Savage MK II rifles for programs

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

shootingdad10

Savage MK II rifles for programs

Post by shootingdad10 »

Hi, I am a coach for a program here in Washington and looking into picking up some of the Savage MKII FVTs as a starter rifle. Any clubs, boy scouts or 4h out there using them? Trying to get a sense of how popular they are with other coaches. I know we can get them through a few programs like CMP. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
jhmartin

Re: Savage MK II rifles for programs

Post by jhmartin »

Our 4-H program uses these on our Novices & Juniors (10-13 year olds)

They are good for small beginners and shoot pretty well. I don't believe they will get anyone into the JOs, but they are fine for our smaller transitioning youngsters coming out of our air rifle program.
The short nature of these guns means you have to be vigilant on the line and push muzzle control (as a minimum) pretty hard. But as I said we (our 4-H club) don't allow our kids to transition out of 3-P air until we are pretty darned confident of their safety skills.

We have one county leader that built some more custom 3-P stocks for these, but don't know if that ever took off. If you are interested, he may jump in here or PM me and I'll get you in touch with him.

We have a set of Izmash CM2 Cadets that are really our go-to rifles for our intermediates, and they do shoot well enough to have gotten several kids invites to the JOs.
Unfortunately, under Mr. Obamas administration no one could import these anymore, and I don't know if anyone has been able to since, but if you can find some of the Cadet versions (lightweight barrels/smaller stocks) for sale, pick them up. We've added extension tubes, and normal sized rails and have been very pleased with them.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Our club uses them for all the beginning shooters and they seem to be reasonably good.

marky-d
spektr

Post by spektr »

Greetings....
I shoot the FVT in NRA Light Rifle.
Outstanding gun that needs 2 things, 1desperately.
A wooden stock and the rifle basix drop in trigger
The accutrigger is passable, but the plastic stock bends under sling loads and is an abomination that fits small people
With the RB trigger it is a tack driver with a very crisp clean trigger break. Its an absolute drop in idiot proof only a screwdriver needed mod.
The sights are side mounted and difficult to use if you change distances but if you shoot 50 foot or 25 yards constantly there fine enough. I am going to change mine to something better such as the AirForce airgun sights just be able to space them up for a more upright head position.
By the time you get it set up in a wood stock with the trigger its $700.....

for the money I have in it, Im very happy.
Ultimately it depends on your expectation.
If your kids will shoot them hard for scores, it will be outclassed by Wooden Anschutz's.
If your kids are needing a basic training gun its a good choice.
Truthfully, unless a firearm is an absolute necessity, look hard at Crosman Challengers.
They are sub 600 with sights from Champions Choice and is THE gun to beat in sporter class CMP contests...... Hope this helps.
shootingdad10

Post by shootingdad10 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The lack of stock adjustments and the stock itself do seem like a limitation. We are a 4h club, that is active in the Winchester/NRA program. We do some match shooting but not at the JO level. It's good to know other clubs are using them. Our club does have some older Anschutz 64's and a mix of other rifles that are used as well. I am curious what people have done to try and make them a little more 3p or 4p friendly.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Mine currently ives in a Boyds ATone stock. It fits me after a bit of tinkering and buying the target grips.....
trlrider

Post by trlrider »

Our club owns 4 Savage FVT's in factory trim and AccuTriggers. I personally own 3, 1 completely stock, one in a At-One that is my smallbore F-class and Silhouette Rifle, and a 3rd that resides in a custom made thumbhole used for NRL22 and other activities.

They are great rifles that will take allot of abuse, and from beginners to more advanced shooters do very well. My At-One stocked rifle with Norma Tac-22 shoots 1.0" - 1.5" groups @ 100yards with my shaky hand. My son which is starting 9th grade and starting his 7th year in 4-H Shooting Sports at 100 yards can keep the groups under 1.0 inch from a bipod and bag.

The Club rifles with our 2nd and 3rd year NRA 3-Position shooters are in the 475 - 525 ranges with the FVT's in factory trim and sights.

Oh, they do have a Youth model also, with a shorter stock.

We really enjoy them. Savage also has a great program for Youth organizations to purchase direct from the factory with a substantial discount, and they pay the shipping to your FFL. That said, things may change soon due to the change of ownership and management at Savage as far as the discounts. We have not not sent in our purchase request yet this year.

Louis
Jreifsch

Post by Jreifsch »

The county 4h program I lead has the long standing policy of not owning club rifles but a vast majority of kids in my county and states 4h shooting sports program use fvt's for our 4 position sporter class (8.5lb limit no coat only glove and sling allowed) and also for our 3p international class. They shoot quite well for the money as for my kids for 4p sporter they use modified rebarreled and wood stocked savage mkii rifles with old anschutz 6723 sights for my left handed son and redfield olympic sights for my oldest daughter.

Like I said if you use an fvt as is its pretty good for the money but if you want a different stock and different sights then just get savage mkii fv and put them in the stock of choice with the sights of choice. Or do what I do and find dirt cheap mkii f's when savage is running a rebate and do what I said about the mkii fv as well as rebarrel them ;) (I pick up good take off barrels turn the tennon chamber and glue them in the receiver myself so it makes rebarreling worth the effort since its cheap)