Help me buy a Free Pistol

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Paul

Help me buy a Free Pistol

Post by Paul »

The time has come to buy a free pistol.
Price is no object, I only want to do this once (I only get to do this once).
I am looking for something new, not used. Please share your experience.
My thoughts:
TOZ - wins matches, but has parts, fit and finish issues
Morini - good reputation, but because of electronic trigger does not have full adjustability
Hammerli - don't know anyone shooting one
Pardini - seems to be popular choice for SP and CF, don't know about FP.
What would you buy?
paul.ruppert-at-utoronto.ca.41340.0
greg derr

Re: Help me buy a Free Pistol

Post by greg derr »

Paul: I have shot all the guns you mentioned. I would have to say Morini at this point. The quality of manufacture,parts availability, reliability and shootability are the best on the market. Toz would be a second choice- Greg
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I went through this about six months ago. Don Nygord steered me toward the Toz-35. He goes over the ones he sells and debugs them for you. If you check the Hitchikers Guide to Shooting Glory, there's a new section on FP.
Picking a FP seems to be very much a study in games theory. The Toz makes the best of your bad shots (shoot 8s instead of 7s), the Morini makes the best or your good shots (shoot 10s instead of 9s). As to the rest, the Hammerli is respected but not hot, and the latest Pardini is just not shooting the top scores on a regular basis.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41344.41340
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok, here are some very subjective comments...
TOZ - great gun, but don't let anybody kid you, parts are a problem. I just had a call tonight from a fellow who broke a part in his, and then was astonished to find that it doesn't appear on the parts breakdown in the manual! I have one of these as my backup gun, and I know I can count on it to make my bad shots not quite so bad. But it's darned hard to shoot 10X's with it! One other thing that I find distracting is that its sights aren't either true nor square. Just a niggly in the "fit and finish" catagory...
Hammerli - FP-10 - If you like the feel of your air pistol, then this is the gun for you. Problems have been found with trigger units, but Hammerli now has a trigger with all hinge points running on bearings, and it seems to work well. The front sight supplied with the gun is a bit short for a deep sub-6 hold, so you need to ensure you get the 18mm tall front sight with your gun. Grip and trigger are the most adjustable of any FP on the market. All in all, a very nice gun. A friend of mine lets me shoot his during his odd moment of weakness, and I've got to say it's darned hard to hand it back to him! Also worthy of consideration is the compensator - this is the only one on the market that actually works, and doesn't plug up with lead. Many others only last a hundred or fewer rounds before plugging up - I've seen the FP-10 comp after 1000 rounds, and it is dirty, but still functional. Besides which, the two counterbalace "antennae" allow the gun to sit fully upright on the bench, making it easy to check if it's unloaded. Definitely cool.
Pardini - no experience with the new K-22, but hope to be getting some soon!
Morini - Again, haven't been able to get my hands on one of these yet, but hope to in August. The only negative comments that I've heard from their shooters are the lack of adjustability in the trigger position/action. But I've also heard lots of comments that this trigger is the best in the business... The second bugaboo seems to be that its compensator features small vent holes which plug up frequently. A friend who shoots on the international circuit found it interesting to watch high-level shooters poking bits of lead from their Morini compensators whilst on the line in practice sessions.
Good luck with your purchase, and your new free pistol!
Mark.
TCK

Post by TCK »

You are so fortunate that price does not play an important factor in your consideration.
In such case, I would recommend you to consider the Morini 84E. I have owned one myself and surprised to the ease in controlling the pistol. Other virtue about the pistol is its craftmmanship, quality of the finish and the grip, dry fire convenience and the safety device on the trigger.
Everyone in the shooting world would admit that the 50 m FP is the ultimate challenge in precision shooting, hand gun catagory. (ooh, I hope I would not raise a debate here), on my first session with the Morini, I really did not expect anything, Even with an oversize grip without any modifications, trigger adjsutment and other things, I manage to shoot quite a self pleasing grouping after 20 soemthing rounds.
Only one thing about this FP is it has quite a selelctive appetite for ammos. It does not Eley quite sell and the empty shell just stuck in the chammer but Laupa performs faultlessly with the pistol. However, the pity is Laupa supplies 2 different bullet weights for their master grade .22 lr but I can have only one type available in my city. Also, it seems using this ammo cause less lead built up in the compensator.

