What ammo, available in US, is recommended for Sp22 New?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Tangohammerli

What ammo, available in US, is recommended for Sp22 New?

Post by Tangohammerli »

Just bought a Pardini SP New in.22lr and wanted to know
what has been working reliably for others.. Any ammo deals out there??
PFribley

Re: What ammo, available in US, is recommended for Sp22 New?

Post by PFribley »

Any of the Ely or SK would be a good start.
hurt

Post by hurt »

Mine loves CCI standard best!
dronning

Post by dronning »

hurt wrote:Mine loves CCI standard best!
+1, I've tried quite a few others but CCI Standard Velocity is the best value/performance out there - I buy the paper pack P/N# 0035. Look around you should be able to find some for < $250/case, I picked up 2 cases @$220/case delivered a couple of months ago. Even MidwayUSA has it on a everyday price of $280/case.

SK, Wolf Match & Ely Club grouped about the same as the CCI SV, Ely Match Pistol (black box) at 6X the price of CCI SV grouped a little better but not worth the price IMHO.

- Dave
Pardini 6" BE version.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
neal77

Post by neal77 »

Accuracy wise, my SPBE shoots Lapua Pistol King,OSP,SK standard+, pistol match, pm special,rifle match and Eley target and club about the same. CCI SV shoots almost as good. CCI green tag and pistol match shoot the same as SV at more cost. I haven't had much luck with any RWS, including R50. Shoots the same or worse than CCI SV in my gun. Norma match and Geco shot the worst. Like Dave, I use CCI SV for most of my shooting. Can't beat the price/performance. For the best accuracy,if I shot a match/competition, I would use SK standard+ or Eley target. I just haven't seen a benefit to any higher priced ammo in my gun. Functioning has been great with all except Geco. Some bricks funtioned fine, others not so good. All from the same lot.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

I have done extensive ammo testing with my Pardini and concluded that most European ammo grouped the same at 25 and 50 yards. CCI SV was a touch less accurate (5/16th of an inch at 25 yards vs 1/4 inch).

With that information, I shoot CCI sv exclusively in my firearm. Wolf Match Target and SK rifle match are suitable alternatives.

I did determine that Eley Target was not reliable in colder weather. Works great when temps are warm to hot, but failed to cycle in the fall, winter, and spring.

REgards,
Crankster
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

Okay, thank you those who took the time to chime in.
I picked up a box of 50 and proceeded to shoot 32 out of 40 into the ten/X ring at 25 and 50 yards(20rounds each
distance). The nines I shot were on call(my fault and all shots were one handed, no support). I am sold, a case of CCI SV is on its way to my
door!
Thanks again!!
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Don't they make that stuff in Lewiston, ID? You're buying local, shooting local! :-)
sparky

Post by sparky »

SK Pistol Match has been the most accurate and most reliable in my Pardinis, better than SK Standard or CCI SV.
Wolf Match is good too, but it's usually more expensive than SK Pistol Match.
Eley Target has been accurate, but I've had some problems with it getting hung up in my magazines.
CCI SV hasn't been quite as accurate and I've (rarely) had some problems with it getting hung up in my magazines, but it's dirt cheap.
tray999

Post by tray999 »

I have had some issues with CCI SV being a little long in SP magazines (could have just been a bad lot...) so I shoot Eley Club with no fit issues.
ChristianFromPardini

Post by ChristianFromPardini »

Hello Tangohammerli,

In general the best ammo for the SP22 is any match grade such as Lapua, Eley, Etc. Anything standard velocity will work as well. There are some issues with CCI because some bullets are too long to fit in the magazine.

