Problem with 208s

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jeff10x

Problem with 208s

Post by jeff10x »

I have had a problem development with my 208s where it has been trapping brass and ejecting emptis out of the left side of the gun. It started with 2 of my mags and has progressed to most of them. I ran them in my 215 and an older 208s and the worked without a problem. It also has been misfiring on occasion. I changed the firing pin which didn't help. I loaded 2 rounds and worked them through the gun, the last round came off the extractor before it contacted the ejector. When I tried this in the other guns there was no such problem. Any suggestions where to start?
David M

Re: Problem with 208s

Post by David M »

Start with the extractor and extractor spring.
See if the claw is worn or the spring is weak.
Check that it is clean , free of burrs and free to move.
If in doubt replace both.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Sure sounds like an extractor issue. FTE, stovepipe, random eject direction, falling off the hook when manually cycling... you really want to see the case held tight all the way until it hits the ejector.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Sounds like a magazine problem to me. Borrow someone's good working magazine and try it in your gun.
Mark_2018

Post by Mark_2018 »

Since the mags works fine in other guns that isnt the problem, extractor could be the case part 1202150 or 1201270(that part decides were the emptis goes to).
and take a good look at the pin that holds the extractor, on mine it sometines comes out a little bit and hits the inside of the bracket for the rear sight 1203011
Bob Fleming

Post by Bob Fleming »

When the 208S is ejecting correctly the extractor holds on to the spent brass long enough for the ejector to kick it out at the face of the competitor to your right. If the magazine is sitting a little high the feed lip of the mag will knock the brass off of the extractor and your brass will bounce around more or less randomly. Are you using a different mag? There is a little tab on the back bottom of the mag at the mag base. It engages the mag latch. This little tab determines how high the mag sits. Has the mag catch been changed in any way? That would cause all mags to malfunction. Mine did not malfunction right away but took a good while, like yours before things got weird. I numbered all my mags so I could figure out which ones were the troublemakers. The failures were rare but no one should tolerate an alibi caused by a top of the line pistol. I also cut the back off my scope mount off to prevent the brass bouncing back and getting trapped so easily.
I used a die makers file one stroke at a time to shorten that tab ever so slightly until it was reliably displaying the very rude habit these pistols seem to have been designed to do: Throw every piece brass in your friends face. Yes My 208S has been put up for sale on gunbroker.
Bob Fleming
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I know I'm showing up late to this thread, but if you haven't remedied it yet (perhaps via the magazine info), take a good look at the headspace area of the slide. After a lot of use, two things can happen that will cause this failure:

1: the top part around the firing pin hole closes in a bit causing the case to ride low
- - the headspace should be recut - larrysguns.com has a specific tool for this, but others have used different tools

2; the extreme bottom of the cutout opposite of the extractor starts to "flow" outward, which lets the case slip off from the pressure of the extractor trying to push against it for grip
- - the corner needs to be reshaped back into the headspace slightly - but, be careful - if the corner chips off, it's more work