32cal Projectiles - Australia

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rloebler

32cal Projectiles - Australia

Post by rloebler »

I'm looking for a new source of .32S&W projectiles in Australia.

I had been using Black Widow HBWC but some recent testing in a Ransom Rest shows that they don't perform consistently in my firearm (GSP Expert). I've also noticed 4-5 grains variance between the lightest and the heaviest projectiles which may account for some of the poor groupings.

A mate recently gave me some Taipan HBWC to try out. These work great for me - too bad Malcom has retired :-(

Just wondering what projectiles people are using in their reloads. There doesn't seem to be too many options out there.

Thanks

Rick
Gregbenner

Re: 32cal Projectiles - Australia

Post by Gregbenner »

H&N seems to be the best, but not really available in the US anymore. Their .314 projectiles work great.If they are available I would highly recommend them (maybe buy a bunch and send me some..pretty please?)

I have decent results with 98gr Speer Plinker 4600 HBWCs, spending on which gun. They are advertised as .314 but the ones I have purchased are smaller, more like .3125 or so. As delivered, the accuracy seems to depend on the barrel. In my factory GSP barrel they ate decent at 25, but not so great at 50. I have resized them to .3143 in a borrowed swaging tool (to copy the H&N projectile) and they shoot excellent, as good as the H&N.

In my Dave Wilson GSP barrel (.308 dimeter, 1/10 twist) they are very accurate at 50, although not quite as consistent as the the "bumped" ones, which are excellent.

Both myself as a couple friend are now testing them in MG4s, which has a tighter barrel than a factory GSP (I think maybe .312 v .314 or so?), and they seem be be pretty good, maybe 2.5 -3" at 50, again better with the "bumped" bullets or H&Ns..

I tried some Lapua 98 gr HBWC projectiles last year, and was disappointed.

I have not had any luck with cast bullets so far, have tried Magnus and one other(?).
fc60

Post by fc60 »

G'Day Down Under,

In the USA, 32 bullets are difficult to locate. Speer is the only USA manufacturer remaining and they do not shoot very well in 0.314" barrels. However, they shoot much better in a barrel with a smaller diameter, 0.308"-0.311".

Locally, we have been taking the Speer Plinker 32 HBWC bullets and re-swaging them in custom dies to mimic the profile of the excellent H&N bullet. Now they shoot very well in most all barrels. Under two inch groups at 50 yards.

H&N are the best. Sadly, no one in the USA nor Canada import them anymore.

If you can find them in Oz at a good price they are the best we have tested. H&N make them in 0.312", 0.313", and 0.314". I always liked the 100 grain Match Greased version. They are available with Copper plate.

Lapua recently changed their bullets. I purchased some 98 grain HBWC with a dark grey coating. Thus far, we have had no luck with accuracy at 50 yards. A ten shot group may not stay on a 10" x 10" paper.

Cheers,

Dave
Rover

Post by Rover »

rloebler,

Have you considered making a few bucks by becoming the Aussie H&N distributor? Would your woman do all the work?
David M

Post by David M »

rloebler

Post by rloebler »

That's what I have been using and there not working for me. The last batch were struggling to hold the 8 ring out of the ransom rest.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

fc60 wrote:H&N are the best. Sadly, no one in the USA nor Canada import them anymore.
Rover wrote:Have you considered making a few bucks by becoming the Aussie H&N distributor?
There's one Canadian distributor for H&N listed, two USA distributors, and for Australia the closest is New Zealand.

Seems like a good Aussie business opportunity. But if the bullets aren't being imported into Canada or the USA I have to wonder what the paperwork and requirements for export/import are that prevent the distributors from taking advantage of what so many say is the best product.

