Feinwerkbau 103 pellet preference?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Hunterdude

Feinwerkbau 103 pellet preference?

Post by Hunterdude »

Hello, I feel very fortunate to have found a Mint Feinwerkbau 103 with beautiful dark walnut grips!
The pistol is enroute to me And I realized I have no premium pellets to shoot when it arrives. I know a Single Stroke Pnumatic is a different animal than air guns I have owned in the past, if someone knows these guns and could give me some suggestions I can get the pellets on order and hopefully they get here same time as pistol...it will be cruel and unusual to not be able to shoot it. So pellets recommended? I don't mind spending to get the good stuff but Prefure tins of 500, I don't think I am ready for the individual package in foam ones just yet. I will try to attach a picture of some eye candy, I have wanted this pistol for 20 years!!
IMG_1052.jpg
Last edited by Hunterdude on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Re: Feinwerkbau 103 pellet preference?

Post by Rover »

There is only ONE pellet worthy of the grandiose FWB 103!

You should already know what it is, but if through some vast fault in the cosmic void, you don't.....well then anyone on here can tell you what it is and where to get them in 500 pack tins most cheaply.
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

Ohh... Don't tease me!!.....If there can be only one?....well then I Must have it!!...Please bestoweth thine wisdom upon-eth me?...forth-with and double-time pronto n right quick..... pretty please?
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

PS: I have been absent from 10 meter match air pistol for 20 years, this aquasition has me roaring back to them but my 20 year old knowlage base is a bit er.....rusty?
jerber

Post by jerber »

I also got myself a 103!really smooth!
I use RWS Meisterkugeln
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I believe Rover is referring to RWS Basics. Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service has them in 500 pellet tins.

I would recommend 7.0 grain pellets, whatever you choose.
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

Thanks...I saw RWS in all different weights, back in the day we shot lighter pellets in pistols....a bit more heavy in rifles. Is there some science to the 7 grain weight? Ideal pellet stability at 103 velocity? Just trying to get caught up in modern conventional pellet wisdom.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Hunterdude wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 pmI have wanted this pistol for 20 years!
That's long awaited, you really have patience! I'd also vouch for the RWS Basics, they shoot very well in my 103. You can also try a tin of H&N Excite Econ pellets to see if your pistol likes them.
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

Since we seem to have a gathering of 103 owners here....can anyone tell me if there is any mechanical difference from the early (blue) models like mine and the later black/ silver models? I had my heart set on black/silver, but this one to nice to let it get away. -Ben
Rover

Post by Rover »

You can't see it while shooting, soooo.....
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

That's true Rover... I'm just trying to educate myself on my shiny new toy.
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

The truth is...finding one of these for sale is like winning the lottery.....if you don't open your wallet in 2 milliseconds the 103 will be gone!.... Now that the dust has settled and smoke cleared I am trying to figure out what happened....lol
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

No internal mechanical difference, only the external cocking lever and the back sight varies from the 100-103 series. The black and silver models are the 100 series and are more common, the 103 is the last version of FWB’s ssp air pistols and are highly sought after... I wouldn’t say if you got the money to buy one makes the difference, it’s the early bird that catches the worm...
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's true; the early worm gets the bird!

Now that everyone has wet themselves over the 103 (nice gun) they will be wanting what only Rwilson and myself clutch tightly to our bosom...the Walther LPM1. Plenty of parts/grips available, Pilk can fix them, low maintenance, and they are built like a tank, and they like RWS Basic pellets.
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

So, I found international shooters service, and I found RWS Diablo Basic pellets for a good price... But no way to ad to a cart or calculate shipping?? Is this a mom n pop shop? What payment do they accept? Shipping reasonable? Are pellets well packaged? I have had pellets ship to me that the skirts where mangled, if the package received rough handling soft lead will suffer.
PS: Feinwerkbau 103 sure are purdy!! To my eyes the best looking match gun....beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Yes, it is a mom & pop shop. He doesn't do on-line ordering, and email response can be spotty. Give Neal a phone call.

He packs things very carefully. When I've ordered cases of .22, he doesn't just ship them as is. He puts them in a bigger box with padding. Same with pellets.
Rover

Post by Rover »

What Gwhite said! It would also be smart to order targets from him at the same time, for both padding and savings on postage.

We've had a cordial relationship for years and I bought my last order of Basics from him (500 tin). He also has lots of various parts and grips, if you need something.

BTW I simply can't imagine why people are going nuts and paying top dollar for SSPs, when there are so many lovely PCPs out there. (snicker)
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

I can tell you some reasons PCP don't trip MY trigger....first you need $500 worth of charging equipment....oh, that's to heavy to transport?... Make it $900 for carbon fiber gear...then in 10 years everything is expired so another $900... Oh wait....my 10 year old match pistol is not current so no support for parts....then my electric trigger burned out! And the fussy Reg needs rebuild. Suddenly your $2500 match pistol that you have $5000 in is a boat anchor....oh wait...it IS pretty light...so not even suitable boat anchor!
Ok... I'm off my soap box now😇
spektr

Post by spektr »

In all seriousness. All 3 of my SSP guns shot best with the largest diameter pellets. I suspect that the slightly tighter presumed fit helped......
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

I have heard the tighter fit pellets can sometimes give a increase in velocity as well....the idea is the pellet sticks in the bore for a few micro seconds giving time for the air valve to fully open and the air to rush up to the back of the pellet and then build to full pressure before the pellet pops free and excellerate down the bore...vs a loose pellet starts it's journey when the very first low pressure air reaches the back of the pellet...the pellet Is perhaps near the muzzle by the time the air flow comes up to Full pressure and therefore the pellet did not receive the benefit of full power air the entire length of bore....this of course all theory but many airguns seem to benefit from oversize pellets.