Sub-junior air rifle program

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

cuslog

Sub-junior air rifle program

Post by cuslog »

So, I've volunteered to help with a sub-junior air rifle program (9 - 14 year olds). We're starting from scratch.
What air rifles do you guys like (think cheap and beginner - as in first ever shooting experience).
Need to keep rated velocity under 500 FPS (definition of firearm under Canadian law is anything over 500 FPS)
Club has a room 12M long we can use, start them out with a safety intro, liability waiver, parent/ guardian must be with them etc.
Need to establish a budget (probably minimal) for 6 - 10 air rifles, backstops, targets, lighting etc.
shawn706

Re: Sub-junior air rifle program

Post by shawn706 »

Have you considered 5m BB?
cuslog

Post by cuslog »

Hadn't considered that, I'll mention it to the others, see what they think.
Thanks.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

I think the Daisy 853 is the supposed to be the best value/accuracy for the money. The biggest downside I see for the ages you're talking about is cocking effort -- the younger kids will have difficulty. From that standpoint, CO2 or PCP might be better choices, although you'll need to invest in filling equipment.

Used 853s can be bought from the CMP for a little more than $100, but if you're in Canada, that may not be workable.

marky-d
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Contact your local branches of the army/air/sea cadets.

They run a marksmanship program, and either the local groups can point you in the direction of equipment, or you'll find that you have these groups who will be interested in using you facilities and services for their program.

http://www.cadets.ca/en/what-cadets-do/ ... nship.page

I think the Daisy 853 is what they use. The cadet program can also be a source of good standardised targets (as well as the SFC/FTC).

Searched a little and found that not only do they use the 853, the 853C was designed specifically for them.
The 853C seems to have been superceeded by the 953C.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
cuslog

Post by cuslog »

Thanks for the replies.
Will be in contact with a fellow that runs the Cadet program in a town a few miles from here for advice.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Note that if you go the 853 route, the trigger can be improved dramatically with some 'minor' modification. It cannot be adjusted very light (which is safer for the younger kids anyway), but you can remove most of the loooooong, squishy travel. You can find the instructions online (I think the CMP even published some), but it can be done by adding an adjustment screw to the trigger mech, or replacing with the 888 trigger guard, if I remember correctly.

marky-d
Barry

Post by Barry »

I would start the younger ones on Daisy AVANTI Champion Model 499 BB guns.
I wouldn't move them up to air rifles until they are 12 or 13, but that depends upon how they can handle the air rifles. The 12 year olds that have tried Sporter Air in my club have given up quickly, but that might have been different if they had started out with 3-P BB gun.