NEW SCATT MODEL???

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TerryHunter

Re: NEW SCATT MODEL???

Post by TerryHunter »

Argus, is your test made with TRACE generation 2 model ?
argus

Post by argus »

No Terry, it is the first generation, generation 2 did not exist at the time of the review.
Since you clearly appear to be working for Trace from your previous posts on here why don’t you tell us how good generation 2 is?
Also I am still waiting for a refund so I can return the first generation unit to you/Trace.
Seems Trace has abandoned their gen 1 users long ago, not a single feature or software update since v1.2 almost a year ago.
I will happily review one of your generation 2 units just sent one to me.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Could someone tell me why if there is a reason not to buy scatt basic?
I'm not looking for a lot of features, is there any difference between the basic performance, the sensor etc.
Thanks.
benzy2

Post by benzy2 »

That’s what I’ve been asking. It doesn’t have all the percentages/data of the pro but you get visual info. It’s certainly a good value for the casual user/beginner. I can’t see spending the extra until I’m much much more serious.
TerryHunter

Post by TerryHunter »

argus wrote:No Terry, it is the first generation, generation 2 did not exist at the time of the review.
Since you clearly appear to be working for Trace from your previous posts on here why don’t you tell us how good generation 2 is?
Also I am still waiting for a refund so I can return the first generation unit to you/Trace.
Seems Trace has abandoned their gen 1 users long ago, not a single feature or software update since v1.2 almost a year ago.
I will happily review one of your generation 2 units just sent one to me.

Regarding refund you should contact TRACE, I did not found their email but here is the contact form - https://www.traceshooting.com/contact
I guess if you want to review this new model you should buy it, I can not send you one because I do not even have generation 1 on my hands.
i will be happy to see your review and decide between gen 1, gen 2 and scatt basic
willt

Post by willt »

OK, my first post here. Long time lurker. Retired... do not work for anyone! I am considering a SCATT Basic to use on my air rifle, air pistol and .22 bullseye pistol. Is there anyone on here that has the Basic model, really likes it, thinks that it is helping them improve their scores and has no regrets buying it?
Thanks!
willt
willt

Post by willt »

Anyone... anyone...?
kristjan

Post by kristjan »

I bought it last year and it has certainly helped me. However I am an amateur shooter, so you shouldn't take my opinion too seriously. I have used it with my air pistol, .22 pistol and 9mm pistol with dry fire.

Things I like about it:
1) Most important thing for me is the convenience. I can't shoot at home and to get to the range I have to drive 30 min through traffic. Since dry firing is rather dull I can say that having this has certainly made me pick up my gun more often, which is why i bought it.
2) The tracing feature is definitely useful for analysing mistakes.
3) Accuracy of the system is good enough for pistol targets, likely also for rifle targets, but I've never tried it.

Some cons:
1) I use a really shitty laptop and the calibration phase doesn't work properly, so I sometimes have to do some tricks to get past this. However the actual shooting/tracing part works just fine.
2) Attaching the system to my old walther gsp is a bit tricky. The barrel is rectangular and the mounting plate doesn't quite reach around it, so I have had to use some improvised clamps to attach it. I know there is a barrel-insert attachment available, but i'd like to also try it with live-fire and this wouldn't work obviously.
3) Some people that I have shown it have found the fact that you have a cable dangling from the gun or somehow wrapped around the arm annoying, but I have gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me.
willt

Post by willt »

Thank you for the reply, Kristjan. It sounds like you like the Basic overall. I am an amateur shooter, too and am hoping it will help me as well.

What laptop and operating system do you have that makes calibration difficult? Hopefully something I can avoid.

Thanks again,

Willt
kristjan

Post by kristjan »

Its an old Acer laptop that cost 250€ 5 years ago. It has Celeron N2840 processor with some sort of integrated graphics chip (not sure if scatt uses processor or graphics card for the processing) and runs windows 10. However I don't think windows 10 is at fault here, since the one time I dragged my desktop computer across the room, it worked fine on that. It's most likely that the laptop is just too old and slow to run anything well.
willt

Post by willt »

Oh no. My HP with an AMD A6-4400M is actually a little older and slower than yours. Does your Acer have 8mb of RAM?
willt

Post by willt »

Update. I bought the SCATT Basic. Ordered on Monday, received it on Wednesday (today). Setup was very easy. Printed a mini B-16 for 5 yards, used two of those free, blue Harbor Freight LED lights (temporary lighting... I was in a hurry!) and calibrated and started practicing within 20 minutes. This thing is great! And the 6 year old HP with an AMD A6-4400M and 8mb of RAM works just fine. I think the SCATT Basic is really going to help me.

Wm
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

willt wrote: LED lights (temporary lighting... I was in a hurry!) Wm
Awesome that you are up and running!
An associate of mine struggled with our MX-02. I read all i could find online to troubleshoot his difficulties. What I found was that if having trouble with SCATT:
1. Check lighting. It preferrs Halogen and dislikes LED and flourescent because those actually blink at a high frequency.
2. Check lighting. It needs much more light to work reliably than humans need to shoot.
3. Check lighting setting in your program to ensure it is set properly to inside conditions.

I really didn't want the added heat of a two halogen lights in my NOT climate controlled garage. One light was not bright enough. I added two LEDs from different manufacturers and two CFB fluorescent bulbs. That is NOT what they recommended, but it is bright and the unit works reliably!
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

Good comparison video - SCATT vs Trace

https://youtu.be/oU755oJqanE
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Has anyone tried scatt with a target on a TV or monitor?

I have a flat screen TV in my shed and have made videos of target sequences, rapid fire so far.
argus

Post by argus »

JamesHH wrote:Has anyone tried scatt with a target on a TV or monitor?
Yes, the animated target used in my review video (link on previous page) was displayed on a standard LCD monitor, both devices were able to detect the target no problems.
WingsFan

Post by WingsFan »

Has anyone tested the TRACE generation 2 ? Just curious.
sturm88

Post by sturm88 »

Hi guys. Has anyone tried to use new Scatt w2? I’m gonna buy this one, but I didn’t find no one review. I need to know if WiFi module will be reliable in wet air. although it isn’t possible to use this one under rain.
does new scatt has a replaceble battery?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

sturm88 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:09 pm Hi guys. Has anyone tried to use new Scatt w2? I’m gonna buy this one, but I didn’t find no one review.
If you're asking about the MX-W2 then you might be a bit early expecting a review.
It's only just been announced so there are unlikely to be many "in the wild".
Triplef

Post by Triplef »

Hello, Scatt has put a video on youtube about the Scatt MX-W2;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10QZ5MS ... e=youtu.be
MatchGuns MG2E
Walther SSP