UPS STORES - Disappointing - NOT SHOOTING FRIENDLY

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jhmartin

UPS STORES - Disappointing - NOT SHOOTING FRIENDLY

Post by jhmartin »

Funny that USA Shooting just posted the Gallagher Affinity companies which features ups stores.

Just went to my local UPS store this aftrnoon to ship some ammo to my daughter for Spring Trials.
"My UPS Store"s no longr accept ammo, or anything to do with guns.
I had the gal show me the company instructions which prohibits those franchisees from accepting that type fd product to ship.

Been shipping at this store for over 20 years.
Now it's a 60 mile trip to go to town to ship at the dock facility.
WingsFan

Re: UPS STORES - Disappointing - NOT SHOOTING FRIENDLY

Post by WingsFan »

It's been that way for years. You have to ship guns and ammo from hubs only which stinks because they are usually only around major airports.
Erud

Post by Erud »

You can always create your label on the UPS website, and then schedule for a driver to pick it from your house. It costs a little extra (like $12 when I use it), but it's worth it to me just for the reduced hassle.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

My understanding is that they will SHIP (even from stores), but they will not PACK anything firearm-related.
In other words, you can't take a box of shells in and ask them to put them in a box and ship it, but if you box it up and drop it off, they will ship.

I could be wrong, as I have not personally done it, but that is what I've read.

marky-d
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

I ran into the same thing last year shipping an air rifle to the OTC. Local store wanted nothing to do with shipping a gun case. Flat out refused. And the guys at the hub weren't all that thrilled to know there was an air rifle in the locked pelican case I was shipping out there.

Sending back from OTC was a breeze.
Gort

Post by Gort »

That's why I switched to Fedex years ago.
Gort
rbs

Post by rbs »

I've never had any problems using UPS over many years of shipping guns and ammo
dadmolder

Post by dadmolder »

The UPS Store closest to me will not accept firearms or ammo for shipment.
When I pressed the issue, I was told "This really isn't UPS - this is Mailboxes & More"
I said sign says UPS, he just shrugs & walks away.

If I really need to ship, I find a FedEx drop box.
ProdigalSon

Post by ProdigalSon »

UPS stores are independent businesses and can do their own thing. Looks for UPS Customer Service Centers. They’re regional distribution depots and are owned directly by UPS. I’ve shipped rifles and ammo from them no problem.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

ProdigalSon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:44 am UPS stores are independent businesses and can do their own thing.
To a degree... as I've said, I've used this store since before I started coaching 17 years ago.
They showed me the document that noted to this franchise (actually all in the US) that they were not permitted to take those items and especially if it has the required ORM-D sticker on it.
This is recent as I had to ship 2 cases back in Aug and had no trouble at the location then.
This notice is fairly new.
I looked it up on the UPS site and sure enough, only commercial pickups and the regional centers can take this type of item (now).

I took it to the regional center in Albuquerque and had no issue ...

Back in Aug I had an issue as they would not take the NATO declaration on the box .... I had to go print out US ORM-B Small Arms stickers and plaster those over the NATO ammo designators. Things are getting interesting here in New Mexico.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

I had this same issue recently. The laws of your state may impact whether you can just pack it and drop it off at a UPS store. In Texas, the law mandates that you have to inform the carrier that the package contains a firearm, AND there can be no marking on the package indicating that it contains a firearm. And firearms cannot be shipped from UPS stores. Pickup or customer service center drop off only. So if I just package it up and drop it off at a UPS store without telling them the package contains a firearm, I’m breaking the law. I haven’t tried shipping ammo, so the same issue may not exist. For airguns, the state of Texas does not consider those to be firearms, and I have shipped one from a UPS store without issue, informing the clerk, showing them the airpistol, and letting them package it up. I made sure it went ground only.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

UPS stores= independent contractors. They decide the rules.

UPS hubs= UPS decides the rules. They will require an FFL for the receiver, to ship firearms.

Air pistols in the US= Go to your local post office, declare the item, and follow the rules as set forth. Much less expensive than UPS in most circumstances.

Kind regards,
m1963

(BTW- the reason that the package cannot indicate a firearm is due to the prevalance of theft involving the UPS employees. Any LE officer in the US can verify this fact.)
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

How do they know what you are shipping?
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Firearms are declared when received. An unscrupulous person in receiving can then pass on the information to others,..

I always pay extra, for the insurance.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

m1963 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:04 pm UPS stores= independent contractors. They decide the rules.
Unfortunately this is incorrect. UPS (the company) has sent notice out and have posted on their website the rules regarding firearms and ammo.
You may not ship from a UPS store any firearm, part of firearm, or ammo.

Sure you cannot declare, but if it's lost and you try to recover .... their rules are clear. Too bad, so sad
Shipped 2 bricks of ammo ... at $150per brick, damn straight I'm gonna declare, and go to ABQ. What choice did I have? Send my daughter off to a selection match w/o the best ammo for her gun?

Shipping (at the distribution centers) w/o declaring is a violation of the law. With the way things are going in NM, I sure don't need the FEDs or local LE banging w/ no knock warrants at my door.

It's a pain in the ass to go up to ABQ so ship even a rear sight, ammo or another gun part, but we have the govt we (the sheeple) have voted for.

Now for the airguns ... not firearms ... and I have not tried to ship one anywhere recently, but I always told them it was a pellet gun and there were no issues .... but again that was at a local store. Probably another trip to ABQ.

Now it seems none of this applies if you are a scheduled pickup commercial business (aren't the local stores???) and the drivers comes and picks the stuff up. I guess UPS wants to see your smiling face & take a photo maybe?? OK ... I'm paranoid
======================================================================================================================
Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.

See their website at:
https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/p ... earms.page
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Yes, UPS did send rules out regarding firearms to UPS stores. That is correct.

UPS stores are also independent contractors, who make their own rules, however.

I know of two that refuse to accept pellet guns. I have also had one state that they would open the box, of a pellet pistol, if I shipped through them to see what was in it. I went to the post office.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

m1963 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:04 pm UPS stores= independent contractors. They decide the rules.

UPS hubs= UPS decides the rules. They will require an FFL for the receiver, to ship firearms.

Air pistols in the US= Go to your local post office, declare the item, and follow the rules as set forth. Much less expensive than UPS in most circumstances.

Kind regards,
m1963

(BTW- the reason that the package cannot indicate a firearm is due to the prevalance of theft involving the UPS employees. Any LE officer in the US can verify this fact.)
Yep. Same with long air/firearms too. Just have to use the FFL thing when it's a firearm.