Rink or Nill grips

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gunsmoke77802

Rink or Nill grips

Post by gunsmoke77802 »

Am wondering if there is a need for aftermarket grips on these high end air pistols? I figured they already make them for the factory as oem. Whats the difference that justifies another $200-$300?

thanks
ChipEck

Re: Rink or Nill grips

Post by ChipEck »

The fit. Almost every shooter grinds or adds putty to get a grip that fits them perfect. Some find a particular brand of grip that fits them best and they put that grip on various pistols they shoot. Totally an individual preference.

Chip
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

People who know what they are doing can fine-tune factory grips to an amazing degree. I worked on mine over several years and just gave up, and I found a set of measurements from Rink that work extremely well for my hand and my stance (I find that my stance requires an angled grip -go figure). It was not cheap to get to where I am, though. Trial and error is costly.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I tried several custom grip makers, for me the only ones that work are Rink. Thomas Rink is a high level shooter himself which perhaps is the difference?

For me, it’s medium size, right hand, flat form, normal volume, 7 degree offset. For my 1911 frames, he makes the back strap 2 mm thinner since I experienced issues with the safety.

I have his grips on all my target pistols, well worth the money.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

We tried factory grips. We tried Nill grips. We use Rink grips. Better fit, better grip angle, for us. Each shooter is different. We use Rink grips on the Morini 162EI.
gunsmoke77802

Post by gunsmoke77802 »

So I am wondering about taking the drimmel tool to it and get plenty on clearance. Mixing up some bondo, apply it to the grips and put nitrile gloves on and grip it. Is this how other people do it? And if you wanted some nice looking grips you could send that off and have it duplicated? Thanks
william

Post by william »

Before doing anything read what the late Don Nygord had to say on the subject of grip modification. There are 2 notes on the subject:
http://www.cincinnatirevolverclub.net/nygord.html

Then don't be afraid to have at it. I've attached a pic of the grip on my Pardini SP. It's hard to see what with all the black. The process was careful Dremel work to get the general proportions in line with my hand, then building up with epoxy wood filler - the 2 component stuff you get in a tube that looks like either a Tootsie Roll or dog poo - gripped with moderate pressure. After it cures, check fit, grind some more, build up some more if needed. At this point I like to set it aside until the next day to calm the loony-tunes shooter's brain and to make sure the initial impressions were right. When the fit is good, I apply my proprietary non-slip treatment and seal it all with epoxy appliance paint (black was what I grabbed off the shelf at Home Depot (they love seeing me walk in so they can ask what project I've just messed up).

You can create a better fit than any Euro manufacturer can do at a fraction of the price. But if you insist on spending the money, when I owned a Benelli Kite, its Nill grip was absolutely the best fitting factory grip I ever held. For me, Rink just doesn't work.
Attachments
grip.jpg
gunsmoke77802

Post by gunsmoke77802 »

Yeah I like that better than bondo. Thanks
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

As some other people have mentioned, the grip makers are like shoe makers...certain ones will fit you like a glove, others won't. Nills fit me perfectly, other folks swear by Rink. Or you can just get one of the Toz-35s with a grip blank. :-)