Matvei

Post by Matvei »

Paul,
I went through this same quest earlier this year. I own (still) my old Pardini PGP75, but after trying Hämmerli FP10, I realized FP10 is my choice, and I shall make my purchace later this summer. FP10 has excellent balance, just a feeling like an air pistol, it feels smaller than it actually is. The counterbalance weight rods make it a bit spacy, but they make the gun standing like a rock. I think the design leads to the same source of design as Morini guns.
I like to remind that FP10 is actually manufactured by SAM, the same company which for example makes K11 air pistol.
Some have mentioned TOZ35 as the best choice your money can get, but I do not know the continuation of production of that brand. Anyway, it is still well available at second hand markets.
What ever you choice "Good Shots", FP is still the most challenging of any olympic competition.
Matti_Tarvainen-at-hotmail.com.41352.41340
Bob L.

What about Styer ?

Post by Bob L. »

I am also looking for a free pistol
cbrv21-at-REMOVElinkline.com.41353.41340
Paul Ha

Un-named broken TOZ part

Post by Paul Ha »

" TOZ - great gun, but don't let anybody kid you, parts are a problem. I just had a call tonight from a fellow who broke a part in his, and then was astonished to find that it doesn't appear on the parts breakdown in the manual!"
Being an avid admirer of the TOZ 35 and having access to machining equipment, I would very much like to know the part that is broken .... maybe I could help and, in the course of doing that, enrich myself both with the knowledge of making that particular part for the fellow shooter and supplying myself with a spare as well. Please contact me about the part. Thank you.

paul_ha00-at-hotmail.com.41371.41347
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

I would have to say look at the Morini if only for the after sales service from the factory. A shooting mate of mine found a crack in a Morini Air pistol that was two years old (a year out of warranty). He emailed the factory, who were most distressed to hear of his problem. They asked him to return the gun to the factory and once confirmed as cracked they offered him the choice of ANY Morini handgun as a replacement. He took another of their short barrel air pistols.
In his case he also owns a Morini FP. He says it is the best he has tried and he has tried a few. He is also pleased to know he will have the excellent support he has already experienced from Morini.
Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

blambert-at-acay.com.au.41405.41340
Raub

Post by Raub »

Hi there,
right now I´m going through the same problems. The TOZ is cheap and recommended by medals, you can get an upgraded version by Frankonia here in Germany. But I don´t like it and it´s too heavy for me . The FP10 got some very bad comments in this group here half a year ago (check it), I did not shoot it but did handle it and liked it a lot. I shot the Pardinin K22 and that one was very fine. I will try to get the Morini and will finalyy choose between the Morini and the Pardini with custom made grip.
Raub
uraub-at-web.de.41416.41340
Mark

Re: What about Styer ?

Post by Mark »

I believe Steyr no longer manufactures their free pistol. I'd love to have one as they appeal to me on several levels. But one can only have so many free pistols in the vault... ;-)
R

Post by R »

I dont know if its picky with ammo because I bought a large batch of Lapua Club. This ammo has very good accuracy. My Morini is able to get 15x15 millimeter groups at 50 meters with it. The Lapua Club comes in cans with 500 rounds at a cost of 250 SEK (Swedish krona), maybe 20 USD.
At matches I use Lapua Master.

: Only one thing about this FP is it has quite a selelctive appetite for ammos. It does not Eley quite sell and the empty shell just stuck in the chammer but Laupa performs faultlessly with the pistol. However, the pity is Laupa supplies 2 different bullet weights for their master grade .22 lr but I can have only one type available in my city. Also, it seems using this ammo cause less lead built up in the compensator.