How long can you leave compressed air in the cylinder?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

JMJ

How long can you leave compressed air in the cylinder?

Post by JMJ »

Is there some time limit as to how long you can leave compressed air in an air pistol? I've been emptying the cylinder after each use, but the almost 100 pumps to get it back up to 200bar are a real pain. If I can leave some in (around 75bar) without damaging it, I'd like to. (Steyr LP5)
Thanks
LesJ

Re: How long can you leave compressed air in the cylinder?

Post by LesJ »

There is no reason to drain air from cylinder at all. If you want to stay on safe side, occasionally you can drain it while holding it with valve pointing down to blow any water, if any.
By using hand pump there is slightly higher chance of introducing moisture to the air cylinder. This also depends
on humidity of air that you are pumping in.
Richard

Post by Richard »

There is no need to empty the cylinder at all. As you are pumping it up by hand you actually could be doing more damage by increasing the likelihood of adding moisture. The only time you have to empty it is if you are traveling by air with it.
: Is there some time limit as to how long you can leave compressed air in an air pistol? I've been emptying the cylinder after each use, but the almost 100 pumps to get it back up to 200bar are a real pain. If I can leave some in (around 75bar) without damaging it, I'd like to. (Steyr LP5)
: Thanks

JMJ

Post by JMJ »

Thanks. My pump has a valve to bleed off water, so I can do that as necessary. I'll leave the air in when I'm done, it'll make pumping it back to 200bar much easier.

: There is no reason to drain air from cylinder at all. If you want to stay on safe side, occasionally you can drain it while holding it with valve pointing down to blow any water, if any.
: By using hand pump there is slightly higher chance of introducing moisture to the air cylinder. This also depends
: on humidity of air that you are pumping in.

LesJ

Post by LesJ »

Unfortunately that does not remove all the moisture, but is pretty effective. Avoid pumping in very humid locations and you will not have any problems. Only time you want to drain cylinder is (like mentioned in other reply) when you travel by air and also when you sand it e.g. for repair.
LesJ

Typo- it should say send it (NT).

Post by LesJ »

JMJ

Post by JMJ »

Okay, thanks. I'll just run my dehumidifier before filling the cylinders.

: Unfortunately that does not remove all the moisture, but is pretty effective. Avoid pumping in very humid locations and you will not have any problems. Only time you want to drain cylinder is (like mentioned in other reply) when you travel by air and also when you sand it e.g. for repair.