Best regards,
Christian McAfee
Pardini USA LLC
info@pardiniguns.com
Office: 1.813.983.9839
Fax: 1.813.899.1110
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

tray999 wrote:I have had some issues with CCI SV being a little long in SP magazines (could have just been a bad lot...)
I have found CCI SV to be consistently just a little longer than SK Pistol Match and Standard Plus. Only about .002", but I find it to be true across all lots.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I found that my Pardini preferered the European ammo - Wolf MT, SKJagd, RWS. A fellow shooter also used Aquilla SV with excellent results. Mine would not function reliably with CCI SV - I attributed that to the waxier lube.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"CCI green tag and pistol match shoot the same as SV at more cost."

Many don't realize that Green Tag is just selected lot CCI SV blue box. Or so I've been told by a friend who toured the factory.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

-TT- wrote:
tray999 wrote:I have had some issues with CCI SV being a little long in SP magazines (could have just been a bad lot...)
I have found CCI SV to be consistently just a little longer than SK Pistol Match and Standard Plus. Only about .002", but I find it to be true across all lots.
Found the same with my FAS. CCI SV consistently jams in the magazine.

I've settled on using CCI Subsonic HP. Still a 40gr bullet, slightly slower than SV, and the HP makes them all consistently shorter and they never jam in my magazine. Bonus is it's the cheapest ammo I can find as well.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Mike38

Post by Mike38 »

Rover wrote:
Many don't realize that Green Tag is just selected lot CCI SV blue box. Or so I've been told by a friend who toured the factory.
I was told the same by a High Master here in Illinois that also toured the factory.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

You guys must have some awesome contacts... i stopped by CCI in Lewiston, ID when I was fishing the snake and clear water... they didn't let me in to the factory.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hiya,

I've had several Pardini's over the years, each has had a distinct favorite ammo.

#1: Original SPE, first generation ~1985. Would only accept European, Aguila and Remington "Target" in the blue box. It would shoot SK and Aguila subsonic with great reliability in all temps above freezing. American ammo brands CCI, Federal, Win were all too long.

#2: SP from Don Nygord, ~1991, Same as #1 except that it would only shoot standard velocity, subsonic was not reliable in temps below 70 degrees F.

#3: SP from Don, ~1996 first of the weighted shroud type, This would accept Federal and CCI however, CCI was only reliable in slowfire, timed and rapid had failures to feed of the 2ed or 3rd round because the nose catching on the mag. Same as #2 for subsonic ammo.

#4: SP Electronic, from Larry's, ~2004. Unreliable no matter what because of the trigger (doubled/tripled), maybe shot 200 rounds through it before I gave up, let it sit in the safe and went back to my Walther for 6 years. (The GSP will shoot any ammo that goes bang, you don't even have to clean the gun much, it's the "AK" of 22 pistols for reliability)

#5: SP New from Larry's, ~2010. Will pretty much shoot all standard velocity, CCI included. CCI SV runs well, as does Wolf/SK, Eley (non-EPS) and Aguila SE standard velocity. Will shoot Aguila subsonic on warm days but fails to cycle fully with 100% reliability once it's below 70 degrees F, below 60, forget about subsonic altogether. (haven't tried SK subsonic but since that even softer than the Aguila, I doubt it would run at all) Tends to like to have the ammo warmed in your pocket for the winter leagues.

Hope that helps,
Tom
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

My SP-22 had a difficult time with CCI SV but performance wad flawless with the Wolf Match Target I have never ued it but I met a shooter who swears by Aguilla SV.
xeye

Post by xeye »

ChristianFromPardini wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 am Hello Tangohammerli,

In general the best ammo for the SP22 is any match grade such as Lapua, Eley, Etc. Anything standard velocity will work as well. There are some issues with CCI because some bullets are too long to fit in the magazine.

Best regards,
Christian McAfee
Pardini USA LLC
info@pardiniguns.com
Office: 1.813.983.9839
Fax: 1.813.899.1110

Chris,
Do you have any idea why my SP New 22 wont reliably function SK or Wolf? It is 99.99% reliable with CCI plastic box Blue tag. I took it to a competition machinist/gunsmith who even swapped barrels and parts among 3 other known good SP's and he couldn't make it function reliably on that ammo.