Hammerli AR20 Prone Issues

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Goober1187

Hammerli AR20 Prone Issues

Post by Goober1187 »

Hello all!

I coach a high school rifle team and currently have a member shooting a Hammerli AR20. The issue that we are having is when in the prone position the hand stop/sling swivel has to be so far back to get a correct head position that the shooters trigger hand is touching the sling and the grip is touching the sling arm. We tried adjusting the hand stop out farther which eliminated the trigger hand touching the sling but made the grip hit harder on the sling arm. So the the fix to the either problem makes the other problem worse.

Is it legal to modify the height of the stock/rail to get the sling hand and arm lower? Or would something else work? I'm stumped on this one and would appreciate any advice you could give!

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

-Goober-
PCU

Re: Hammerli AR20 Prone Issues

Post by PCU »

Best to first fully evaluate the position and make any needed changes. Good article "An Improved Method for Teaching Prone" Dec 2007 at: http://thecmp.org/communications/gary_otm/ .

If after position is good the problem still exists you can modify the rifle as long as you stay within the rules & within the Specifications/Restrictions of the rules. If using National Standard 3-P Air Rifle Rules then check all of Rule 4. Latest edition at:
http://thecmp.org/air/national-standard ... fle-rules/
jhmartin

Re: Hammerli AR20 Prone Issues

Post by jhmartin »

The AR-20 is a precision rifle so any items such as you are considering just need to conform to the 3PAR precision rules.
Check out the rule 4.4-and the section D for I think what you are asking .... yes, you can add that.