Small Bore Sights

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sjstp

Small Bore Sights

Post by sjstp »

I am inexperienced with small bore competition and do not have any clubs or coaches in my area. I am close to buying an Anschutz 1903 position match rifle new, or a 1907 used. If I get a new one I need to buy sights and my attempt to shop for them online has been bewildering.

I see a couple of versions on ANA, and many others at Champion Choice, and Champion Shooters Supply and Creedmore but there is very little description given. It seems that one normally knows about these items before choosing them. Unfortunately, I do not know anything about them.
I can figure out what a rear sight and a front sight are, but am unclear about the iris and aperture inserts, how all of it goes together, and most of all the meaningful differences between various brands and price levels.

I am an old guy and an experienced shooter but I have not used peep sights since my days with the M1, M14 and M16 in the Army. I assume they are like scopes in that you get what you pay for, but I don't even know how to start to choose between them.

I have searched without success to find a book or article that contains the info I need. Is there some source someone can point me to so I can do some reading and make an informed success?
beye

small bore sights

Post by beye »

Might I suggest buying the 1907 used rifle with sights. Much better than the 1903, which has the lighter 64 action. The sights with it will undoubtedly will be sufficient to get you started and fellow competitors can educate you on newer sights. If you want to buy new Anschutz sights and want the best, simply buy the most expensive sights Anschutz makes - The Precise rear sight with Adj. iris (w/5 color, Polarization + 1.5 magnification [for old eyes] and a Duo front iris aperature sight, of which there are several styles to choose from, both 18 and 22 mm. But be prepared, a set like these will set you back $1100 last prices I have, and there are a few other doodads you could add on like rubber eyecup, and sight riser blocks. Should you decide to go this route and not having an advisor nearby, I would buy from either Champions Choice or Champion Shooters Supply and ask their advice on choices. Both have management with strong smallbore experience.
Tim S

Re: Small Bore Sights

Post by Tim S »

The easiest option is a set (rearsight and foresight) from Anschutz. There is the 6834 and the 7020; the difference is in the rearsight, the 6834 has the cheaper 6805, and the 7020 has the more expensive 7002. Both adjust 8n the same way. Both sets come with the same foresight.

If you were feeling adventurous, the Gehmann 590 rearsight is durable, and a little cheaper than the Anschutz 6805.

An iris, usually means a replacement variable aperture rearsight eyepiece. An iris allows you to control the brightness of your sight picture to compensate for ambient light. An iris is often combined with coloured and/or polarised filters. Almost all German made rearsights have a standard size eyepiece. I've had my Gehmann iris on Steyr, Anschutz, Centra and Gehmann rearsights. Centra are the other common make, and are very good.

Foresight inserts (elements to Brits) are what you aim with. It's a metal, Perspex, or glass insert with a hole in the middle. The size of the hole can affect your sight picture, and is personal (within certain broad limits). General advice is an aperture that contains the bull, allowing for wobble in your hold. For Prone 3.6-4.0 is a sensible start for a 1903 or 1907 on the 50m ISSF target. The choice of material is more personal. If you can get to matches, someone will have a few spare inserts to loan if you want to try a different size.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue May 21, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sjstp

Re: Small Bore Sights

Post by sjstp »

Thank you very much guys. Those replies are very helpful. Although still ignorant, I feel armed with enough information to go window shopping again. I will not buy yet but at least I will have some understanding of what I am reading in the product descriptions.