11mm Dovetail to Picatinny Adaptor

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

smallborebuyer

11mm Dovetail to Picatinny Adaptor

Post by smallborebuyer »

Long-time lurker, first time poster...

I am ordering a Walter KK500 and need to adapt it to QR Picatinny scope mount, so I need a stable, well-made solution.

I see various parts on ebay that look okay, though the very flat ones don't look so well designed or made, the tapping left bulges on the top of one of them, for example.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.
ProdigalSon

Re: 11mm Dovetail to Picatinny Adaptor

Post by ProdigalSon »

First step in looking for shooting gear for our style of shooting, if it's not in the classifieds, is Champion's Choice. They have just about everything, including 1-piece 11mm dovetail scope mounts (http://champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx? ... &item=7237) and two styles of 11mm-to-Weaver rails, one of which is elevation-adjustable (http://champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx? ... tem=SM7015) (http://champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx? ... tem=SM7021)
smallborebuyer

Post by smallborebuyer »

Thank you. The Champion’s Choice pieces are the same Chinese items available on ebay. Do you have experience with them?

I am hoping to get insights into the relative merits of some of the available options.
ProdigalSon

Post by ProdigalSon »

Do I use them? No. I prefer iron sights, so no need. With that said, it's a block of metal with grooves in it. There's not a lot of "merit" to be discussed (although I'm unsure how the elevation adjustment works on the one), as long as the rail is milled within the specifications for the particular rail size. Most adapters are going to be made more or less the same way. If you're concerned that it's an import, though, you could try a DIP rail (https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.as ... 5&CAT=3600 or https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.as ... 9&CAT=3599). They don't make them specifically for KK500, but one of these should fit. You'd need to use set screws for those, however, which could mar your beautiful rifle's action.

Recall that your KK500 is around 6 kg. Assuming you're using the normal ammo for the gun (i.e. standard velocity lead 40gr), the recoil velocity is a bone-crushing 0.13 m/s and the recoil energy a mind-numbing 0.05 J. Iron-sight shooters just clamp the sights right onto the 11mm rail, and some even remove them when they're done for storage. It doesn't take much to hold on to that rail under those recoil conditions, so just about anything will work well as long as it fits and the metal isn't so weak that a snug fit damages the threads (which is unlikely unless they're using a 1000 series aluminum or you overtorque) - it's not a situation where rugged, heavy-duty mounts like you'd see in PRS are really needed.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

I too searched for scope mounting solutions when beginning.

I abandoned the idea of a picatinny rail, or quick release rails in general.

Many of us favor the use of the Anschutz Sight Rail, or 'ASR', coupled with a set of dedicated 11mm rings, often advertised as 'CZ' rings.

The end result is the same as a QR Picatinny rail set up, its just easier to source the correct parts for the same result: The scope and rings stay mounted to the ASR, you simply slide the ASR off of the 11mm rail on the rifle when you're finished shooting. The ASR has the added benefit of being long enough to allow you to establish the eye relief where you like it, simply by sliding the rings forwards or backwards on the rail.

I shoot both irons and scope, on a FWB 2700, the ASR fit my rifle with no modification at all.
smallborebuyer

Post by smallborebuyer »

ProdigalSon wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 am Do I use them? No. I prefer iron sights, so no need. With that said, it's a block of metal with grooves in it. There's not a lot of "merit" to be discussed (although I'm unsure how the elevation adjustment works on the one), as long as the rail is milled within the specifications for the particular rail size. Most adapters are going to be made more or less the same way. If you're concerned that it's an import, though, you could try a DIP rail (https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.as ... 5&CAT=3600 or https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.as ... 9&CAT=3599). They don't make them specifically for KK500, but one of these should fit. You'd need to use set screws for those, however, which could mar your beautiful rifle's action.
By "merit" I meant things like how well designed the rail attachment system is, is the machining quality good, etc. I don't care where it's made, but ebay has some horror shows that happen to be made in China. I have gotten good value on Chinese made photo attachment accessories, it's a matter of finding the well made version of a decent design.

Here are some examples.
Pic1.PNG
Pic1.PNG (28.27 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Pic2.PNG
Pic2.PNG (53.77 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Pic4.PNG
Pic4.PNG (38.8 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
ProdigalSon wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 am Recall that your KK500 is around 6 kg. Assuming you're using the normal ammo for the gun (i.e. standard velocity lead 40gr), the recoil velocity is a bone-crushing 0.13 m/s and the recoil energy a mind-numbing 0.05 J. Iron-sight shooters just clamp the sights right onto the 11mm rail, and some even remove them when they're done for storage. It doesn't take much to hold on to that rail under those recoil conditions, so just about anything will work well as long as it fits and the metal isn't so weak that a snug fit damages the threads (which is unlikely unless they're using a 1000 series aluminum or you overtorque) - it's not a situation where rugged, heavy-duty mounts like you'd see in PRS are really needed.
The Walther barreled action will be put in a custom stock, not sure what the final weight will be. Periodically, the scope will be moved over to a 6mmBR rifle, until I can justify another scope, which sets some additional constraints.

I won't switch often, so I am open to a system that isn't QR.

If I go the non-QR route, maybe I should just go with rings?
smallborebuyer

Post by smallborebuyer »

Thanks, all.

I ended up buying a second scope, so I am now looking at rings.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Smallborebuyer: I agree with Prodigal son there is no advantage to a picatinney rail adapter for this application. Buy a set of dedicated rings and it will result in a much simpler and reliable solution.

Now for a sales pitch- I have a machine shop business and have started to make scope rings for 11mm dovetails. I hope to have rings for 3/8" dovetail available also shortly. Have a look at my ebay listing (link below). If you buy a set and don't like them then you can return them. I think you won't find any better though. I do have to say I have not yet measured a Walther dovetail (yet- but will soon) so if it is not the same as Anschutz they may not fit. These are not stretch-em or squash-em one size fits none rings. Made to fit an 11mm dovetail. I have tested so far on Anschutz and CZ rifles and gotten some very good feedback. So far I have .5, .7, and 1.5" heights and more planned. Also I have some with single thumb screw clamps planed as well.

Have a look:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings-fo ... 7Odgi4-Z-Q
Voskhod02

Post by Voskhod02 »

Okay, quick question: is there an adaptor that works the other way around? (Picatinny to 11mm dovetail)
Because I've bought at an auction a bunch of Soviet era reflex sights and would like to mount them on some of my guns, but they don't have 11mm rails.
Cola

Post by Cola »

Sportsmatch brand makes them and sold at Airguns of Arizona. Picatinny Weaver to 11mm.

Cola
rbs

Post by rbs »

private message sent