who set me up with a lens to focus at 31" which he measured himself to the "front sight".
The doc can determine any astigmatism correction that is needed. My present lens is "plano" in power and includes the astigmatism numbers.
BTW I put the knobloch lens and holder on a Champion Olympic frame with a small adaptor.
hamden106-at-yahoo.com.41391.41386
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hi,
Check out the computer section at Wal-Mart. I found a pair of +0.5 diopter "computer glasses" (they also had 0.75 and 1.0). The glasses are a amber color. They allowed me to focus on the front sight just fine. As I recall they were priced at less than ten dollars.
I have since moved to indoor shooting shooting exclusively. I found I needed a clear lens in the evenings so I purchased a set of Varga shooting glasses from our host at a cost that is quite a bit less than the Knobloch or Champion.
--Jerry
jerry.levan-at-eku.edu.41395.41385
LArry Lohkamp

Post by LArry Lohkamp »

Shooting glasses, when properly set up allow you to look through the optical center of the lens while in your shooting position. Improperly set up shooting glasses are no better than standard frames. The advantages of using the optical center of your lense is worth the cost of the frames and the trouble setting them up.
The problem with drug store glasses is finding what you need when you don't even know yourself. You can haul in a stick calibrated to your pistol sight distance and try glasses until you think it looks right and probably see an improvement of sorts. You will not be able to correct for astigmatism, and more importantly you won't know if glaucoma, cataracts, diabetes, and so on are affecting your vision. Such things are only addressable by a trained professional. If you are getting old enough to need reading glasses, you're old enough to get a proper check up. After all, loosing your eyesight makes shooting a '10' a shot in the dark.
: As the years tick by my eyes have gotten tired and are no longer able to focus close-up. Therefore I having a hard time with my pistol shooting now.
: I don't really want to get into something as fancy as Knobloch or Champion - so, has anyone experimented with various low power reading glasses: such as .50, 1.0, or 1.5 diopter? Did the idea work, or should I go for the "real" thing?
: Thanks,
: Bill

Jack H

Post by Jack H »

Adding to what Larry said
A good lens and frame like my recent efforts produced, make a world of improvement. There is no comparison between the real thing and make-do glasses.

: Shooting glasses, when properly set up allow you to look through the optical center of the lens while in your shooting position. Improperly set up shooting glasses are no better than standard frames. The advantages of using the optical center of your lense is worth the cost of the frames and the trouble setting them up.
: The problem with drug store glasses is finding what you need when you don't even know yourself. You can haul in a stick calibrated to your pistol sight distance and try glasses until you think it looks right and probably see an improvement of sorts. You will not be able to correct for astigmatism, and more importantly you won't know if glaucoma, cataracts, diabetes, and so on are affecting your vision. Such things are only addressable by a trained professional. If you are getting old enough to need reading glasses, you're old enough to get a proper check up. After all, loosing your eyesight makes shooting a '10' a shot in the dark.
: : As the years tick by my eyes have gotten tired and are no longer able to focus close-up. Therefore I having a hard time with my pistol shooting now.
: : I don't really want to get into something as fancy as Knobloch or Champion - so, has anyone experimented with various low power reading glasses: such as .50, 1.0, or 1.5 diopter? Did the idea work, or should I go for the "real" thing?
: : Thanks,
: : Bill

hamden106-at-yahoo.com.41411.41399
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I too am 55, and my arms are not growning long enough, or fast enough to keep up with the aging process of this carbon based life form.
I have a pair of Varga shooting glasses. I have the adjutable opening, and the blinder. I have them set up for looking throgh them, so as to help keep your head in one place. They ain't bad, but, they ain't no magic pill either. Plus they are a pain to use. If you need help with close up vision, and are shooting at home, you gotta take the glasses on and off to score,load the pellet holder,walk, answer the phone, and most thing you want to do up close. Shooting at a match would not apply here.
So, I too, went to Wal-mart, and got me some reading glasses. The ones I have are like full sized plastic frames, not the end of nose half glasses. Sanded the left lense to opaque, and they do just fine. Easy to put on and take off, and precription is no problem, so far.
I did visit the D.O. this Last Saturday. After examination, he came to the same conclusion that I did as to the amount of magnification I needed. Lenses can be made locally for all brands of shooting glasses, with a precription. The only problem that I have is the temples on the shooting glasses are made to go behind the ear, and have some spring to them. Mine do that. But thenearly straight temples on the cheap glassess are so much easier to take on and off, that I use them most of the time.
Just my humble opinion.
Respectfully,
Bubba
Danhankiins-at-wmconnect.com.41427.41388
GaryN

bifocals

Post by GaryN »

Bubba
I have the same problem, and I normally wear tri-focals. Right now I have a pair of std glasses frames w single prescription lenses for AP. While I can focus on the front sight with those glasses, I can't see anything up close. For example, I can't see the pellet, its just a fuzzy gray object, I have to rely on feeling the pellet to make sure I don't load it backwards (which I occassionally still do). I can't read the print on the sights L/R U/D w the glasses on, I have to lift up the glasses to read the sights.
I'm considering new lens with a small bifocal portion at the bottom of the lens, so I can see on the bench. I'm still trying to figure out how to set up the prescriptions on my Varga frame, and weather to use one or two lenses. One setup I'm thinking of is using 2 lens; R=AP front sight, L=distance+reading bifocal.
It's the pitts when your eyes get old.
Gary
gsnaka-at-attbi.com.41601.41427