Anxiety

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Michelle T

Anxiety

Post by Michelle T »

Hi guys,
I found that if I soak myself in a hot bath filled with aromatherapy oils, its help me to relax and able to shoot better the next day. My anxiety decreases and I am more relax on match day.
My question is whether I would fail a doping test using these aromatherapy oils. I presumed they are more psychological than anything. But I have to be very sure and you never know that these high-tech laboratory can do.
Michelle T
RFW

Re: Anxiety

Post by RFW »

I think you'll be OK. Just don't drink the stuff. ;-)

Chris L in NC

Ask the US Anti-Doping Agency

Post by Chris L in NC »

They have complete lists of prohibited and controlled substances. I think I printed out one of their "wallet cards" once and noticed that my asthma meds are OK so long the doc prescribes them.
It's pretty well known that dietary supplements often have naughty things in them. I have no idea if aromatherapy oils will generate vapors that would cause you to test positive. Maybe others do.
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.41176.41160
Joe Matusic, MD

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

Some thoughts:
You can actually absorb a significant amount of chemicals through the skin and through the lungs.
The first pass tests for these "drugs" are often looking for specific signatures of chemicals that can indicate a number of different things, not just illegal drugs.
The first pass may show positive, but the final tests should be more definitive.
Since the ingredients in the "aromatherapy" stuff is either proprietary or not known, then there is virtually no way to rule out a positive before testing.
You might look up the banned drugs, look up the chemical name and the source (often a plant), then cross reference that with the literature you get for the aromatherapy stuff. Its possible the source of the banned drug could be the same as the source plant for the aromatherapy.
I would seriously doubt a problem though. If its that critical, ask your local doctor to test you immediately after the bath (peak blood levels) for the banned drugs.

Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.41216.41160
JP O'Connor

Caution

Post by JP O'Connor »

: They have complete lists of prohibited and controlled substances. I think I printed out one of their "wallet cards" once and noticed that my asthma meds are OK so long the doc prescribes them.
: ....
Check carefully, Chris. Some of the meds for asthma are allowed only if 1) prescribed by doc in presence of a certain diagnosis (not just prescribed for any reason), AND 2) a form (good for 12 months) is filled out by you and the doc and filed with the NGB. Check carefully since these cases are not "banned" and they are not "allowed" either. They are banned unless ALL of the specifics fall into place properly and then, and only then, are they allowed.
For example, certain drugs are allowed if prescribed for asthma and only if the form is filed... but the same drug is banned if prescribed for exercise induced asthma.

jpoc-at-acm.org.41222.41176
G. Hornseth

Post by G. Hornseth »

I would not worry about it unless you are shooting at the level of being able to make the US Olympic Team. When we went to the 2000 Olympic trials, I wondered too about such things. Noted that the only people tested were those who actually made the team.
The message for me (a totally ordinary shooter) was to keep taking those beta blockers or other prohibited but medically prescribed medications and forget about anti-doping stuff. Nobody cares unless you are truly going to be shooting international events.