I'd love to invest in a firearms related venture, but I doubt there's much to be made going through whatever is required just to get a supply of .32 bullets.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Capri

Post by Capri »

Do a search for Southern Projectiles in Adelaide
David M

Post by David M »

You havn't told us what your load was nor what pistol ?
Size,powder,dies etc.....
.32 sw long is difficult round for accuracy, very loose spec's.
My Blackwidow's are holding the 10 ring (30- 35mm outside to outside).
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Capri wrote:Do a search for Southern Projectiles in Adelaide
These are the best available in Aus, I have Peter's contact details.
I think he has some experience on advising the best type for a GSP.

There's also Bullzi - for a long time the only supplier of HBWC in Aus. Every bullet needs to be inspected for voids and inclusions. In any batch size can range from .310 to .315 so they have to be resized and undersize ones binned. If you catch him in a good mood (I did once) he will do the sizing.

Tex-guns are also OK, I've had a few thousand from there.

Otherwise Spartan, Ray Gray etc all use the same mould for BNWC.
rloebler

Post by rloebler »

David M wrote:You havn't told us what your load was nor what pistol ?
Hi David,

I'm shooting a Walther GSP Expert. Using Lapua Brass with 1.5gn WST and (previously) 98gn .314 Blackwidow projectiles.

This is my best group at 1.5gn from a ransom rest.
Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 2.57.38 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 2.57.38 pm.png (49.49 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
This is using projectiles that I have individually weighed and are the same weight +/-0.1gn. If I use a random selection of projectiles the weights vary and the group extends out to the 8 ring.
rloebler

Post by rloebler »

JamesHH wrote:

There's also Bullzi - for a long time the only supplier of HBWC in Aus. Every bullet needs to be inspected for voids and inclusions. In any batch size can range from .310 to .315 so they have to be resized and undersize ones binned. If you catch him in a good mood (I did once) he will do the sizing.

Having no luck with Southern Projectiles on Google. Please pass on Peter's contact info.

Thanks
David M

Post by David M »

Out of intrest, bullet pull one of your loads and measure the bullet diameter.
Measure top, middle and bottom of projectile.
Compare it to a unloaded new projectile.
This will tell you what your dies are doing to the bullet during loading.
If you are loading .314 with unmodified dies I bet that the bullet will
measure undersize.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

rloebler wrote:
Hi David,

I'm shooting a Walther GSP Expert. Using Lapua Brass with 1.5gn WST and (previously) 98gn .314 Blackwidow projectiles.

This is using projectiles that I have individually weighed and are the same weight +/-0.1gn. If I use a random selection of projectiles the weights vary and the group extends out to the 8 ring.

What distance is this?
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

rloebler wrote:
Hi David,

What distance is this from?
shootaholic

Post by shootaholic »

Hi Rick,
Bullzi pills are no longer available and probably a good thing as they were all over the shop in size.
Taipans were very good but I think Malcolm has also retired.

Vindicators are very good, although the early batches gave leading problems due to a poor dry lube. I used to tumble them in Lee Alox with excellent results. I'm sure the lube problem has been fixed. Tex is now situated on Cairns.
Personally I swage my own on a Corbin press where you can make whatever weight you want and the consistency is perfect.
The 38 x 148HBWCs I used to make gave me a 1" group at 50yds. I loaded them just short of the cylinder forcing cone and lightly compressed polenta over the powder.

I've just ordered an Accurate core mould to give me a cylindrical slug which is cheaper than buying lead wire.
hope this helps,
Shootaholic
Rover

Post by Rover »

Great stuff, shootaholic!!!
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

rloebler wrote:
JamesHH wrote:

Having no luck with Southern Projectiles on Google. Please pass on Peter's contact info.

Thanks
Sorry for the delay, I'll let him know, please PM me your email address.
Do you know what dia you want?
David M

Post by David M »

Sometimes we reloader's run our bullets too slow.
Typically we load for 600-700 fps (my pet velocity for .32's is 720 fps).
Here are some mfg. loads from 150mm barrel.
All are .32 S&W Long 98-100g lead wadcutter.
Aguila 705fps
Selliors & Belliot 735 fps
Fiocchi 730 fps
Lapua 787 fps
Magtec 778 fps