Federal .22 automatch

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Xman

Federal .22 automatch

Post by Xman »

I had a lot of trouble with CCI SV in my Buckmark during my last (and first match) FTF (no cocking), and/or failure to strip out the next round from magazine.Am looking at Federal AutoMatch.

Any opinions in this forum about AutoMatch?

My line neighbor suggested that the pistol was "short stroking" that I burn through 500 rounds of a HV load to "break" the pistol in more. It was not new when I bought it but is in excellent condition.

Trouble occurred with all 4 magazine.

Thanks
aprilian

Re: Federal .22 automatch

Post by aprilian »

Lots of great info on the Buckmarks over at rimfire central. Mine digests anything SV, have you had it apart to check a few things? One of the somewhat-common ailments is that the pre 2000 buffers can disintegrate and get stuck in the works, robbing power from the recoil action. Another is a bent recoil rod when reassembled roughly.

If this is the first time you have shot it, it appears someone sold it knowing it was having some issues. Again, a strip and clean is the best way to rule out the mechanicals before deciding to up the ammo energy level.
ProdigalSon

Post by ProdigalSon »

During the Great Ammo Drought a couple years back I was able to get my hands on some. It generally works well in my MKIII, but a few caveats:
1) recoil is stiff and it’s noisy - can be distracting during a match
2) expect it to gum up your action faster than CCI
3) accuracy is marginal, but how important that is depends on whether you’re skilled enough to outshoot the ammo (I consistently shot larger, less evenly distributed groups with it than with CCI or even Aguila)
4) one batch had 3 split cases in one box. QC was not the best

In summary, don’t waste your time. If you want something HV to see if it helps with reliability, look elsewhere. CCI minimag HVs are pretty reliable in my experience, as is Aguila, and neither are too expensive.

If the problem is consistent though, I’d say it’s just as likely that it’s a problem with the gun, as Aprilian describes. Worth having a smith look at it regardless if you’re going to use it in matches - bring him/her the gun and a smattering of the problem ammo.
218bee

Post by 218bee »

I also had a lot of trouble with CCI SV in a like new, Hamden Victor with a spotless chamber. Turns out its a CCI quality control issue. About 1/3 to 1/2 the rounds randomly chosen would "plunk" right in and out of the chamber, effortlessly .. The others would bind up half way down and result in a jam, every magazine. Couldn't get through a single 10 round mag without jamming. Switched ammo and its runs like a Swiss watch now. Ammo must pass this plunk test to function the pistol.
For the High Standard target pistols, I think the Fed Auto Match is a bit too hot, but I run it all day in my S&W41.

Try the plunk test with your CCI and get back to us. Bet its that.

Here's a pic of the pistol. Its as new, and chamber is %100 clean and free of any dry fire dings.

The round thats not seated is one of the out of spec CCI SV rounds and has to pushed in hard, by thumb pressure. This immediately jams the gun.. Whereas the other round just plunks right in, then drops out freely as it should.
%100 quality control issue here.
Attachments
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

218bee wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:53 pmTurns out its a CCI quality control issue. About 1/3 to 1/2 the rounds randomly chosen would "plunk" right in and out of the chamber, effortlessly .. The others would bind up half way down and result in a jam, every magazine.
My FAS jams up with CCI SV. FTF with bolt stopped against the top cartridge in the magazine having a bit shaved off the bullet, banana shaped cartridge squashed by the bolt, etc.

Magazine is difficult to load with CCI SV. I figured it has to do with OAL. CCI Subsonic HP however always seems to cycle flawlessly. The dimpled end makes the cartridge just that little bit shorter. However the crappy CCI quality control is VERY evident when you look at the ends. Some have deep well defined dimples, others look like normal LRN.

Out of curiosity I'll try the drop test into the chamber with the boxes of CCI SV I have. I'll try the SS HP as well.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607