Which Red Dots Lately?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

matchguy

Which Red Dots Lately?

Post by matchguy »

Back about 6-7 years ago I switched my bullseye pistols to red dots, namely the Millett Multi-dots. About $70 each at the time and they have variable dot sizes. Now it seems that type of red dot has been discontinued except for the Ultra Dots that are couple hundred dollars.

What red dots are people using nowadays on their bullseye pistols that have an adjustable size dot or fixed. Many of the reflex are a pain that need to remove the unit to change the battery and they don't have a variable dot size.

Thanks!!
30harry

Re: Which Red Dots Lately?

Post by 30harry »

I had the same requirement and there were only two I found. The ultradot matchdot 2 and the nikon monarch vsd 30mm. The nikon is now also gone.

Anyone that has been to perry in the last couple of years can offer more insight. What was everyone there using?

If there are viable alternatives to the MD2, I'd also like to know about them. Repeatable/accurate elevation and windage adjustments with variable dot sizes. There are numerous reflex sights that have an "easy" to change battery but none of them have the necessary adjustments and repeat-ability.
Crockette

Post by Crockette »

Well, I have been at Perry for the last 3 years and the Ultra Dot/Match Dot is the overwhelming favorite. 30mm tube, variable dot size and 12 intensity settings, some use the Dot with external elevation adjustment.
But, I am seeing more and more Aimpoint 9000SC, and for good reason. I have The Match Dot on all my bullseye Guns, the ones I shoot and backups. I just got an Aimpoint 9000. The adjustments are repeatable, the clarity is better and the HUGE difference is the optic lenses. The Match Dot (at least mine do this) makes the image appear SMALLER. A negative magnified image, if that’s possible. With the Aimpoint I can see the scoring rings at 50 yards, not with the Match Dot. The Aimpoint is almost 2x the price but the quality is much better. They are also heavier. I like the Ultra Dots, but their quality has slipped over the years, and I’m saving for 1 more Aimpoint.
davekp

Post by davekp »

Last year at the Dixie sectional I asked the AMU armorer what they were using. He said they went to the Aimpoint 9000.
30harry

Post by 30harry »

I"ve heard about the negative magnification issue on the matchdot 2. I haven't noticed it myself but I sure do like the ability to select different sized dots. Aimpoint only has one dot size plus it is over 2 oz more in weight and about $200 more.

Positive side: unreal battery life of 50,000 hours continuous on ! ! ! ! If you forgot to turn it off and didn't look at it for SIX YEARS, it would still be working and shining brightly! !

I'll have to find one to look through and see the difference.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I have been a long time user of Ultradots, but have just switched to Aimpoints, I now have 3 H1's and a 9000sc. I had 3 failures during matches on newer UD's one was on the "repaired" dot, my older ones have never failed me. After buying a backup wad gun with an H1 on it I was sold and made the swap. It shouldn't have surprised me I had an Aimpoint 5000 on my Buckmark back in the 80's and never had a problem.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin