Is 32 S&W long still popular as a target round for revolvers

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

deadeyedick

Re: Is 32 S&W long still popular as a target round for revol

Post by deadeyedick »

j danielsson
Post subject: Re: Is 32 S&W long still popular as a target round for revolPostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Mine do not eject that easily, so l do like l see the ukrainians are doing, take out the cylinder and push them out with the center rod. Hitting the rod most often.
I can live with that, and l guess l will have to do that after a conversion too.
I have got enough russian cases too last me a lifetime and l use .32 s&w L dies when reloading. It could work better but it works.
The problem as l see it is the berdan primers. I use water
And a full length expander to get them out, wich means l have to go outside because it's messy. New primers are ridiculously expensive. 3 times more than boxers is still a cheap round when finished, but it hurts anyway.
And last, l would not have time to reload if I start using the revolver. Can't get a progressive for it.
The question as l meant was, are there any advantages in performance of that cartridge vs .32 s&w l? I don't think so. Same accuracy, needs more work, needs more powder.
I initially had trouble ejecting cases from my 49, however close inspection showed that the mouth of each cylinder bore at the front of the cylinder had a minuscule champher ( possibly from over zealous cleaning by a previous owner ) or even someone with a theory that the exit should not be as sharp.

The champher allowed the case to expand slightly at this point which prevented the case sliding out easily. The degree of champher is proportionate to the degree of difficulty.

I set the cylinder up in a four jaw chuck and made a correction to the taper...enough to remove the champher. The results were spectacular and every case fell out as originally designed.

Secondly I would suggest that you do not resize 7.62 26 tapered cases to .32s&wl parallel side cases as it deforms the case in doing so and allows excessive work hardening after being fired and returned to the tapered shape.

I suggest that you google Simplex dies in Sydney ( Australia ) and purchase an inexpensive set of 7.62 26 dies from them that will cover the Toz 49 and 36 and allow your 49 to function as designed.

Lastly....all the Russian as well as Bertram cases I have use small pistol primers and are inserted and removed as with other calibres.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

I can lubricate and de-lubricate 200 cases in about two minutes
I meant Starline is only available in the longer cartridge, I have plenty of Bruce's cases.

In the past I had endless trouble with .32SWL, any small change drastically changed the group, not that they were ever good.
When I get around to it I'm going to load round ball into the Toz, I'm confident it will shoot fine.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Lee M1 Carbine carbide resizing die.... Lee M1 Carbine carbide resizing die
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

In case anyone is interested Toz revolvers came first and second at the 2018 Australian nationals, against a field of largely Pardinis.
I think it was Toz 36 first (with 294 duel, 4 points lost on the last series) Toz 49 second.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

The truth of the matter James is that those two shooters you have mentioned could have used almost any issf CF pistol and featured in the top 10.

It is usually not the pistol that is the contributing factor but years of practice with a pistol they have bonded with.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Of course. But why would they pick 30-40 year old revolvers over new Pardinis?